• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

KSC restaurants

Musky

Mouseketeer
Can anyone who's been to Kennedy Space Center give me an idea of the cost of food there? I understand there are several restaurants, snack bars, etc., there, and I figure we'll probably be eating lunch there. I'm trying to develop an overall budget and having an idea how much lunch would cost that day would help a lot. TIA.

Musky (Deputy Dog's best friend)

Musky, in the Orbit Cafeteria, most entrees run about $6-$7 from memory. It is all fairly standard fare, burgers, hot dogs, salads, sandwiches etc. Mila's is the only full-service restaurant but I can't recall much of what they do there. The Lunch Pad is the other counter-service offering where the menu is a bit broader and entrees run in the $9-$10 range. It is all pretty good value for money.

Here's the run down from "The Other Orlando":

Eating at Kennedy Space Center

While you won’t have to subsist on the powdered drinks and squeeze-tube dinners that were once standard fare for astronauts, neither can you expect a gourmet dining experience at KSC Visitor Complex. The eateries here are geared to processing hundreds of generally young diners in a quick and efficient manner, and the food quality seldom rises above fast-food or cafeteria level, although the desserts in The Orbit are delicious. One of the management’s best inspirations has been to dispatch dozens of freestanding food carts to various points in the Visitor Complex. They offer everything from ice cream snacks to fruit to more substantial fare like hot dogs. Given the difficulty of squeezing everything into a one-day visit to the Center, it makes a lot of sense to eat on the run from these carts and save the big sit-down meal for later in the evening.

The only full-service restaurant at the Visitor Complex is Mila’s Roadhouse, overlooking the Space Mirror. The decor is vaguely fifties or sixties in feel (there are a few outdoor tables) and the menu runs to home-cooked meat-and-veg meals, burgers, and beef and chicken sandwiches. Hot dogs and spaghetti are offered to the small fry. Most entrees cost less than $10, desserts are under $4. Wine is served by the glass ($4) and bottle ($14 to $22).

Next door is The Orbit, a large, noisy fast-food emporium with a modern metallic high-tech decor. Service is cafeteria style, with a large central carousel dispensing beverages, salads, sandwiches, and desserts. On one side of the carousel, you can get pizzas and pasta dishes for about $6 to $8. On the other side, a steam table offers roast beef, turkey, chicken, and fried fish dinners with a choice of vegetables. Prices range from $6 to about $10. Beer and wine is served here ($4).

Another cafeteria, The Lunch Pad, is located near the bus depot. This is the place to come for breakfast first thing in the morning or for burgers and fries or a variety of sandwiches later in the day. There is also a decent grilled chicken Caesar salad available here, one of the healthier food choices to be found at the Visitor Complex. A standard meal of sandwich, fries, and soft drink should cost well under $10.

Food is also to be had on the Kennedy Space Center Tour. The LC-39 Observation Gantry and the International Space Station Center both have hot dog stands where a quick meal will cost about $5. The Apollo/Saturn V Center features the Moon Rock Cafe, a cafeteria where you will find hot dogs, Polish sausage, and cheeseburgers served with fries for $4 to about $6. Individual pizzas are about $5 and desserts are in the $2 to $3 range. If you are trying to pack as much as possible into a one-day visit, grabbing a hot dog on this tour and eating it while waiting for the bus is a good strategy.

Beyond these sit-down eateries, the Visitor Complex offers a number of walk-up windows dispensing a variety of fast foods and desserts. Planetary Pizza, near the Lunch Pad, offers pizzas and calzone for about $5. The New Frontier Cafe, opposite the Astronaut Encounter, serves up beef, pork and chicken sandwiches for about $7. The Milky Way Parlor, near the Universe Theater, sells Comet Cones ($2 to $3) and Solar Sundaes ($3). There are a number of even smaller freestanding kiosks selling drinks and snacks; these open and close as the crowds ebb and flow.

We went to KSC march 2001 and my kids were bored stiff...the worst part is that you are on a bus tour and have to go the whole way to get back. We ate at a cafe type rest. (don't remember the name) and it was so packed we had to sit outside to eat. Well, we had to fight the gulls for our food, and they are SUPER aggressive. I am not afraid of birds, but these were scaring me and my kids (ages 16, 13, 11 and 7 ) There was and older man who was too slow for the birds and he literally losy his entire lunch to them! Well, we got hamburgers, hot dogs and fries for the 6 of us and we shared 4 colas and got 1 cup of fresh (ha!) sttawberries for the kids to share and we paid nearly $60.00!!! I don't recommend going to KSC to anyone with kids. My kids are used to going to "educational" places and usually enjoy them, but they are still talking about how awful this was! We did drive out to the hiway near there the next day and see a shuttle launch, and we all thought that was neat, but we will never do the tours again. Sorry so long, just wanted to get my point across!!! Hope if you go you all enjoy it more than we did!!!:p

Thank you all so much for the great info. This is just what I needed to know. These boards are the best!!!

Musky:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter