Ladies What Are You Wearing to Your Child's College Graduation?

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
I haven't bought a dress & shoes yet, but I obviously need to get on that. Due to health problems, I do all of my shopping online. I'd love to see pictures of what you all are wearing to give me ideas of what to look for. Naturally, websites to check would be great. I have a dress in mind, but I'd like to have more options to order & try. When ordering online, it's never good to only have one option.

Believe it or not, probably jeans or leggings. My son's college graduation (he has two ceremonies) takes places in the their outdoor stadium. I will be sitting in bleachers from 2:30PM until 8:00PM. A dress and shoes are out.

For my daughter's graduation, I wore a pair of black dress slacks and a black/white gingham checked blouse. We were indoors for that one but it was still a cramped kind of "stadium" affair. I just went casual/comfortable and definitely fit right in.

For ds's under grad, I wore a black and gold (his school colors) knee length dress. It had a black skirt and then black and gold patterned short sleeve bodice area and comfortable heels.

For his grad degree, I wore black pants and a black and white top. It was raining that day and we had a little walk from parking to the basketball arena where they graduate so I wanted to wear flats and be somewhat comfortable. People are packed in like sardines and wore a variety of things .

I felt appropriate in both outfits-very much in line with the dress of the crowd which ranged from women in capris to dresses similar to the one I wore.

Dh dressed business casual. Slacks and short sleeved shirt.

I just wore jeans and a nice shirt. We'd spent the morning schlepping around Boston (in a fun way!), and the actual ceremony was sitting on bleachers--and, of course, all about the graduates. Honestly, I would worry more about your comfort. Obviously, you want to look nice and put-together--there will be photos, and meet-and-greets. Especially if you have health issues, I recommend dressing in something you can sit/stand in for hours.

We're not big on photos so we wear whatever we want (clean, no holes, etc) to graduations. High school graduations were outside, at night, in the concrete football stadium. Jeans and layers, even in June.

College graduations - one was outside, in the pouring rain (MIT - they may have "smarts" but no common sense!) so we wore raincoats, boots,etc. Actually, I went inside and sat in one of the lecture halls and watched it on screen. Hubby stayed outside with his parents to watch. Other graduation was outside, at an event site, with sunshades, etc. I think I wore capri pants? White denim ones? Anyways, we go casual, as we are not the ones on stage :)

Dress for the weather....if its chilly wear slacks, if it looks like it will be nice then wear a dress but bring a sweater. Will you be inside or outside, will you be sitting in bleachers or in chairs on the floor (makes a difference in shoes I would wear).

Macy's.com
Northstyle.com
Dillard's.com

MJ

My daughter is a college freshman but for her high school graduation I wore a black and white dress from Loft and a pair of kitten heals. Her graduation was outside on the turf field in June. It was a warm night.

Her college graduation will be in May on the National Mall in DC. It will be warm and we will likely walk there from our hotel. I'll likely wear something similar.

Where is the graduation - inside or out, day or night? Those things would dictate what I wear.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans to a graduation but I also would wear something fancy.

D'S refused to walk for his bachelor's or masters, he is saying he may walk for his doctorate, ugh. DD I wore a nice dress and pumps for her bachelor's, after the 6 hours graduation took she refused to walk for her masters, I would be lying if I said I was sad she didnt walk. She and I did a Girls trip to Disney World to celebrate!

Both of my kid's college graduations were in outdoor stadiums. For both I wore a denim skirt and a shirt with their school colors - one was purple, one was scarlet.

DS is just a sophomore now, I wore a long skirt, and layered on top for his HS graduation. It was outdoors but covered in a giant tent -- think small concert venue. wanted to be able to take off a layer or two if it got hot, which it did. I think his undergrad graduation will be in an outdoor stadium, so I will probably dress in capris or a long skirt, and do the same with upper layers. I do remember my mom wore a dressy suit when I got my MA, but that was in an indoor theater so weather was not an issue...

Maria :upsidedow

DD is graduating college in June. I haven't decided what to wear yet, but it will be something I already have. No need to buy something new for the occasion.

same here. given that the last few college graduations we've gone to (at multiple schools) haven't even had the grads walk across and get their diplomas (they just announced each individual department/school within the university, one at a time and those graduating from it would stand for a moment en masse) it doesn't seem as formal.

DD and her boyfriend graduate in May. I never wear dresses so not that. We’re in Texas so I’ll wear crop pants and a nice shirt. Likely something I already own. Actually now that I think, dd’s school color is Kelly green and I have a light weight 3 quarter sleeve kelly sweater from Anthropology. I'll wear it to hers with maybe white crops. For the other on the same weekend, i’ll Just look through my closet.

Last edited:
Dd’s ceremony is several thousand students in an arena. I believe it is a half mile walk to the shuttle buses that take you to the uncovered arena. I might rethink wearing a dress.

My son has two Bachelor’s and a Master’s. I wore black slacks and a nice top to all three ceremonies. Most of the women were dressed about the same.

same thing I wore to her high school graduations- jeans and a shirt. It will be in a big stadium in Boston- don't see any need to dress up for that.

I wore a sleeveless dress from Macy's and sandals to our son's high school graduation last year. It was outdoors and we sat on bleachers. Everyone else dressed similarly, and nobody wore jeans or leggings, not even siblings.

I wore a sleeveless dress from Macy's and sandals to our son's high school graduation last year. It was outdoors and we sat on bleachers. Everyone else dressed similarly, and nobody wore jeans or leggings, not even siblings.

I assume this was in response to my "jeans or leggings" attire?

In my area, high school graduations are more of a "to do" when it comes to dress code than my kids' college grads have been. When I went to either of my kids' high school graduations, I wore a dress that I usually wear to work. One was sitting out on the football field in 95 degree heat. The other was in an arena.

I have found, at least where we live, that the college graduations are MUCH bigger, a little more impersonal, and the attire from all parents seems to be much more casual. Probably due to the large amount of walking and shuttling one often has to do (depending on the school).

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I was some bumpkin. I actually wear dresses (and pantyhose!!:crazy2:) pretty regularly. It just seems overdone for our area and what you go through. I will be in a stadium and on bleachers for 5 1/2 hours, rain or shine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter