Kids Hearing Protection Recommendations

MinnieLovesMickey

Save the L-402!
We are taking a trip to WDW at the end of November and I'm looking for any recommendations for hearing protection headphones or earmuffs for a child.

A little backstory, DS 8 has ADHD and is very sensitive to loud noises (fireworks, Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, etc.). He wants to do all of these things on our trip, but we want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible and hopefully avoid a meltdown. I know he will still hear what's going on and that the noise won't be completely eliminated, just want to be able to manage the noise. He also has a large head, so I definitely need something that is adjustable as well as something that is lightweight.

There are so many different brands out there to choose from. I've looked at Snug Kids, HearTek Kids, and Vanderfield's earmuffs along with several other brands. There are so many to choose from that it's hard to figure out which way to go. I would love to know what fellow Disers have used for Disney and how well did they work.

Thank you all in advance.:disrocks:

You will want real ear protection headsets. I would say that a set with a "30 NRR" or greater rating will be sufficient. Fireworks will still be heard but will be much less startling and disturbing. You may have to shop around to find one of a suitable size for a child and expands as your child grows up.

Winter felt/fur ear muffs and non-hifi headsets with built in radio or MP3 player probably do not deaden noise very much.

To make fireworks sound really far away it would be necessary to use both foam ear plugs and ear muffs.

Last edited:
I lost mine on the last trip to Disney and got now par that I like a lit better then my first pair. they are pro for sho they are very light weight are 34db and come in like 5 colors

Pro for sho I have really liked them

We used Peltor Jr when DD was younger.

Enjoy your vacation!
Peltor is the one you see most in the parks and is very popular with autistic people.
This one is kids size, pink, but it comes in other color. I’ve seen kids in the parks with these decorated with Disney stickers.
Peltor is made by 3M, which is a big player in Personal Protective Equipment for industry .
Peltor Sport Earmuffs, Pink, Small, 1/Pack
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015V1VX8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_qeLQDbVYC4BZA

You will want real ear protection headsets. I would say that a set with a "30 NRR" or greater rating will be sufficient. Fireworks will still be heard but will be much less startling and disturbing. You may have to shop around to find one of a suitable size for a child and expands as your child grows up.

Winter felt/fur ear muffs and non-hifi headsets with built in radio or MP3 player probably do not deaden noise very much.

To make fireworks sound really far away it would be necessary to use both foam ear plugs and ear muffs.
the hearing protective devices that cover the ears are called earmuffs to differentiate from ear plugs that go into the ears.
maybe a bit confusing since the ones that go over the ears to keep the ears warm are also called earmuffs.
E027D09D-225B-4277-B861-0C5764EEF0CD.jpeg

Another thing to look at think about is if he might like to ride rock in roller coster ( he can wear them on this ride) but some are too thick to ride with. Look for ear protector that go in like this green pair dose BE9F2ADB-1214-42DE-A41C-8BCCD32556FF.jpeg and not like this black pair ECCF7972-32D8-4624-BAC3-86C18B4743F3.jpeg

Another thing to look at think about is if he might like to ride rock in roller coster ( he can wear them on this ride) but some are too thick to ride with. Look for ear protector that go in like this green pair dose View attachment 445595 and not like this black pair View attachment 445596
Thank you! I wasn't sure if there were ones he would be able to wear on Rock n Roller Coaster. I was figuring we would have to buy kids earplugs as well. This is great info!

Curious why?
it was way too thick when I tried to ride ( I lost my pair and had to go to Walmart to get one mid trip) the ones I got at Walmart was to thick the hardest knocked them off when I pulled it down the CM said she notice the kind I had were too big for the ride I guess it would also depend on here your head is compare to the hardest I am right where the hardest hits my ears

Thank you! I wasn't sure if there were ones he would be able to wear on Rock n Roller Coaster. I was figuring we would have to buy kids earplugs as well. This is great info!
yes you can I did not with my pair I got from Walmart since they were wider and the harness would not come down with out nocking them off. Pulled out my Disney bag with both pair of ear protector the ones on the left were too big for rock n roller coster harness the ones on the right were not

Attachments

• 65818F8A-953F-4E8F-BD19-FB2FC9583B4F.jpeg
    65818F8A-953F-4E8F-BD19-FB2FC9583B4F.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
yes you can I did not with my pair I got from Walmart since they were wider and the harness would not come down with out nocking them off. Pulled out my Disney bag with both pair of ear protector the ones on the left were too big for rock n roller coster harness the ones on the right were not
the Peltor ones look much thinner than the ones you said were too wide. They look about the same size (or maybe slightly smaller) than the smaller ones in your picture.

I was very careful about hearing protection when my children were small. I had protection for the whole family, but we used the ear plugs like DH and I used at work. They are soft foam, tapered ear plugs attached to each other by a plastic thread that we would drape around out necks under our shirts so they were out of sight but not lost when not needed.
The trick to using them in a way that works and is comfortable is to really roll them between your fingers to squish them for longer than you think you should - roll them until they are as small as possible, about the diameter of the stick on a q-tip. Then hold the back of the ear to help straighten the ear canal and insert the ear plugs at the angle of the ear canal. It took practice - on me so as to not annoy the children - to be able to do the ear plug insertion quickly. The ear plug will puff out to plug the ear canal and dampen noise. The ones we had were very soft - much softer than the straight cylinders that claim to be soft or the ones that look like stacked flying saucers or the ones designed for ear troubles on flights. At least that was our experience, YMMV.

Some brands of ear plugs start to repuff out too quickly especially when re-used for the third time or even for the second time. This makes it hard to insert them. You will need to try several brands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter