Kids missing school for WDW trip...

Think of it like this: Will you kids remember this trip next year, the year after, when they are moms and dads? And then think what will they remember about that one week of school? Teachers may disagree, but the most important things I've learned come from my parents providing me with a stable family life, including awesome family vacations. Looking back, I know we were on a budget but it never mattered. We were a family. And that's what I remember. I'm taking my 13 year old dd out of school for a week a few weeks after school starts in September, and have no second thoughts. I never even questioned it. I provide her with a good learning environment year-round, and to me this just enriches it. May not be the same for everyone, but this works for our family.

We also take our kids out of school, and I agree with many of the other posters- the kids get alot more out of that vacation then they do the few days of school they will miss.

Last year was the first time we took the kids out of school and I worried about it for months if it was the right thing to do.. IT WAS!!

The teachers were great, my DD's(9) teacher made up some questions on the difference between Michigan and Florida, how many miles, etc. she even had us gather some brochures, menu's etc. We all had fun with her assignment. She also had to write in a journal a little bit each day (25 words). Our other DD was a JR in HS and her teachers gave her assignments the week before we left and she had all of the work done ahead of time.

Ignore the people who don't agree, and make the memories that last a lifetime.

Denise

Just a little insight...my mom just retired after teaching elementary school for 16 years, my husband taught jr/sr. high for 16 years and I taught college for many years as a tenured professor and am certified to teach in 7-12 and have worked in administration in h.s.for a number of yes....my answer...DO IT and don't look back.

Unless your child is struggling considerably...it will all work out. My mom always says that kids who have parents who are involved with them and in their education typically tend to do fine. If you are even concerned about taking them out of school then I would say you fall into this category.

Besides, a lot of people are home schooling these days. I haven't heard any of them saying they don't take trips because their children will miss the work that they would have done at home. A lot of learning can take place on trips of this nature, depending on the age. Let the teacher know you are going and then ask what they would like you to do while you are gone in regards to school work. In elementary school many teachers will give you some worksheets and alot won't bother to give you anything. That being said, if they do give you work, please make sure you have your child do it. Consider the time they spend in pulling this work together and be considerate of that. It always irrated my mom when she put together work for the child and the it was never returned.

High school gets a bit trickier but WDW is very educational at the age especially in the area of history, geography, culture and science. Lots of things that can be done to "compensate" for the time that they have lost. At this age, students can even come up with some suggestions that would align closely with what the are studying.

I am a firm believer in family time. Kids are only home for a short amount of time and then they are all grown up. This year I am evaluating charter schools for my son and one of the questions I ask is in regards to missing time from school. So far, all of them say, have a great time (and by the way do you want to take me?). GO FOR IT and never look back.

Hey dcedwards--I was just thinking, "Well golly, this is just one of the many reasons that I homeschool! Don't have to ask anyone's permission for the choices I make for MY children."

We are going to WDW in Dec for two weeks and plan on it being a wonderful learinig experience in map reading, social studies, geography, math (If you have 12 disney dollars and you spend 4 of them...) Truly the whole world can be a classroom and to the original poster--go for it! Your children will gain so much from the time spent with you and your trip will be so much more enjoyable in the off season!

Have a great time!

disneymom3, I don't homeschool but when we go in December I too plan on it being a learning experience along with the fun. I can't wait.

I'm taking my boys 9 and 17 the same time you are. I did last year with no regrets. It did not create any problems. I let the teachers know in advance so they can assign homework for any work missed. I enjoyed seeing them learn new things at Disney, which I'm sure they wouldn't have at school.

We did it in 2000 and we are doing it again in 2002....They are our kids and we will make the decisions....

We do try to add our own learning into the equation though...we do a lot on the countries of Epcot. We make a notebook that each kid researches a certain country and they take the notebooks to the Kidcot stations....some countries the CM's from that country spend extra time talking to my kids about there countries....great learning experience......

No, we took my 6 yo out of school the 2nd week of December when she was in 1st grade 2 years ago. Because they are getting ready to be out for Christmas anyway, we found that she really wasn't missing very much. She did her work in the car on the way to WDW, and finished up when we returned on the Sunday prior to going back. It didn't affect her grades, and she had a wonderful time. Those are memories she will keep and cherish for a lifetime. Family time is very important... take advantage of that time to do things for your family, and the rest will take care of itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter