Ladies What Are You Wearing to Your Child's College Graduation?

DS #1's department graduation was Friday night and the big one was Saturday. We went to both. DS is only an hour and a half away but traffic was going to be an issue so I looked for hotels. Unfortunately I looked about 9 months out and was too late so we ended up having to drive back and forth. Friday night after work was a nightmare trying to make it on time.

For DS #2 I reserved a room a whole year ahead (his was 3 hours away but you had the traffic of the other one on the way - the 3 main schools in our state all have graduation the same weekend and where we live we hit the traffic for all of them) and still didn't get my first choice! The hotel I wanted only booked one year out, but they were 100% booked the first day - I had forgotten to call and called one day later - too late!

DS #1's department graduation was Friday night and the big one was Saturday. We went to both. DS is only an hour and a half away but traffic was going to be an issue so I looked for hotels. Unfortunately I looked about 9 months out and was too late so we ended up having to drive back and forth. Friday night after work was a nightmare trying to make it on time.

For DS #2 I reserved a room a whole year ahead (his was 3 hours away but you had the traffic of the other one on the way - the 3 main schools in our state all have graduation the same weekend and where we live we hit the traffic for all of them) and still didn't get my first choice! The hotel I wanted only booked one year out, but they were 100% booked the first day - I had forgotten to call and called one day later - too late!

You're right on this! My DD graduated in Boston--we knew it was going to be tricky. I called 365 days out, still couldn't get my preferred hotel. Luckily, I got a nice room at a $300/night one. Normally, I'm super cheap, but I was glad just to have a place to stay! Boston has ~60 colleges--luckily, she was at a large one, and they stagger their graduations on purpose.

Since I last posted, I talked to DS. The graduations span two days. There will be three ceremonies each day. Hopefully, that will shorten the ceremony a little & make it easier for me.

This https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2591560/womens-chaps-pleated-sheath-dress.jsp?skuId=75446938 is the dress I'm ordering in Turquoise Floral, but I want to order a couple more to have more options to choose from. What do you all think about this one?

My daughter is a college freshman but for her high school graduation I wore a black and white dress from Loft and a pair of kitten heals. Her graduation was outside on the turf field in June. It was a warm night.

Her college graduation will be in May on the National Mall in DC. It will be warm and we will likely walk there from our hotel. I'll likely wear something similar.

Where is the graduation - inside or out, day or night? Those things would dictate what I wear.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans to a graduation but I also would wear something fancy.

DS said he thinks the graduation is in the football stadium. Like DH, he's not a planner. He'll make sure we know where to go, but we probably won't find out exactly where, until a day or two prior to the graduation.

I shop at Anthropologie quite a bit. Online and in the store. I like many of their dress styles. There are many different styles to choose from here. I go with a semi casual dress and nice heeled sandals for grads.

https://www.anthropologie.com/dresses?page=3

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Since I last posted, I talked to DS. The graduations span two days. There will be three ceremonies each day. Hopefully, that will shorten the ceremony a little & make it easier for me.

This https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2591560/womens-chaps-pleated-sheath-dress.jsp?skuId=75446938 is the dress I'm ordering, but I want to order a couple more to have more options to choose from. What do you all think about this one?

I love that dress! the only thing- Do you have a coupon? I think $100 for a casual dress is a lot! I usually have good luck at Macy's for dresses

We're hosting a brunch for family, DD's boyfriend and his parents, and DD's roommates at our favorite restaurant in her college town. Probably 20 people and that's it. Not really a party. Just going out to eat after. I've had it reserved since late December when her grad time was announced. Her college town has two colleges both graduating the same weekend so I can't even imagine the waits of we just walked in some where. Plus my siblings and mom are traveling 4 to 5 hours to attend so we will want some time to hang out since we aren't able to get together often.

I'm honestly surprised that most celebrate high school grads huge and then are so low key about college. I'm much more excited about college. It seems much more of an accomplishment. Maybe because in our family, my siblings and I are first generation college grads. And so far of our 14 kids, DD will only be the second to graduate college. Three more are on track and close behind her though.

DD's graduation spans a couple of days, but she just told me she only wants to go to her college's one and not the large University one in the stadium. LOL...we do pretty small gatherings, so 20 people would be considered a party for us! We're local, so we'll probably go to a favorite restaurant sometime that weekend. It will probably just be DH and the kids. Our family all live pretty far away. I better get on it to get reservations though! That's usually a weekend we just stay home since the town gets VERY busy with all the families coming in for graduation and with everyone moving out of the dorms and such.

We did have a larger party for the kids when they graduated HS. Even though graduating college is definitely a bigger deal, it just felt like the right time to do a big party as they started young adulthood.

D'S refused to walk for his bachelor's or masters, he is saying he may walk for his doctorate, ugh. DD I wore a nice dress and pumps for her bachelor's, after the 6 hours graduation took she refused to walk for her masters, I would be lying if I said I was sad she didnt walk. She and I did a Girls trip to Disney World to celebrate!

My DS was the same way. He said he wasn't walking, until he met his final goal, then life happened. My parents are both deceased. FIL passed away two years ago. I think he changed his mind, because he wants his Nana to see him graduate at least once. I think it bothers him that his other grandparents can't be there to see him reach his goal. He didn't even mention a second, larger graduation. I really don't think he cares about that. He just wants his Nana to see him graduate, before she's gone. Generally, he's not one that's into pomp & circumstance. We find out about his awards/academic accomplishments, when he brings them home & I happen upon them. He seems to think he hasn't accomplished anything academically, until he meets his final goal. I don't know where he got that idea. We've always supported him & let him know we're proud of all of his accomplishments academic & otherwise.

I assume this was in response to my "jeans or leggings" attire?

In my area, high school graduations are more of a "to do" when it comes to dress code than my kids' college grads have been. When I went to either of my kids' high school graduations, I wore a dress that I usually wear to work. One was sitting out on the football field in 95 degree heat. The other was in an arena.

I have found, at least where we live, that the college graduations are MUCH bigger, a little more impersonal, and the attire from all parents seems to be much more casual. Probably due to the large amount of walking and shuttling one often has to do (depending on the school).

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I was some bumpkin. I actually wear dresses (and pantyhose!!:crazy2:) pretty regularly. It just seems overdone for our area and what you go through. I will be in a stadium and on bleachers for 5 1/2 hours, rain or shine.

To quote Waterboy, "pantyhose are the devil." I have worn pantyhose a grand total of one time, since we moved to Florida 21 years ago. That was to FIL's funeral in NC in January. Needless to say, I won't be wearing pantyhose to the graduation.

I'll probably wear a skirt(printed/dressy/stretchy/comfy)...I love that skirt. Add a pair of sandals and a dressy t-shirt and I'll be all set. I hope it not hours long like so many of you are describing! I know there's a separate graduation for her college within the university and then one for the whole university. I suppose it might depend on who the speaker is for that if she wants to go to it.

I can't wait! We're so proud of her. That said, we aren't doing a big party for her. She doesn't really want one. We'll probably just go out to eat that weekend and maybe have a small gathering with a few family members later in the summer. Is that fairly common for college graduations? I'm trying to just follow what she wants for that, but I don't want her to feel like we're ignoring it either!

Congrats to your DD!

DS is only allowed to invite 4 people to his graduation, so DH, MIL & I will be the only people that attend. We'll probably host a graduation party with his aunts, uncles & cousins, when we're in NC this summer. It will be a casual, family get-together. His friends will probably throw a party for him here, but we won't attend. After the graduation, DH, MIL & I will take him out to lunch & give him his gift.

Last edited:
We've been lucky with college graduations so far. Both in nice indoor venues with ample seating. I wore casual dressy..... of dressy casual? (dress pants, springy blouse and a jacket). The ceremonies are very long so comfort is important. I'm so glad I attended both ceremonies.

Congrats to your son @tarheelmjfan !

:thanks:

The most important thing is that you be comfortable. Another thing to consider is, if you have a handicap placard, this is a good time to use it. If you don't, you might want to ask your doctor about a temporary one for this occasion. I'm not a fan of gaming the system or anything, but this is a big occasion--you don't want to miss out, but you don't want to put your health at risk, either. There may well be handicapped seating where you could be in the shade, not have to deal with steps, be seated comfortably, etc.

When I mentioned standing for hours--probably not during the actual ceremony, but I know for my DD, there was a standing reception afterwards. Every school is different, but getting a handle on what to expect is a good idea. This is a joyous day--I would hate to see you suffer, or pay for it for days later, when you should be happy and proud and just sitting back, waiting for your son to mail home large checks to Mom and Dad.

I've avoided getting a handicap placard mostly out of stubbornness. :o I figure I can always stay home, when I'm having a bad day & people in wheelchairs can't. You're right though. There are times, when staying home isn't an option & I need special accommodations. Fortunately, I've encountered many kind, understanding people, when I'm caught in a difficult situation. I do need to get a placard, so I don't have to depend on the kindness of strangers. When they can't accommodate me, I understand & figure something out. DH is good about dropping me off & making sure I'm taken care of. I could easily get a placard, so I should just go ahead & do it. I just feel bad for those who are confined to a wheelchair & can't walk at all.

I love the idea of the large checks. :thumbsup2

You're right on this! My DD graduated in Boston--we knew it was going to be tricky. I called 365 days out, still couldn't get my preferred hotel. Luckily, I got a nice room at a $300/night one. Normally, I'm super cheap, but I was glad just to have a place to stay! Boston has ~60 colleges--luckily, she was at a large one, and they stagger their graduations on purpose.

We're fortunate that DS goes to school in South Florida (vacation central). Finding a hotel isn't a problem.

I love that dress! the only thing- Do you have a coupon? I think $100 for a casual dress is a lot! I usually have good luck at Macy's for dresses

Thanks. I didn't include the color in my original post, but I would be ordering the Turquoise Floral to go with the school colors. A few of you have mentioned Macy's. I'll check out the site to see what they have online. I always look for coupon codes. If there's one out there, I'll find it, before placing my order. :teeth:

:thanks:

I've avoided getting a handicap placard mostly out of stubbornness. :o I figure I can always stay home, when I'm having a bad day & people in wheelchairs can't. You're right though. There are times, when staying home isn't an option & I need special accommodations. Fortunately, I've encountered many kind, understanding people, when I'm caught in a difficult situation. I do need to get a placard, so I don't have to depend on the kindness of strangers. When they can't accommodate me, I understand & figure something out. DH is good about dropping me off & making sure I'm taken care of. I could easily get a placard, so I should just go ahead & do it. I just feel bad for those who are confined to a wheelchair & can't walk at all.

I love the idea of the large checks. :thumbsup2

We're fortunate that DS goes to school in South Florida (vacation central). Finding a hotel isn't a problem.

Okay--get the placard. You don't have to use it all the time. IME, graduations is one of those times when they're sticklers about actually having one. My MIL needed one when she attended DS20's HS graduation--you couldn't get near the handicapped parking lot without one. I think for everyday type stuff, people are happy to give you a "by". You don't want to miss this big day!

DD's graduation spans a couple of days, but she just told me she only wants to go to her college's one and not the large University one in the stadium. LOL...we do pretty small gatherings, so 20 people would be considered a party for us! We're local, so we'll probably go to a favorite restaurant sometime that weekend. It will probably just be DH and the kids. Our family all live pretty far away. I better get on it to get reservations though! That's usually a weekend we just stay home since the town gets VERY busy with all the families coming in for graduation and with everyone moving out of the dorms and such.

We did have a larger party for the kids when they graduated HS. Even though graduating college is definitely a bigger deal, it just felt like the right time to do a big party as they started young adulthood.

We also had a large Open house for DD's high school grad so I get celebrating it. I mostly meant that I was surprised in my other thread that so many said that they really don't have anything planned for college.

DD's moving on so won't be home for a party. Plus I appreciate those who are traveling and booking a hotel to celebrate with us that weekend sp I want to host a meal. My siblings and I are pretty much an "any excuse to get together and party it up" group.

I’m attending my nieces graduation and I bought this dress https://www.talbots.com/online/dres...hift-dress-prdi45603/N-10189?selectedConcept=. Niece was with me and thought it was great. She goes to school in DC so I think things are dressier. My sister is wearing something similar. I bought the black

For my D’s college graduation I wore a simple wrap dress and I wore nice black pants to my S’s but it was cold and there was still snow on the ground.

Okay--get the placard. You don't have to use it all the time. IME, graduations is one of those times when they're sticklers about actually having one. My MIL needed one when she attended DS20's HS graduation--you couldn't get near the handicapped parking lot without one. I think for everyday type stuff, people are happy to give you a "by". You don't want to miss this big day!
Just to be clear, we don't ever park in handicap parking. I would never do that without a placard. When possible, DH drops me off, then parks.

Thanks again for the advice.

Just to be clear, we don't ever park in handicap parking. I would never do that without a placard. When possible, DH drops me off, then parks.

Thanks again for the advice.

Of course you don't, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I meant more that people might let you go ahead in line, that sort of thing, under regular, everyday circumstances.

When my mom was legally blind, she fought the placard tooth and nail--she wasn't "that" kind of handicapped, KWIM? But it did come in handy when taking her to Walmart or wherever--it's not easy to navigate those parking lots with someone with very poor vision. We couldn't really do the drop-off thing, either, because of the nature of her sight--she had scars on her retina, so she had big missing parts of her vision--tripping over a curb or walking into something were very real possibilities.

Of course you don't, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I meant more that people might let you go ahead in line, that sort of thing, under regular, everyday circumstances.

When my mom was legally blind, she fought the placard tooth and nail--she wasn't "that" kind of handicapped, KWIM? But it did come in handy when taking her to Walmart or wherever--it's not easy to navigate those parking lots with someone with very poor vision. We couldn't really do the drop-off thing, either, because of the nature of her sight--she had scars on her retina, so she had big missing parts of her vision--tripping over a curb or walking into something were very real possibilities.
I knew you were just trying to be helpful, but I wanted to clarify, before one of the usual suspects read something in my post that wasn't there & jumped all over it.

@tarheelmjfan
Check the school web site for details about commencement ceremonies and specific procedures. This will tell you the times, locations and parking details. I would NOT assume that you can be dropped off without a placard - you will often be directed into a lot far from the location of the ceremony.

I have been looking for something different and decided to break the fashion rules and go with the outfit I wore to my 40th class reunion last year. White pants with a light blue silk tank and a light blue and white jacket. I thought I would get a new dress and never found one I liked. I will be on my Ecv so I hope my white pants aren’t as noticeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter