Kids Club Age Change

I realize all cruise lines have the same rules. What other ships were surprised by this? The only thing I've read is that NCl didn't want to pay the fees to be able to sell alcohol in certain Baltic ports.
I don't doubt passengers were surprised, but the cruise lines shouldn't have been. The Crew on the Dream was surprised. Lots of lost tips for them.
I felt badly for the staff that night, all those lost tips plus having to actually remove ALL the bottles and such only to have to put them back 24 hours later. But yes lots of tips lost that night and the port we were in that next day (was it Skagen?) boy all the restaurants and patios were packed:rotfl2:

I felt badly for the staff that night, all those lost tips plus having to actually remove ALL the bottles and such only to have to put them back 24 hours later. But yes lots of tips lost that night and the port we were in that next day (was it Skagen?) boy all the restaurants and patios were packed:rotfl2:
It didn't affect us because I only drink beer and wine and was enjoying bringing the local European beverages back onboard at every port. That is one big advantage of DCL. I would have been mad if I had been eating at Palo or Remy that night and couldn't order a bottle of wine. I would have canceled my reservation. That kind of meal deserves good wine. I did hit up the wine store in Skagen before reboarding.

Has there ever been another DCL cruise that was "dry" for 24 hours? I think we made history.

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone has recent experiences to share about Oceaneer’s club or Edge under the new age policy? I’m cruising on the magic next month with my 10 year old. He has enjoyed the kids club well enough in the past but I am not sure how things will be now that he will be one of the oldest ones. Maybe it will be a good change since the littlest kids (3/4 years) will have separate supervision and activities so the other activities will focus on older kids? I’m also wondering if more 10yr olds will prefer to go to Edge (if they have room/allow the waiver) since the ages in the kids club are now lower. Any experiences from people who have cruised under the new age limits would be most appreciated!

We were on the Dream over New Year's with an 8 yo and 11 yo. The notice of the change was quite last minute and the 11 yo expressed disappointment over not having "one last visit." However, she had been looking forward to the Edge so that part of her plans were not affected. We also were on the Dream last summer so had some point of comparison. Once onboard, we heard no complaints from either child and I think 11 yo spent more time per day at the Edge than she had at the club last summer. She made a few friends to hang out with and go to Vista Cafe for croissants. The last DCL cruise she did not have any special friends and did lots of video games I think and was no longer interested in the programming. At the Edge she more easily recognized girls her own age and they stayed together. As to the 8 yo, he spent more time in the club than before. I think the setting was more comfortable for him. So we went from upset to being pleased with how it worked out.

We were on the Dream over New Year's with an 8 yo and 11 yo. The notice of the change was quite last minute and the 11 yo expressed disappointment over not having "one last visit." However, she had been looking forward to the Edge so that part of her plans were not affected. We also were on the Dream last summer so had some point of comparison. Once onboard, we heard no complaints from either child and I think 11 yo spent more time per day at the Edge than she had at the club last summer. She made a few friends to hang out with and go to Vista Cafe for croissants. The last DCL cruise she did not have any special friends and did lots of video games I think and was no longer interested in the programming. At the Edge she more easily recognized girls her own age and they stayed together. As to the 8 yo, he spent more time in the club than before. I think the setting was more comfortable for him. So we went from upset to being pleased with how it worked out.
Glad to hear it worked well for both your kids! I am hoping my 10 year old has fun in the club (he last went when he was 8, and of course the age range was 3-12 then). I’m not super into the idea of getting a waiver for him to go to Edge unless he would be with older cousins or something (which isn’t the case for this cruise).

I'm glad to hear it worked out. I think kids have an easier time adapting than their parents.

We cannot due to being under 28 days from sail date, I asked and was told they keep 75% and I would be out the flight and hotel. I won't book another one for a long time, if ever due to the way it was handled. I feel like post COVID Disney and I have been in a abusive relationship. As an out of state WDW AP (yup the unfavorable kind) and a DVC owner I feel like every change has been a negative. Not all on DCL but a Disney trip is so much work and a fight for every little thing. This one was my last straw because it impacted my child. Usually it's just me behind the scenes juggling park reservations, dining and tours. I do hope he likes edge but regardless it's inspired me to try Royal Caribbean.
I can report back. Edge programing is updating and my son said he had a lot more fun this time as opposed to November. The cast members are trying and recognize not all kids want to sit and play video games all day. I will say I still don't think they have enough to keep kids "engaged" like the oceaneers club. I found the 12 year old wandering around with other kids at 11pm one night just being loud and kids (not obscene or rude, just obnoxious 12-14yos). He is not typically like that but when at this age they can be chameleons.

It was our 8 year old that was more impacted. He did not like being without his brother, even though they split off and go to different areas and do different things, I think he feels safe knowing his big bro is closer.

I am still looking at other lines but having a rough time with Royal, the cost looks to be very close to Disney when you add soda. I really don't know what to do now.

I’m glad your son had a better experience!

FWIW I read your review to my now 13 and almost 12 year old who were in the Edge last fall (2022) at 12 and 10.5 and they said, “man why do people say the Edge is only video games! There is SO much more to do! I mean yeah, I guess you could play video games all day, but you’d miss out on all the fun.”

That was my son's first impression on the wish. As soon as we walked into the one on the dream he was like WOW this is way better. I think it also helped that the oceaneers club is not as cool on the dream as it is on the wish. So I think ship matters to some extent.

I’m glad your son had a better experience!

FWIW I read your review to my now 13 and almost 12 year old who were in the Edge last fall (2022) at 12 and 10.5 and they said, “man why do people say the Edge is only video games! There is SO much more to do! I mean yeah, I guess you could play video games all day, but you’d miss out on all the fun.”
My kids said the video games offered in the Edge and Vibe were lame. They were years behind what they play. They preferred all actives that were offered. There are activities offered all day for kids that wish to participate.

That was my son's first impression on the wish. As soon as we walked into the one on the dream he was like WOW this is way better. I think it also helped that the oceaneers club is not as cool on the dream as it is on the wish. So I think ship matters to some extent.
Could be- we were on the Dream as well.

Agreed DCLMP- my kids enjoy video games but aren’t gamers. We only have a switch so they can’t really be. If there were better games, they would likely get sucked in, lol. But maybe that is by design by DCL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter