Ladies of the Dis--please help me choose a dress for a wedding

Which dress?

• Dress #1

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Dress #2

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Dress #3

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Some other option that I will post in the comments.

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
The wedding is next month. It is outdoors, at a winery, so it will be hot and humid and semi-formal. I was thinking that a maxi dress would be appropriate, dressed up with a nice shrug, shoes, jewelry, and bag.

1. My problem areas are: upper arms, knees, and calves; whatever I buy has to cover these areas! So no slits in the skirt. I'd also prefer something that isn't tight on my stomach, so maybe an empire waistline?
2. My problem with sizing is that my chest is disproportionately large for my body and it is hard to buy something that fits both my top and bottom, so I would prefer something with stretchy fabric so I won't have to buy a dress that's 2 sizes too big.
3. I don't want to spend more than $50, and I'd love to spend a lot less than that since I already know I need to buy a new pair of shoes.

Dress #1:

Dress #2:

Dress #3:
(dress#3 would be a solid navy blue, not this print)

I like the style of dress #3, but I feel that the top may be too tight in a size that fits you overall. I think dress #2 would be lovely on you by the way you describe your body type.

I like the style of dress #3, but I feel that the top may be too tight in a size that fits you overall. I think dress #2 would be lovely on you by the way you describe your body type.
Thanks. I agree, the waistline is going to be a few inches higher on me than on the model, it will probably look awkward.

I picked #1 for you. The V neck on #2 may show too much cleavage if you are larger chested. #3 may be too tight in the chest or pull across the chest. Those are my reasons for chosing #1.

Thanks. I agree, the waistline is going to be a few inches higher on me than on the model, it will probably look awkward.
I have a really short torso, so I have trouble with those waistlines too. Depending on how they're made, sometimes you can move them up or down until it works. Other times you just have to walk away and hope nobody saw it...

I don’t know your age, but for my teens, we order inexpensive dresses from *********, free shipping back and forth. If #3 is stretchy, I’d pick that, I find that halter neck is flattering for both xs and xl busts.

I don’t know why it’s being blocked, but it’s lulus dot com.
I'm 37, hopefully these dresses don't look too young for me! I looked through all the review photos that people posted and there is a variety of pics from women of all ages and body types.

I'll check out that site, thanks!

ModCloth has a ton of beautiful more modest dresses.
I usually love the stuff on modcloth, but the clothes tend to cost a little more than I want to spend on this dress. I'll check it out though, it's been a while since I shopped on there. THanks!

Dress 1 and 2 are entirely too causual in my opinion.
Dress 3 seems nice but NOT in navy.
I'd much rather it be that pattern and then put a short sleeve or elbow length shrug.
Personally I don't even think a maxi is approprate.
I'd go with a fit n flare tea length dress.
Price is also not all that easy. If you find a sale or have a coupon I could see $50.
I'd probably look at JCP.

Just saw the 4th you added... its meh. plain but definitely a better option than 1 and 2.

Dress 1 and 2 are entirely too causual in my opinion.
Dress 3 seems nice but NOT in navy.
I'd much rather it be that pattern and then put a short sleeve or elbow length shrug.
Personally I don't even think a maxi is approprate.
I'd go with a fit n flare tea length dress.
Price is also not all that easy. If you find a sale or have a coupon I could see $50.
I'd probably look at JCP.

Just saw the 4th you added... its meh. plain but definitely a better option than 1 and 2.
Midi is a good length on most people, but I don't like my calves, plus if I wear maxi length then I don't need to worry about acting like a lady all night--there's no chance that anyone is going to see too much if I forget to cross my legs or crouch down to play with kids. I feel like I can get away with maxi length at a summer wedding as long as it doesn't look like a ball gown; I'm not trying to look like part of the wedding party.

This one is quite similar to #2. But no sleeves. So the upper arms would be more visible in it.
I think both dresses are from the same manufacturer. I'll be wearing a shrug or a shawl, I already have a bunch in my closet because I hate showing off my arms, I wouldn't even wear #2 without a sweater because those little sleeves would expose too much. I have had persistent patches of eczema on my arms, especially my upper arms, and on my back and my stomach for my whole life, that's why I don't expose those parts of my body much.

I like #3 -- no worries about too much cleavage, ease of movement without worries about being immodest, and halter necklines can be very flattering. I like the idea of a shrug or bolero, but think a pashmina would be an elegant way to cover the upper arms -- pick a nice color to compliment your coloring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter