Konica/Minolta 5D w/kit lens?

YEKCIM

DIS Veteran
Anyone here using a K/M 5D with the 18-70mm kit lens? I've narrowed my digicam search down to thirty or forty cameras... That is an exaggeration, but not by much. There are *so* many models, from so many manufacturers, and it is really bewildering. Almost as confusing as trying to plan a trip to Mickey's World! So many choices...so many tradeoffs.

Anyhow, I'm mulling the relative merits of less cost/more portable/less capability vs. more cost/more bulk/more capabilty. On top of that, I already own a bunch of Maxxum lenses for my old film Maxxum. That, combined with the price point ($600AR, online) is making me think that I really need to take a serious look at the 5D, instead of a P&S (Canon A610/620) or "Megazoom" (Canon Pro1 or S2 IS, or Sony H1).

Our present "family" digicam is a lowly Canon A75 3.2MP/3X Optical P&S and we have been very happy with it. It is also our first digital, so we are still learning. My wife and 7YO daughter fight over the A75, and I use the 2.2MP still capability of my Canon Optura 30 camcorder which, when the light is good, actually does a pretty good job; however, when the light is not optimal, the results suffer considerably.

Anyhow, if anyone has comments directed specifically to this camera, or helpful comments/suggestions of a less specific nature, I'd appreciate hearing them.

~YEKCIM

Present Maxxum equipment:

Two 7000i bodies
50mm Maxxum lens
24mm Maxxum lens
28-85mm Maxxum zoom lens
70-210 Maxxum zoom lens
100-300 Maxxum zoom lens
AF2800 Maxxum flash (with adapter for use on i-series)
AF4000 Maxxum flash (with adapter for use on i-series)

I have a 7D. I started off looking at the 5D and ended up realizing that with the $200 rebate they have going on the 7D that I could get a 7D for not much more than the 5D. So far I'm pleased with it.

I took it to WDW last week and am in the process of editing the RAW images I shot but overall I got some good ones!

The thing that appealed to me was the Image Stabilization built in to the body of the camera. This was quite helpful for low light shots where they are asking for no flash photography or where a flash washes everything out (or as my DH said...when looking like a crazy woman photographing our food, it draws less attention to my craziness if I am not using a flash :teeth:). Also helpful when using a zoom lens and not having a tripod. I tossed far fewer pictures this time due to camera shake than I have in previos trips AND I was using a "bigger" zoom than I have in the past.

The lens that came with the camera (a 28-100) is a little softer than I'd like but I got a great deal so it was worth getting.

I'll be glad to post a link to photos once I get them up

I'd greatly appreciate your linking your pix. The 18-70mm kit lens that comes with the 5D is more to my liking, and in reading the reviews, the 5D seems very capable, for the money. I'm seriously considering it, with maybe a decent P&S down the road someplace. I'll be back at Mickey's World (at my company's expense, no less!) in July, so I've got some time to ponder this. Thanks for your reply. I'll be looking forward to seeing your M/W pix, for a couple of reasons!

BTW, have you used the K/M DIMAGE editing software that comes with the camera and, if so, how do you like it?

~YEKCIM

YEKCIM said:
I'll be back at Mickey's World (at my company's expense, no less!) in July, so I've got some time to ponder this. Thanks for your reply. I'll be looking forward to seeing your M/W pix, for a couple of reasons!

BTW, have you used the K/M DIMAGE editing software that comes with the camera and, if so, how do you like it?

~YEKCIM

Hi,

I'm guessing, and I often guess wrong, that both the 5D and 7D will cost less in June than they do today. Glass slipper girl is right about the 7D not costing much more than the 5D. She mentioned her 28 to 100 was a little soft, but that she got a great deal. I haven't used it, but for the great deal price, I've read and heard good things about it. There is also a 28 to 85mm by Minolta; do not buy that one! If you can afford the Minolta 24 to 105mm, buy it. They have also introduced some lenses specifically for the 5D and 7D; I don't have any experience with those.

I have the Dimage software, but I'm still trying to figure out any and all software.

Jim

For the record, and anyone else following this thread:

7D with 28-100mm lens $969AR @ Butterfly
5D with 18-70mm lens $682AR shipped @ Butterfly

Is the 7D really almost $300 better than the 5D? Also, at least for me, the 18-70mm lens, unless it is just junk, is a better "walkaround" lens, covering decent wide angle to portrait tele. Just my $0.02.

Just be aware that although it comes with anti-shake within the body (which is about 2-stop help) the noise level at ISO 400 is a tad worse than a Canon at ISO 1600 (which is also a 2-stop difference).

What I'm trying to say is that either you use ISO 400 on the Maxxum (with AS on) or ISO 1600 on a Canon RebelXT, you'll get the same shutter speed, aperture and grain level... oh, but a much faster start-up time on the Canon.

If you already have a slew of Minolta lenses, however, then Minolta is the only way to go.

YEKCIM said:
For the record, and anyone else following this thread:

Is the 7D really almost $300 better than the 5D? Also, at least for me, the 18-70mm lens, unless it is just junk, is a better "walkaround" lens, covering decent wide angle to portrait tele. Just my $0.02.

Hi,

I've never used the 5D so I can't compare them. but from what I've read it sounds like plenty of camera. I don't know much about the 18-70 mm, but that seems like a really good range. I really like that my 100-300mm now goes out to 450mm, but my 24-105 is now the equivalent of starting at 35mm. I do have a Tokina 20-35mm, so that will help out.

Jim

Keep in mind that the 7D currently has a $200 rebate offer available so after that it is only $769 or $87 more than the 5D.

The big thing I really like better about the 7D than the 5D is that it has more of the settings using dials etc. rather than menus. For me this means if I want to make a change to Aperture or shutter speed, exposure or flash control, I can do it with the camera up to my eye rather than having to stop and go through the electronic menus. If you are going to shoot completely in program mode, that may not matter to you (but then why bother with a DSLR, right? ;) ).

As for the software, I've used it a bit but I tend to use Raw Shooter and Paint Shop Pro X because I'm used to them. What I did with the KM software it seemed good, I just kept using what I am used to kwim? Now I've asked for Photoshop for Christmas....now we just wait to see if DH was listening! :rotfl:

glass slipper girl said:
Keep in mind that the 7D currently has a $200 rebate offer available so after that it is only $769 or $87 more than the 5D.

The figures I quoted *do* reflect the rebate: "AR". That being the case, there is almost a $300 difference between the 5 and the 7, plus, for me at least, the kit lens with the 5D is much more to my liking.

~YEKCIM

YEKCIM said:

Two 7000i bodies
50mm Maxxum lens
24mm Maxxum lens
28-85mm Maxxum zoom lens
70-210 Maxxum zoom lens
100-300 Maxxum zoom lens

I personally would go with the 7....

ther reason I asked what you now have was to get an idea of what you are used to using,

Minolta traditionally has had a 7 a 5 sometimes a 3 and a 9 in most of their camera series...

the 7 would be more comparable to your 7000i's,

I have 2 9000 MAxxums so I'm impatiently waiting for KM to come out with a 9D...

until then I'll keep using my A2, which does a fantastic job, I just like the feel of an SLR better..

I agree with glass slipper girl I would prefer the dials rather than the menu for changing setings on the fly..

YEKCIM said:

Two 7000i bodies
50mm Maxxum lens
24mm Maxxum lens
28-85mm Maxxum zoom lens
70-210 Maxxum zoom lens
100-300 Maxxum zoom lens

I personally would go with the 7....

ther reason I asked what you now have was to get an idea of what you are used to using,

Minolta traditionally has had a 7 a 5 sometimes a 3 and a 9 in most of their camera series...

the 7 would be more comparable to your 7000i's,

I have 2 9000 MAxxums so I'm impatiently waiting for KM to come out with a 9D...

until then I'll keep using my A2, which does a fantastic job, I just like the feel of an SLR better..

I agree with glass slipper girl I would prefer the dials rather than the menu for changing setings on the fly..

I have used DImage viewer, but prefer RAWSHOOTER and PAINT SHOP PRO X, much more advanced, allowing more creativity

glass slipper girl said:
As for the software, I've used it a bit but I tend to use Raw Shooter and Paint Shop Pro X because I'm used to them. What I did with the KM software it seemed good, I just kept using what I am used to kwim? Now I've asked for Photoshop for Christmas....now we just wait to see if DH was listening! :rotfl:

I'm curious as to why you want PHOTOSHOP,,,

everything I've read about Paint SHop Pro X , indicates that it basically will do everything that photoshop does, at a much lower price with a much easier learning curve,
I've also read that for the most part the only difference, is the graphics end of photoshop which is aimed at people in the graphics/printing industry,

as far as the photo /imaging end both programs offer the same level of quality and creativity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter