Kraken Unleashed

I have talked to several people who have been on it - they say it was good but several people had issues with their VR goggles, either coming loose or the picture seemed off. But overall everyone enjoyed it.

Beware though, if you like to do rides over and over, the wait time is huge (hint, go later at night when the crowd is on the other side of the park) and you need a pass that you got hours before actually riding. It may not matter though, people do not seem to be able to ride it many times in a row, something about the VR seems to make people queasier than they might normally get on rides.

I've been on twice now. It's really cool with the VR. However- the load time is horrible! Each headset has to be cleaned after each ride (I don't complain about that, but it does back the ride up). There are a lot of technical issues with the headsets (when I went on Sat, I had to re-ride because the VR didn't set properly). Just be prepared for long waits

I've done VR coasters at a few parks and to me, they don't add anything. The load times are unbelievable because everyone needs to be checked for more than just safety. The concept is interesting, but for me, it actually takes away from the coaster. I like seeing the track and knowing what's coming up. The last time I tried a VR coaster, the view in the goggles was stuck so that in order to see forward, I actually had to keep my head turned all the way to the right. Imagine riding in a car and looking out the passenger window, but instead of everything passing by the view is actually the front windshield - visually you're going forward, but physically you're moving sideways.... It made me ill and I don't get sick riding coasters.

Why do a motion simulator on something with actual motion?

My son (12) and I both rode it. It immediately went to the top of our list of favorite rides. The only negative I can give is the loading time. The headset is a bit tricky at first, but no issues once on and I figured out the focus. Also, I am usually a 1 time only, if that, on Kraken, as it makes me feel a little sick. For some reason, the VR actually helped with that and I felt like I could have gotten right back on. I also can ride and don't feel great on things like Star Tours. This was easier than that for me.

To me there is a lot of potential in this for older coasters or new ones as well. Looking forward to seeing one of these with a non animated story too.

Having APs to Sea World for many years I've ridden Kraken many times and for awhile it was one of my favorite coasters,Mako is now my top coaster,at least in Florida.My point is that while it was great before the VR treatment as it was a coaster you could ride often with low wait times,I feel the addition of the VR gives the coaster a new life as a different type of ride.I rode it as Kraken Unleashed and it was a new experience as I've never done a VR coaster,I really enjoyed it and the spotsaver app to get on it is pretty simple to use,obviously no more getting on whenever you want but that's fine as Mako being my favorite is usually very easy to get on.The headsets seem pretty straightforward,take it out of the holder and put it on,obviously I didn't put it on correctly as I put it on but after having it on an attendant came by and adjusted it with a tighter fit,they obviously have a lot more attendants working the coaster and even though it takes time to load/unload the attendants were pretty efficient and as quick as they could be.It is amazing how it feels like a simulator and you truly forget you're on a coaster with huge drops and inversions.

Are guests allowed to ride without the headsets? I haven't been in a few years, but I liked Kraken just fine as it was.

yes - you still have to make a reservation (unless you go later at night) and it is the train and same seat as the VR system but you can definitely ride without the VR set

"Reservation"? Does Sea World have something like FastPass/ExpressPass?
I'm obviously not up to date. (Last Sea World visit was '07.)

Edit - OK, I see, it's a virtual queue. We're figuring on hitting it about an hour before closing in September, so maybe the waits aren't a big issue for us.

I read some reviews that suggest the VR doesn't add much. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeah Kraken Unleashed was fun to ride but I am however not fond of the extreme wait time usually over 300 minutes. Who would wanna wait that long for a single ride? I think Kraken Unleashed has Quick Queue and also the reserve your ride thingy but still unless you wanna waste a day of fun potential, I wouldn't recommend simply walking into the queue if the wait is over 60 minutes.

Unless it is late in the day they will not allow you to just stand in line - you have to reserve your ride time. They have workers at the front entrance that will direct you to the reservation kiosk if you do not already have a ticket (you can also reserve a time using your phone as soon as you walk into the park, it is location based so you can't do it from your hotel or anywhere else not in the park)

Maybe in the future, when Infinity Falls opens, maybe Kraken Unleashed wait times will decrease so there will be no need for the reserve your ride time.

Will somebody please explain the virtual queue? And is it only for Kraken or does it apply to Manta and Mako also?

It is only for Kraken.

You can either go to a Kiosk in the park or, once you are in the park, you can use an app on your phone, and get a return time for the ride. How long this is from when you get your reservation completely depends on how busy the park and Kraken is. You then return at that time, present the pass or your phone to the staff, and they will let you into the line. It would be similar to a Fast Pass, except it is only for this one ride.

Note that this does not mean you will walk immediately onto the ride. There is still a small wait time, should be no more then 10 to 15 minutes although if there are technical issues or if weather has delayed things it might be longer.

It is only for Kraken.

You can either go to a Kiosk in the park or, once you are in the park, you can use an app on your phone, and get a return time for the ride. How long this is from when you get your reservation completely depends on how busy the park and Kraken is. You then return at that time, present the pass or your phone to the staff, and they will let you into the line. It would be similar to a Fast Pass, except it is only for this one ride.

Note that this does not mean you will walk immediately onto the ride. There is still a small wait time, should be no more then 10 to 15 minutes although if there are technical issues or if weather has delayed things it might be longer.

Thank you!

Am I correct that my niece could wait in line with me but keep walking through to the exit area of the coaster and wait for me there? I doubt she will ride any coasters.

Rumor has it that VR has been removed from the ride completely, not just not using it but the goggles physically removed. I hope to make it out to the park later this week to confirm but has anyone else seen this first hand?

confirmed - I had to go out there just to check. There are signs saying that VR is not available and both cars I saw running had the VR system completely removed. Not just "not in use" but the entire pouch was gone that held the goggles. So it does not look like this is something that can come back overnight. I am not sure how long it would take to install the hardware again but then I assume there would have to be a testing phase for the software to get it working again.

30 percent IMAG0251.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!