Kitting Tutorial (with pictures)

Oh Susan, she just makes MORE kits.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Me, I just stuff the stuff in a drawer. Which why I can never find what I'm looking for later.

me too, or worse I throw it away!

After I finish with a bag (I always have more than 12 bag with me) I start using that to collect the extras from each kit. Ideally when I get home I would sort things back out. I try to keep a spot for paper scraps that need to be cut and sorted- I have them all in one iris box now and I am trying to continually put them there until I have time to sort them out.

Swap items I didn't use go back into their drawers (again ideally right away but sometimes it takes awhile to sort out that bag. I just did one of my bags from SDV the other day.

If they are ribbons and other things I keep by color I put them in an empty box until I have enough collected that I am going to sort and put away.

Rebecca

I knew you would have a good plan. PLEASE come to my house and organize my life!

I knew you would have a good plan. PLEASE come to my house and organize my life!

I have a good plan that doesn't mean I always execute it though. No way would I travel North at this time of year. I was freezing outside today- I think we were in the upper 60s and lower 70s. I love my Florida summers- the heat doesn't bother me at all but even just moving an hour North I can feel the difference in the coldness.

Rebecca

Oh Susan, she just makes MORE kits.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Me, I just stuff the stuff in a drawer. Which why I can never find what I'm looking for later.

I can't just stuff it in a drawer- there are no extra drawers in my scrap room. But it does sometimes sit in the put away box for a couple of months before it gets put away or as you say i make more kits.

I have a good plan that doesn't mean I always execute it though. No way would I travel North at this time of year. I was freezing outside today- I think we were in the upper 60s and lower 70s. I love my Florida summers- the heat doesn't bother me at all but even just moving an hour North I can feel the difference in the coldness.

Rebecca

As you know, I'm an hour North of you, and I slept with the space heater on all night last night - might do it again tonight!!! It's 61 degrees right now, but I am cccooolllldddd!

I sort of do this....I started about 2 books ago sorting a different way to speed up actually making the book (which I don't actually do that often :))

I tend to only scrap Disney trips and leave my poor son's life undocumented after he was about 3 (today is his 8th birthday) :lmao:. So I print a bazillion pictures, sort by park then rest of misc disney. Then I pull the swap items out for each grouping of pictures within a park (by ride or land or whatever) and I put the pictures into a baggie with the associated swap items. Since I've been using so many swap items, I am finding myself using more solid paper to scrap with so I just bring along a lot of solid paper. Wish I was going to more crops (another goal for myself to take time for myself is to scrap with friends!) but I do this when we camp or any other travel. I am clearing out my scrap/craft room now and putting in a very cool and large desk with overhead that we had from our townhouse so I am hoping to get very inspired to actually start to create books again once I get a room that works for that!

Kitting is what I'm working on this week, for next week's crop. I'm doing Disney pages - so hopefully leftovers from one page will be used on some subsequent page. Sometimes at home, I'll make a card when the leftovers get too small for pages.

The only "Crop" issue that kitting doesn't solve, is my tendency to spend too much time talking and wandering around than actually working.

I also kit layouts. I tend to cut mats and sometimes glue a few items together. I just finished 30 layouts, some that I kitted over a year ago!

Hi - I'm new to the Scrapbooking forum and threads but wanted to let rlovew know that I adapted her kit method to my mammoth Disney scrapbooking project. I have 15 Disney trips (1979 thru 2017) to get into scrapbooks and have completed 5 so far since about April or about 36 pages front and back.

Here's my process:
  • Each multi-day trip has its own big 13" x 13" expandable plastic envelope. Everything including tickets, photos, maps, programs and trip notes fits inside.
  • Once I'm ready to scrap a trip I sort the contents into 8" x 11" plastic page protectors (the kind Staples etc. sells) by park and event i.e. Magic Kingdom, travel, Hoop Dee Doo Revue etc.
  • Since I scrap on 12" x 12" cardstock the paper doesn't fit but if I am using any 8" x 11" paper on a page I put that into the plastic sleeve as well.
  • I also pull any stickers, borders, postcards, die cuts and alphabets for a park or event from my massive 5" Disney binder.
  • If I decide to add titles, notes etc. I type them out when I do the page.
  • The plastic sleeves sit in a pile ready for scrapping when I have time.
When I finally get all of Disney done I still need to do years of family photos and other family trips to Yosemite etc. I think this method can be adapted for these as well!

Thanks for the inspiration rlovew!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!