Ladies What Are You Wearing to Your Child's College Graduation?

I assume this was in response to my "jeans or leggings" attire?

In my area, high school graduations are more of a "to do" when it comes to dress code than my kids' college grads have been. When I went to either of my kids' high school graduations, I wore a dress that I usually wear to work. One was sitting out on the football field in 95 degree heat. The other was in an arena.

I have found, at least where we live, that the college graduations are MUCH bigger, a little more impersonal, and the attire from all parents seems to be much more casual. Probably due to the large amount of walking and shuttling one often has to do (depending on the school).

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I was some bumpkin. I actually wear dresses (and pantyhose!!:crazy2:) pretty regularly. It just seems overdone for our area and what you go through. I will be in a stadium and on bleachers for 5 1/2 hours, rain or shine.

It was, it not at all meant in a bad way. Different things are done in different areas. I was just sharing with the OP that there are places where that would not be the norm, since she's looking for ideas. :goodvibes

same here. given that the last few college graduations we've gone to (at multiple schools) haven't even had the grads walk across and get their diplomas (they just announced each individual department/school within the university, one at a time and those graduating from it would stand for a moment en masse) it doesn't seem as formal.

At DD22's university, they had individual "school" graduations, then the big university graduation the next day. She only invited us to the school one, where she walked. She wasn't even sure she was going to attend the big one. She ended up going, mostly because there was a speaker she wanted to hear. We were already on our way home by the time that one started.

I'll probably wear a skirt(printed/dressy/stretchy/comfy)...I love that skirt. Add a pair of sandals and a dressy t-shirt and I'll be all set. I hope it not hours long like so many of you are describing! I know there's a separate graduation for her college within the university and then one for the whole university. I suppose it might depend on who the speaker is for that if she wants to go to it.

I can't wait! We're so proud of her. That said, we aren't doing a big party for her. She doesn't really want one. We'll probably just go out to eat that weekend and maybe have a small gathering with a few family members later in the summer. Is that fairly common for college graduations? I'm trying to just follow what she wants for that, but I don't want her to feel like we're ignoring it either!

At DD22's university, they had individual "school" graduations, then the big university graduation the next day. She only invited us to the school one, where she walked. She wasn't even sure she was going to attend the big one. She ended up going, mostly because there was a speaker she wanted to hear. We were already on our way home by the time that one started.

This is what my son's school does and I'm not happy about it. His happen to be on the same day. Since he's in the business school, which is the largest, we got "stuck" in the stadium. The big university ceremony is at 3PM. That goes for about two hours. His individual one starts at 6PM. Due to construction around the stadium and limited parking we've been almost "ordered" not to leave and come back. It probably would be impossible anyway. Honestly, we are all a little irritated over this. Oh, and they won't cancel for rain. It has to be "extreme" weather for them to cancel. So I actually could be sitting out in the rain for hours.

D'S refused to walk for his bachelor's or masters, he is saying he may walk for his doctorate, ugh. DD I wore a nice dress and pumps for her bachelor's, after the 6 hours graduation took she refused to walk for her masters, I would be lying if I said I was sad she didnt walk. She and I did a Girls trip to Disney World to celebrate!

Find out what they do for the doctoral ceremony. When DH got his PhD, his family came out for graduation at Syracuse, but the "real" ceremony for PhDs was the hooding ceremony the evening before. It was much smaller, more intimate and moving. If we'd known, we would have just done this and skipped the 5 hours in the Dome the next day. Still moves me to tears when I remember the hooding ceremony.

When DD graduated from college, I wore nice pants and a shirt, work/business casual. DH was on faculty so we actually had a "box" to ourselves (graduation is in the hockey arena, two ceremonies so everyone fits in). It was nice- me, my sis, brother, 2 nieces, DD's boyfriend, his parents, DD's best friend (DH sat with the faculty), and we were able to bring in snacks and drinks. When DD's BF graduated the next year, we all sat in the bleachers, but were right up where the graduates exited the podium, so we could see him as he left the stage, got great pictures, etc. When DD graduated, our box was at the complete opposite end of the arena from the graduates, so while we had comfortable seats, we couldn't really see much at all!

Last edited:

Older D had the smaller school part in an arena on a Friday, I probably wore a nice pair of pants & blouse/sweater. There were a few other events, department receptions, phi beta kappa ceremony, I don't remember what I wore. The entire university ceremony with the big name speakers was outside on Sunday (chairs, not bleachers). I wore a sundress, hat and sandals. DS did not attend his graduation, so neither did we. Younger D went to a small college with one main ceremony outside, and I wore the same sundress but different hat from the first one. (Again, chairs, not bleachers). There were many other events, several of which I wore a casual dress or skirt for - a dinner for all the academic, athletic, service, etc awards, ceremony for phi beta kappa, a reception for her specific department (she was getting the departmental award, so we had to go), president's reception for parents, it was a busy weekend.

I can't wait! We're so proud of her. That said, we aren't doing a big party for her. She doesn't really want one. We'll probably just go out to eat that weekend and maybe have a small gathering with a few family members later in the summer. Is that fairly common for college graduations? I'm trying to just follow what she wants for that, but I don't want her to feel like we're ignoring it either!

I don't know anyone who had college graduation parties.

For ds, we only went to eat at a restaurant he chose in his college town-same restaurant both times. Grandparents joined us for his undergrad degree and just immediate family for his grad degree.

This is what my son's school does and I'm not happy about it. His happen to be on the same day. Since he's in the business school, which is the largest, we got "stuck" in the stadium. The big university ceremony is at 3PM. That goes for about two hours. His individual one starts at 6PM. Due to construction around the stadium and limited parking we've been almost "ordered" not to leave and come back. It probably would be impossible anyway. Honestly, we are all a little irritated over this. Oh, and they won't cancel for rain. It has to be "extreme" weather for them to cancel. So I actually could be sitting out in the rain for hours.
Dd’s is the same, her business school graduation is Friday, whole school Sunday, I think she is just going Sunday.

For DD's graduation I'm pretty sure we just had a BBQ back here at the house with those who were at graduation plus her best friend's parents (who are our best friends, who are also on faculty and with whom DH sat at graduation). It was pretty low-key for college graduation.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Obviously, it's been a long time, since I graduated. At the time, it appeared all women wore dresses. It sounds like things have changed a lot, since then. Dresses are my go-to, when I want to look nice, so I'll probably stick with that. I'll probably get 2" or so wedge heels to wear with it. The only flats I wear are tennis shoes & flip flops. You get used to wearing heels, when you're only 5' 1". :laughing:

For ds's under grad, I wore a black and gold (his school colors) knee length dress. It had a black skirt and then black and gold patterned short sleeve bodice area and comfortable heels.

For his grad degree, I wore black pants and a black and white top. It was raining that day and we had a little walk from parking to the basketball arena where they graduate so I wanted to wear flats and be somewhat comfortable. People are packed in like sardines and wore a variety of things .

I felt appropriate in both outfits-very much in line with the dress of the crowd which ranged from women in capris to dresses similar to the one I wore.

Dh dressed business casual. Slacks and short sleeved shirt.

I've been looking at dresses that have the school colors also. I'll probably only choose one of the colors though. I haven't seen anything with both colors that I like.

I just wore jeans and a nice shirt. We'd spent the morning schlepping around Boston (in a fun way!), and the actual ceremony was sitting on bleachers--and, of course, all about the graduates. Honestly, I would worry more about your comfort. Obviously, you want to look nice and put-together--there will be photos, and meet-and-greets. Especially if you have health issues, I recommend dressing in something you can sit/stand in for hours.

This concerns me. Steps are a problem, but I will have to tough it out for my DS. I literally can't stand for hours though, regardless of how I'm dressed. I definitely need to have DS get more details on what to expect.

Dress for the weather....if its chilly wear slacks, if it looks like it will be nice then wear a dress but bring a sweater. Will you be inside or outside, will you be sitting in bleachers or in chairs on the floor (makes a difference in shoes I would wear).

Macy's.com
Northstyle.com
Dillard's.com

MJ

The graduation is in Boca Raton, FL. Weather shouldn't be a problem. I haven't even asked about seating arrangements. I need to do that. Thanks for the website suggestions.

We've been lucky with college graduations so far. Both in nice indoor venues with ample seating. I wore casual dressy..... or dressy casual? (dress pants, springy blouse and a jacket). The ceremonies are very long so comfort is important. I'm so glad I attended both ceremonies.

Congrats to your son @tarheelmjfan !

Last edited:
I'll probably wear a skirt(printed/dressy/stretchy/comfy)...I love that skirt. Add a pair of sandals and a dressy t-shirt and I'll be all set. I hope it not hours long like so many of you are describing! I know there's a separate graduation for her college within the university and then one for the whole university. I suppose it might depend on who the speaker is for that if she wants to go to it.

We're hosting a brunch for family, DD's boyfriend and his parents, and DD's roommates at our favorite restaurant in her college town. Probably 20 people and that's it. Not really a party. Just going out to eat after. I've had it reserved since late December when her grad time was announced. Her college town has two colleges both graduating the same weekend so I can't even imagine the waits of we just walked in some where. Plus my siblings and mom are traveling 4 to 5 hours to attend so we will want some time to hang out since we aren't able to get together often.

I'm honestly surprised that most celebrate high school grads huge and then are so low key about college. I'm much more excited about college. It seems much more of an accomplishment. Maybe because in our family, my siblings and I are first generation college grads. And so far of our 14 kids, DD will only be the second to graduate college. Three more are on track and close behind her though.

Last edited:
I'm wearing a dress and wedge heels to our daughter's graduation from her masters program. The graduation is inside a convocation center. I wore a dress and flat sandals to her undergraduate college graduation.

When DD graduated the ceremony was outside and it was very hot. I wore a cotton maxi skirt and nice top. I could still wear flats (I think I actually work croc dress flip flops)

We're hosting a brunch for family, DD's boyfriend and his parents, and DD's roommates at our favorite restaurant in her college town. Probably 20 people and that's it. Not really a party. Just going out to eat after. I've had it reserved since late December when her grad time was announced. Her college town has two colleges both graduating the same weekend so I can't even imagine the waits of we just walked in some where. Plus my siblings and mom are traveling 4 to 5 hours to attend so we will want some time to hang out since we aren't able to get together often.

I'm honestly surprised that most celebrate high school grads huge and then are so low key about college. I'm much more excited about college. It seems much more of an accomplishment. Maybe because in our family, my siblings and I are first generation college grads. And so far of our 14 kids, DD will only be the second to graduate college. Three more are on track and close behind her though.
In our families, every single person has at least an undergraduate degree, most have at least a secondary. I’m a slacker, 2 credits from my masters, DH, my dad, and my sister and her DH have MBA’s, dd21 will get her MS in December. Cousins, aunts, uncles...

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Obviously, it's been a long time, since I graduated. At the time, it appeared all women wore dresses. It sounds like things have changed a lot, since then. Dresses are my go-to, when I want to look nice, so I'll probably stick with that. I'll probably get 2" or so wedge heels to wear with it. The only flats I wear are tennis shoes & flip flops. You get used to wearing heels, when you're only 5' 1". :laughing:

I've been looking at dresses that have the school colors also. I'll probably only choose one of the colors though. I haven't seen anything with both colors that I like.

This concerns me. Steps are a problem, but I will have to tough it out for my DS. I literally can't stand for hours though, regardless of how I'm dressed. I definitely need to have DS get more details on what to expect.

The graduation is in Boca Raton, FL. Weather shouldn't be a problem. I haven't even asked about seating arrangements. I need to do that. Thanks for the website suggestions.

The most important thing is that you be comfortable. Another thing to consider is, if you have a handicap placard, this is a good time to use it. If you don't, you might want to ask your doctor about a temporary one for this occasion. I'm not a fan of gaming the system or anything, but this is a big occasion--you don't want to miss out, but you don't want to put your health at risk, either. There may well be handicapped seating where you could be in the shade, not have to deal with steps, be seated comfortably, etc.

When I mentioned standing for hours--probably not during the actual ceremony, but I know for my DD, there was a standing reception afterwards. Every school is different, but getting a handle on what to expect is a good idea. This is a joyous day--I would hate to see you suffer, or pay for it for days later, when you should be happy and proud and just sitting back, waiting for your son to mail home large checks to Mom and Dad.

I was just going to wear my nicest dark jeans and a dressier top and nice sandals. Didn't occur to me to get real dressy. I guess I have on idea if that's a thing here or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter