Lack of results from weight loss surgery?

I am just over seven months out from gastric sleeve. I also had tried everything I could (including Whole 30) and religiously logging food and exercise for three whole years. The calories in/out said I should have lost 80 pounds the first year - I lost 8. I tried Keto, vegan, Adkins - nothing worked.

I am a rule follower, so I followed the directions, and lost only about 5 pounds pre-op. I'm now down about 60, but have been a slow loser. I am within 12 pounds of a "healthy" BMI, but would like to lose about 25 more by my one year. I do drink the 80+ ounces of water; take my vitamins religiously; sleep 7 or more hours/night; don't eat after 8pm, do Pilates 5X per week at least, and walk every day for at least 30 minutes. I log every bite, and get at least 100g of protein/day. Calories average around 1100, but my fat grams are supposed to be around 30g, and they are usually about 40g. Everything else is by the book.

I hope I can lose 20 more pounds and maintain. I'm 55, and feel the best I have in years. I never eat more than my little plate or bowl; and try to stay away from processed and fast food. I have noticed that carbs don't make me feel full, so I avoid those except for fruits and vegies and an occasional sandwhich (I can only eat about half of a Subway 6" sub). Sugar is the devil, so other than one square of dark chocolate a day - and a bite or two of dessert on vacation - I steer clear.

I have heard stories of regain and lack of feeling full with some folks. I was told that it has a lot to do with eating protein - I don't feel full when I eat carbs, so making protein the first thing I eat, with everything else pretty much a garnish, has been the key for me.

Best wishes in figuring it all out! I had tried SO many things pre-surgery, that I need this to work. I'm only losing about 1#/week since summer, but that's ok. Do you make sure to space out your eating and drinking? That's been a big deal too.

I also know myself well enough to know I'm not a gym person or athlete. I do walk, and walk hills, and enjoy nature. I hope you can find something active that you enjoy, and not think of it as "exercise" but time to clear your mind and enjoy yourself. It's easier to establish it as a daily habit that way.

Congrats on loosing 50lbs! That is no easy feat.

The problem is insulin resistance. Insulin is a very powerful hunger hormone. If you get stressed, the hormone cortisol blocks something that is supposed to stop insulin and then you end up looking like someone with Addison's disease (hint me). All the chemicals in the food don't help. I have CFS and I suspect stage 3 Adrenal Fatigue (I get sleepy when I drink coffee, I need to drink 2 cups in order to feel exhuasted to get a good nights rest; its so confusing).

There is a drug called phentermine that would suppress all the insulin being released by an enlarged stomach, but an EKG is necessary and it can't be taken long term. Fasting insulin (not glucose) has to be less than 5 for any weight loss to occur. Inositol is really good to help the body process sugars. You can research inositol and insulin resistance.

There is also Metformin (depletes B12 so methyl B12 supplement required) which would help the liver and things that clean the liver (coffee - drinkers have less fatty liver (don't use sugar, use monk fruit sweetner instead); omega 7-reduces triglycerides, choline-reduces triglycerides along with Omega 3; apple cider vinegar (mix with olive oil or sprinkle on a salad); l-methionine). I routinely do a liver cleanse under my Doctor's supervision called Core Restore by Ortho Molecular. Dr runs bloodwork before and after; now I'm allowed to do it on my own but I monitor my BP (it can cause low bp. You can do it without fasting as well. You can divide up the shakes and have one scoop in unsweetened ripple pea milk 4 times a day to get through 'fasting' (so no sugar drops). Those fasting days do end up being around 500 calories (dangerous if you go any lower, so add those extra cups of vegan milk) so someone needs to be on hand to help. At the end of it even cinnamon tastes super sweet.

https://www.matrixagemanagement.com/blog/the-raw-truth-a-review-of-the-core-restore-detox-program

https://paleoleap.com/paleo-liver-health/

You could do Keto but I believe that has its own side effects so 2 months off and on and that helps normalize insulin levels and causes weight loss. Eating things like eggs, full fat dairy don't cause spikes in insulin hence drop in hunger. Dr. Berg (chiropractor) has great videos online about insulin resistance foods and what to avoid. You don't want to be eating all meat and fat (mistake many people who do Keto and end up with heart attacks make). You need lots of veggies.

Snacks are a big problem for me. Try a detox salad from Whole foods with Raw Tahini or no sugar added almond butter (brown rice unsalted cakes with a few berries). You can soak chia seed overnight in ripple unsweetened milk with a spoon of cinnamon and eat that with unsweetened raisins (tastes like oatmeal). I love Holy Basil tea and drink it routinely (helps stop racing heart).

Get your thyroid checked. TSH should be less than 2 and free T3 (this is what your cells use not regular T3). Stop the thyroid madness is a good resource for more info on thyroid issues.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/metabolism-dysfunction-th_b_6430370

Do not take any supplement without Dr.'s approval. Excess vit D can cause AFIB for example.

My naturopathic Dr recommended Ozempic, I chickened out after reading about side effects (pancreatitis) and that it was derived from lizard saliva. It’s been in the news that celebrities have been buying using it off label for weight loss.

Weight loss is not the end all. Keep trying to live as healthy as you can. I wish you the best of health.
I agree that insulin resistance is a real jerk. I would recommend meeting with your doctor and getting your A1C checked.

Also, I bought the Bowflex Max M9 trainer. You can watch TV and build muscle at the same time.

My electrolytes were messed up for years and I had muscle cramps (in addition to restless leg syndrome) all night. Liquid IV (does have sugar but it works for me while doing HIIT). Pedialyte didn’t work and I would have muscle cramps at PT. Adrenevive (has some Ashwagandha) helps stress also, again check with your Dr if it’s ok.

Activene pain ointment helps with muscle pain. I also have Bob & Brad massage gun for muscles (helps recovery).

EFD16632-E1E6-4590-98AD-43D9105082FE.jpeg

This is really very sad to hear to be honest. My neighbor had weight loss surgery and it helped him a lot. As it turned out, it was a good decision since he was diagnosed with diabetes. Now he eats right and does sports. He plans to buy buy trulicity online. I think this is a good idea as I have heard many good reviews about it
I am pre-diabetic and had been using Metformin in with not much luck. My PCP who is fantastic, suggested Trulicty to both help with with my A1C and with weight loss. She said some of her staff lost 50 pounds on Trulicty. She said it helps change the way you feel about food. The first two weeks I had mild side effects for one day, but I’ve lost almost 10 pounds in 2 pounds, I am not eating much at all and I’ve definitely noticed a change in my appearance.

ETA: When I refer to "fasting," what I mean is the period between stopping eating for the day and resuming eating the next day. If you aren't having a period of no food consumption--for example, between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.--that's something you should look into doing.

Actually, was just circling back to this to update and I was on Mounjaro (tirzepatide) for a couple of months until it was taken away by my insurance. Grrr. It was working amazingly well; controlled hunger, felt fuller longer, no more food cravings. But now that I don't have that anymore, I'm starting IF with my wife from like 8 PM through 10 AM. She goes til noon but I'm not sure I want or need to go quite that long.

Last edited:
Actually, was just circling back to this to update and I was on Mounjaro (tirzepatide) for a couple of months until it was taken away by my insurance. Grrr. It was working amazingly well; controlled hunger, felt fuller longer, no more food cravings. But now that I don't have that anymore, I'm starting IF with my wife from like 8 PM through 10 AM. She goes til noon but I'm not sure I want or need to go quite that long.
Try having small meals, I usually do greek yogurth + granola + fruit for breakfast, 2-3 hours later I have a protein bar, 2-3 hours later I have lunch, 2-3 hours later I eat a snack (grapes, or something similar), 2-3 hours later I have dinner, then 2-3 hours later I have a protein shake.

This has worked for me plenty good, and I even exercise (meaning I should get hungrier), it obviously takes time and effort, but soon you'll be able to have moderate portions

I disagree, I prefer to have larger portions to keep me full, so my stomach gets rest between meals. 3 bigger meals instead of 6 small ones.

You get used to it after a while, your cravings will go down (especially if when I keep an eye on my added sugars and diet soda intake 😉).

A bonus about this for me: when I plan 3 bigger, more delicious meals, I think less about food between meals.

Over a year ago I did some sessions with a dietician/psychologist about why i overeat etc. And one of the best tips I got from her was to eat what you really like. When your food is more delicious and you enjoy it more than eating what is just okay, it is easier to stick to eating healthy.. For example, I used to eat cherry tomatoes, as it is a healthy snack. I do not particularly like tomatoes... I have replaced it with vegetables I do enjoy with my meal.

I am currently on Mounjaro (11 weeks in) and was searching "Mounjaro" when I came across this old thread.
I'm hoping you are doing well and have found what works for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter