Kohl's Returns...Check your Sales Taxes!

starry_solo

DIS Veteran
For those of you who live in states with sales tax (mine is almost 9% in CA), just be on the lookout with your receipts and returns.

I purchased a $299.99 vacuum + $1.99 hangers (to get me over the $300 mark for Kohl's cash) and got $60 Kohl's cash. So spent $328 and change.

I ended up finding the vacuum cheaper a few weeks later (by $70 and I still got $40 Kohl's cash in this new transaction) but had already spent the Kohl's cash earned in the original purchase ($60). I knew the amount of the Kohl's cash ($60) would reduce the return and was fine with that. But what I didn't know is that they would take the Kohl's cash off the $299.99 first, and then calculate taxes from that amount (so refunded taxes from the $239.99 vs $299.99). So my $2 hangers ended up costing $7 and change!

I did the online chat when I got home and realized it, only to be told I have to go back to the store to get it fixed. That there was nothing online chat could do for me (even though the order was an online order, returned in store). So I'll be doing that next time I head there. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble.

For those of you who live in states with sales tax (mine is almost 9% in CA), just be on the lookout with your receipts and returns.

I purchased a $299.99 vacuum + $1.99 hangers (to get me over the $300 mark for Kohl's cash) and got $60 Kohl's cash. So spent $328 and change.

I ended up finding the vacuum cheaper a few weeks later (by $70 and I still got $40 Kohl's cash in this new transaction) but had already spent the Kohl's cash earned in the original purchase ($60). I knew the amount of the Kohl's cash ($60) would reduce the return and was fine with that. But what I didn't know is that they would take the Kohl's cash off the $299.99 first, and then calculate taxes from that amount (so refunded taxes from the $239.99 vs $299.99). So my $2 hangers ended up costing $7 and change!

I did the online chat when I got home and realized it, only to be told I have to go back to the store to get it fixed. That there was nothing online chat could do for me (even though the order was an online order, returned in store). So I'll be doing that next time I head there. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble.
I've stopped shopping at Kohl's. I was tired of their gimmicky Kohl's Cash game and stuff like you posted above. I hope they'll make it right for you, but don't count on it.

Kohl's Cash and Kohl's coupon math is the worst - I'm not surprised. I never spend Kohl's cash until after I have received my order and know I have nothing I need to return. And if I use Kohl's cash or a coupon code that applies to only part of an order (which is true in more and more cases these days) and I end up needing to return something from the order, I return the whole darn order and then start over.

Last edited:
^^i would have, except this dumb Kohls cash expires before my item came in!

If I knew that the store would still honor expired Kohls cash, I would have waited.

Yeah we pretty much gave up on Kohl's unless it's clearance shopping and even that is pretty slim. I don't like playing the kohl's cash game and then having to remember to use it. Not worth all the hassle usually.

You're lucky you have only 2 items. Hopefully they correct it easily. I had some items to return last Christmas with about 10 items on the receipt, discount coupon codes, (and spent the Kohl's cash also), so I broke it out ahead of time on paper. The customer service person insisted the computer was right, and just couldn't comprehend the math. I just gave up (my 2yo was tired after a 40 min wait in line). Lesson learned. I never buy lots of items on a single receipt if I know there's a chance it getting returned.

Ugh. I like Kohl’s but I agree that dealing with discounts, Kohl’s cash, and returns is messy.

I once had a Kohl’s discount correction work in my favor. My DH bought 2 pairs of shoes at Kohl’s and had a 15% coupon. The shoes cost $100 so he got $15 off. I had a 30% coupon and would have had him use that but I didn’t know he was stopping at Kohl’s. I took the shoes, receipt and the 30% coupon back to Kohl’s and asked for an adjustment. I should have been credited an additional $15. Well whatever the cashier did I got an additional $22.50 credited instead. I ended up getting over 40% off.

I suppose it varies by state, but here in CT, you have to pay sales tax before a coupon is deducted, so if your state has that rule, it might account for the discrepancy that you are seeing.

I suppose it varies by state, but here in CT, you have to pay sales tax before a coupon is deducted, so if your state has that rule, it might account for the discrepancy that you are seeing.

Didn't realize anywhere did that. That's a bummer. I'm glad we don't have that here since our sales tax is 10%, ugh.

What I don't understand is when I buy a item at the Costco in Oregon for $100 with no sales tax and return it to a Washington Costco store in Seattle they give me $110 back. $100 + 10% sales tax. Makes no sense.

What I don't understand is when I buy a item at the Costco in Oregon for $100 with no sales tax and return it to a Washington Costco store in Seattle they give me $110 back. $100 + 10% sales tax. Makes no sense.
Most retailers system only recognize the tax in that store. Cashiers should be looking at the tax but they dont. That's why you get the most back. If they take your ID each time careful because you will eventually get banned from returns for life. If they don't ask for UlID then no worries.

Most retailers system only recognize the tax in that store. Cashiers should be looking at the tax but they dont. That's why you get the most back. If they take your ID each time careful because you will eventually get banned from returns for life. If they don't ask for UlID then no worries.

They know who you are when you are regardless.

I shop at Kohls, but less and less lately. I always in the past have been able to find what I call normal every day clothing such pants or jean... You know not the skinny, stuck to every imperfection, low cut type, or jegging honestly what is that all about... but that is a completely different subject. They use to be my go to for the grandkids clothing. Not so much now. I can go to the outlet mall, and get name brand for what Kohl's is charging for their store brand.

When I do get Kohls cash, I tend to spend it on something for me, or the house ( sheets, towels) that I know that I will not be returning it. Because of all the hassle of their return policies, and how they change constantly and are not consistent between stores or even managers within the same store.

Not true. The amount of the coupon is deducted first then sales tax added. I am a frequent coupon in CT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter