Kitchen and bathroom remodel advice

We met with our designer yesterday to go over her 4 possible ideas for our kitchen and they all had almost exclusively lower drawers.

there was an occasional cabinet for the stand mixer and then floor to ceiling pantry cabinets (8” and 12” depth for us), but that’s it.

so far the experience with the designer has been excellent and well worth the cost even if we were to walk away and go with a different cabinet company / contractor. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is really spending a lot and doing a remodel vs a facelift!! The ideas and her understanding about usage and flow are amazing!

We remodeled after Katrina and took the house down to studs. One of hubby's ideas was to put tile under the cabinets not just to the edge of them. That way if we ever flooded again we would not have to take up tile like we did when we re-did the pre-Katrina kitchen. So if the cabinets go my awesome hopscotch design patterned tile stays.

I have Kraftmaid cabinets because I loved the cabinet door design, color and glaze...I loved the pulls on their display...it took several weeks but I found the manufacturer online. They sold them direct, half price. The cabinet guys thought they looked great. Be sure to get cabinets in your corners that go all the way to the corner, a blind corner cabinet for extra storage. Many people get a cabinet over the fridge that juts out to met the top edge of the fridge making it easier to use. Well they did 15 years ago. Get a larger pantry than you think you will need and I went to the ceiling with my cabinets for extra space. I did knobs on the door and handles on my drawers for a change. Did not do a backsplash and just have a nice color paint, which I continue to love. DH had to have a small tv in the corner. I was horrified at the time but it is my favorite tv now and we watch it all the time. We mounted the microwave to get it off the counter and I got a flat glass top slide in stove ( I never really cook) so I could extend the flat countertop with my granite.

In my bathrooms I have the 15 year old cultured marble surround. We got them 6 feet high instead of the usual 5 foot height above the tub....the shower head is within that 6 feet and not at the top of it which makes it look nice I think. I am sure your home will be beautiful and mine is now out of date...but I got what I wanted and have enjoyed every inch of it. I hope some of these things make you think about what you like and you will enjoy the process like we did. DH only had a couple of requests and let me pick out what I wanted. It all came together in the end.

The first time I saw the lobby at AKV-J I felt I was at home because we have similar colors and vibe. Wishing you fun and joy as you design.

We met with our designer yesterday to go over her 4 possible ideas for our kitchen and they all had almost exclusively lower drawers.

there was an occasional cabinet for the stand mixer and then floor to ceiling pantry cabinets (8” and 12” depth for us), but that’s it.

so far the experience with the designer has been excellent and well worth the cost even if we were to walk away and go with a different cabinet company / contractor. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is really spending a lot and doing a remodel vs a facelift!! The ideas and her understanding about usage and flow are amazing!
My kitchen designer is from the cabinet place and he gave me a preliminary design, but it seems like he's just doing what I tell him and not voicing an opinion. He's been doing stuff virtually (Covid-19) which has been hard, but we are opening up a bit next week so he's coming over and maybe we can have a better conversation in person.

We gutted and renovated our kitchen when we moved in 7 years ago. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure your contractor is really okay. We thought ours was but we didn't delve deep enough. After the work starts, you're not exactly stuck with this person/crew, but it's a pain to fire one contractor and hire someone else, especially in the midst of a job. The next biggest piece of advice is to monitor every single thing that's being done. If something isn't right, say so and get it fixed immediately. Do not let the contractor make design or material decisions for you.

PPs have noted an important point, which I'll repeat: Whatever you do, it's going to look dated or undesirable to a future buyer. That's just how it is. People have different tastes and nothing looks new after 10 or 15 years. So get what you like and will enjoy seeing and using for the next decade or so.

My kitchen designer is from the cabinet place and he gave me a preliminary design, but it seems like he's just doing what I tell him and not voicing an opinion. He's been doing stuff virtually (Covid-19) which has been hard, but we are opening up a bit next week so he's coming over and maybe we can have a better conversation in person.

a similar thing happened with a friend of mine here Recently and I felt the same way with the cabinet designer doing my bathroom plans. They seemed like they were just trying to get a layout that fit and not so much trying to design something that suited our needs.

Some things that we are going forward with based on the decision to use a designer ....

* corner cabinets suck - Consider using that space for the stove or the sink instead!
* watch for your cleanup zone - dishwasher, sink, trash...they should all be in that order (or flipped) for ease of use.
*make sure that when the dishwasher is open - you can easily pivot to put your dishes away -and not place them intermediately on the counter until after you close the dishwasher door to get to those upper shelves!!

these are not from my kitchen but are from an old floor model at our design office to show off the corner usage (the dishwasher is dish drawers on the right of the sink in this photo - pull them out and pivot to put things in the upper cabinets.

86E825E6-8312-42D6-A9F1-3847642A1D1E.jpegE72F4649-FE96-4150-9D4E-90665C2ABF11.jpeg86E825E6-8312-42D6-A9F1-3847642A1D1E.jpeg

My kitchen is a galley with a seating area by a bay window. Here are the design renderings. I think the two tall pantry cabinets on both sides of the window will be claustrophobic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-092547_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-092547_Gallery.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20200531-092543_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-092543_Gallery.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20200531-092539_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-092539_Gallery.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200531-092529_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-092529_Gallery.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 48

I like the tall cabinets, that window is so big that they help to anchor it. The kids can put some of there pens and paper away to use the dining table for homework. You can store your more fancy dishes in one or use them both for pantry items. I really liek the amount of counterspace around the corner and stove for when you host Thanksgiving or get togethers, you can set up a buffet or sorts.

My other questions is...do you really need the trash compactor or appliance to the right of the fridge? I realize this is just a preliminary design. I would rather have another cabinet...really a drawer stack for the silverware and other utensils, tupperware you are taking out of the dishwasher. So you don't have to turn around and place them somewhere on the other side of the galley.

I would decide how thick the window trim will be or is and make those tall cabinets as wide as possible actually.

My other questions is...do you really need the trash compactor or appliance to the right of the fridge? I realize this is just a preliminary design. I would rather have another cabinet...really a drawer stack for the silverware and other utensils, tupperware you are taking out of the dishwasher. So you don't have to turn around and place them somewhere on the other side of the galley.

I would decide how thick the window trim will be or is and make those tall cabinets as wide as possible actually.
That will probably be a pull out garbage in the final design.

I like the tall cabinets, that window is so big that they help to anchor it. The kids can put some of there pens and paper away to use the dining table for homework. You can store your more fancy dishes in one or use them both for pantry items. I really liek the amount of counterspace around the corner and stove for when you host Thanksgiving or get togethers, you can set up a buffet or sorts.
I should add that I have a formal dining room where I have a huge table. I qas thinking of building a window seat (with storage) and putting in a Cafe table just for breakfast.

I should add that I have a formal dining room where I have a huge table. I qas thinking of building a window seat (with storage) and putting in a Cafe table just for breakfast.

I think with the way they have built into the space, the window seat would feel "good" but any table on top of that would start feeling claustrophobic.

I also agree with PP that you don't have enough cabinets near the sink/dishwasher...and if you have a trash area, I'd actually swap it to the other side near your oven and counters for food prep...and put a cabinet for either dishes or pot/pans by the dishwasher...so you have the item where you need it and aren't crossing the kitchen over and over...

PS - Have them measure the space from the pantry to the counter and see what you really have to work with...in my bathroom, I was a fascistic measurer so I knew what could fit and how it would feel...

We did an after design for our garbage and bought a kit...then put the garbage on the other side near the garage door in a cabinet. In your kitchen I would put it under the sink...and still use a drawer stack in that location. I would not take up that cabinet space in that area for a garbage pull out. I would use every available space and actually put the pull out garbage in one of those tall cabinets by the door? I would like having more cabinetry near the dishwasher.

I did not have a cookie sheet cabinet in the design of my kitchen on the left of my sink...I had a small stack of drawers. these drawers stayed in the design until my cabinets arrived and were installed. I came home that day and was like WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Their excuse was the width of the drawers was too small and could possibly interfere in the corner when pulled out. The only thing they could put there was the stupid cookie sheet cabinet. No one asked me and I was furious. But I had to keep in mind folks along 100 miles of coastline were all getting new kitchens at the same time. Well 15 years later I do use it but it is still a stupid cabinet and not one I like. So be sure to approve everything. Make sure they include extra strip molding in the color of your cabinets to fill in any gaps....seems my guys were glad to have some.

OK I feel myself getting obsessed with your kitchen design :rolleyes:. Is the left door or the fridge going to be able to open like it should against the wall? :flower3: Worrying about your kitch0ne this morning is helping me forget...

I would really like to add a 10th night in a value studio at Jambo this morning...if I get it i would have 10 nights there and still be within the new usage of points rule. So thank you for your kitchen today.

:tongue:
OOOOHHH! I'm with TwoMisfits...what if we took out that one open faced cabinet on the end and made that a full cabinet down to the counter, but inset a little...or covered it with a door so you could store whatever you liked in it. Again I go between you and the resort availability tool this morning. I like the idea of the small cafe set in front or the window/or a bench seat but not both. You could also do half cabinets there but what would you put on top...and if it is countertop, that might look weird. No I like the tall cabinets for more space.

Oooh lets see if there is a value studio....I'll be back in a minute. :teleport:

OK I feel myself getting obsessed with your kitchen design :rolleyes:. Is the left door or the fridge going to be able to open like it should against the wall? :flower3: Worrying about your kitch0ne this morning is helping me forget...

I would really like to add a 10th night in a value studio at Jambo this morning...if I get it i would have 10 nights there and still be within the new usage of points rule. So thank you for your kitchen today.
Actually, that's the impetus for redoing the kichen. Right now the door does not open and it truves me crazy. I am widening the opening to the dining room and it WILL allow a full operation of the door. Good luck with your reservation!

PPs have noted an important point, which I'll repeat: Whatever you do, it's going to look dated or undesirable to a future buyer. That's just how it is. People have different tastes and nothing looks new after 10 or 15 years. So get what you like and will enjoy seeing and using for the next decade or so.
What you want and function should be the deciding factors, not what someone down the road might like when (and if) you sell. But I always put function over what's in style. And Lord knows one of the more expensive areas around here was built in the 1930, and people flock to those homes because they want a 1930's home. Detached garage or no garage at all, tiny bathrooms and tiny kitchens. I don't get that.

I think with the way they have built into the space, the window seat would feel "good" but any table on top of that would start feeling claustrophobic.

I also agree with PP that you don't have enough cabinets near the sink/dishwasher...and if you have a trash area, I'd actually swap it to the other side near your oven and counters for food prep...and put a cabinet for either dishes or pot/pans by the dishwasher...so you have the item where you need it and aren't crossing the kitchen over and over...

PS - Have them measure the space from the pantry to the counter and see what you really have to work with...in my bathroom, I was a fascistic measurer so I knew what could fit and how it would feel...

A window seat will give me more storage. I need to talk to my contractor because the cabinet goy isn't doing that part.

* corner cabinets suck - Consider using that space for the stove or the sink instead!

View attachment 498146
Well designed corner cabinets don't suck. The fronts of of corner cabinets are angled just like the front of the stove here, but with lazy susans inside, they are the most amazing use of a corner I have ever seen. You can get a ton of stuff in there, and just spin the lazy susan to rotate the stuff in the back to the front. I do see a no no in this photo at least according to our designer. Putting the microwave over the stove. We have a drawer microwave to the left of our stove and it so nice that more than one person can be doing stuff in the kitchen that way. It so improved the flow in our kitchen

Well designed corner cabinets don't suck. The fronts of of corner cabinets are angled just like the front of the stove here, but with lazy susans inside, they are the most amazing use of a corner I have ever seen. You can get a ton of stuff in there, and just spin the lazy susan to rotate the stuff in the back to the front. I do see a no no in this photo at least according to our designer. Putting the microwave over the stove. We have a drawer microwave to the left of our stove and it so nice that more than one person can be doing stuff in the kitchen that way. It so improved the flow in our kitchen
I just can't see where else to put the microwave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter