Kona Cafe- yay or nay?

gulliesmom

Mouseketeer
Looking for something casual during our stay Thanksgiving week. We are staying at the GF so was thinking it would be nice to be able to just walk over to the Poly and grab a drink and a meal. We love sushi and overall the menu looks appealing. Any reviews recently good or bad?

Kona Cafe is one of our favorite low key TS restaurants. We last ate there in December 2017 and were really pleased as we almost always are with Kona. Planning to eat there again in less than two weeks!

Yay! We have been to Kona several times (most recently in June), for breakfast, dinner and sushi, and have always been happy with the food and service. I love the Poke appetizer.

Kona was the first Disney restaurant we ate at. I had low expectation on what we would find there and am happy to say I was wrong wrong wrong. The salmon entree is generally a center cut and the flesh is quite tender. The kids liked the dumplings and salad and I no longer recall what the other dishes were but I know all the plates were empty at the end of the meal. The service staff is efficient and jovial but not overly so. Somehow we have never had either sushi or sashimi there but it's certainly freshly made.Sometimes you have to wait but reception takes your number and calls when your table is ready. You can wander around the lobby (might be decorated for Christmas when you are visiting) or window shop while you wait.

DH and I love Kona Cafe for breakfast. For lunch and dinner, not so much. We also love O'hana for dinner. Just our opinion :)

love Kona esp if your staying at the Poly - quietier than Ohana for obvious reasons, and still get to enjoy the beauty of the Poly :)

We never miss Kona. One of the best meals every trip. Especially if you can get them to slip you a serving of 'Ohana bread pudding for dessert. :)

Yay but I have to say I've been there for Lunch and it was amazing and went for Dinner ordered the exact same thing and it was presented a totally different way but it wasn't as amazing but still excellent. So I will say I loved lunch better then dinner.

Last edited:
We usually do Kona for breakfast, but on our last trip we had Kona for dinner and the sushi was AMAZING. We have decided that it is now on our must-do list. Not a negative thing to say. :)

Kona for dinner has been hit or miss for us. After a terrible meal there a couple of years ago, we gave it a try this summer and enjoyed our food. I would not go out of my way to eat dinner there unless I was staying at the Poly. On the same trip, we really enjoyed our meals at the GF Cafe, both breakfast and dinner.

Had lunch there a couple of weeks ago before the horrorific party at mk. The food was quite good, reasonably priced, and we could each have some drinks before attempting the throng of party humanity. I wish we’d drank more.

The poke was better than anticipated and the pot stickers must have been because with 2 orders the kids ate all of them - and they’re little. Everyone ate some sushi.

ETA: the kids didn't get drinks of course, beside Sprite;)

Last edited:
I'm a long time fan BUT ate there in August and the dishes had changed..the teriyaki rib eye is no longer on the menu and the composition of the asian noodle bowl has changed and it was very mediocre. I was so disappointed! Pot stickers were very good.

I am another "Nay" vote. I did not like the food. Also felt the menu choices were limited.

Yay, we always stop there for a meal. Lunch is very good, and breakfast even better.

Kona is very reliable and always gettable! I used to go for breakfast and last year I had a ressie but woke up late and got there past 11, and they still honored my ressie but informed me it was now the lunch menu, which I was cool with, though I had never been there for lunch, but I had a delicious one, I can tell you that, and was very impressed. There's not alot of varied options on the menu and it is somewhat adventurous and in keeping with the theme of the resort, of course, so consider that, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter