Ladies What Are You Wearing to Your Child's College Graduation?

My stepdaughter will be graduating (high school), I have not yet started stressing about it. At the moment I really do not have a clue. Hers will be outdoors, so that is making my decision making process a little more difficult.

As I recall, many graduations are VERY hot. (The ones I have attended have been indoors in late May/early June) Of course your mileage may vary due to venue and geographic location.

I believe that jeans or leggings with anything are highly inappropriate for a graduation. My first thoughts would be a dress, something in school colors is an excellent touch and sandals. I would think that a college graduation would not be any less formal than a high school graduation.

I think I’m going to stick with white pants and a flowery blouse. The more I’m learning, I’ll be getting my 10,000 steps just getting from the parking lot to my seat. We convinced the grandparents to stay home and watch from their computer, we will go out to eat after Dd and ds’s confirmation the following Sunday, with the grandparents.

I’d wear a sundress or long flowy skirt with a nice top and sandals or flats. You want to look decent for photos but also be comfortable. If it’s outside in warm weather, I might wear a wide-brimmed hat for sun protection (but would take it off if blocking someone else’s view).

Congrats to all the parents of graduates!

As I recall, many graduations are VERY hot. (The ones I have attended have been indoors in late May/early June) Of course your mileage may vary due to venue and geographic location.

My son's college graduation is on May 4th. A little under one month. We are in the DC area and it has been freakishly cold/cool all winter and it seems like the winter will never end. It's really hard for me to believe that in 3.5 weeks time I'm going to be in a sleeveless, summery outfit. It's just not happening this year. This one is outdoors so we could actually be freezing (despite the promise of "May flowers", our early May weather tends to be cool and rainy). I think I'm going to be figuring this all out the week before!

My son's college graduation is on May 4th. A little under one month. We are in the DC area and it has been freakishly cold/cool all winter and it seems like the winter will never end. It's really hard for me to believe that in 3.5 weeks time I'm going to be in a sleeveless, summery outfit. It's just not happening this year. This one is outdoors so we could actually be freezing (despite the promise of "May flowers", our early May weather tends to be cool and rainy). I think I'm going to be figuring this all out the week before!
My DD’s graduation is April 28th and we have several inches of snow and are expecting more. Not sure if we will even have spring this year.

@tarheelmjfan
Check the school web site for details about commencement ceremonies and specific procedures. This will tell you the times, locations and parking details. I would NOT assume that you can be dropped off without a placard - you will often be directed into a lot far from the location of the ceremony.

Thanks for the tip. I've checked the school's site & there's very little info. Hopefully, there will be more info released closer to the date. Regardless, I'll do whatever it takes to make the day special for DS. I've suffered through painful days before to make my family happy. I can do it again, if necessary.

I have been looking for something different and decided to break the fashion rules and go with the outfit I wore to my 40th class reunion last year. White pants with a light blue silk tank and a light blue and white jacket. I thought I would get a new dress and never found one I liked. I will be on my Ecv so I hope my white pants aren’t as noticeable.

That sounds like a very nice outfit. I'm sure you'll look great. I don't typically wear dress pants, or I'd consider an outfit like that.

My stepdaughter will be graduating (high school), I have not yet started stressing about it. At the moment I really do not have a clue. Hers will be outdoors, so that is making my decision making process a little more difficult.

I believe that jeans or leggings with anything are highly inappropriate for a graduation. My first thoughts would be a dress, something in school colors is an excellent touch and sandals. I would think that a college graduation would not be any less formal than a high school graduation.

A sundress & sandals would be perfect for an outdoor, high school graduation.

I’d wear a sundress or long flowy skirt with a nice top and sandals or flats. You want to look decent for photos but also be comfortable. If it’s outside in warm weather, I might wear a wide-brimmed hat for sun protection (but would take it off if blocking someone else’s view).

Congrats to all the parents of graduates!

I envy people who can carry off wide brimmed hats. They look so sophisticated on people who can pull them off. Any type of hat looks horrible on me. I hated wearing ball caps, when I played softball. That's the last cap/hat I've worn. I use makeup with SPF.

Thanks for the congrats.

Fortunately, DS's University is in South Florida. When I'm cold, I really don't care about fashion. I'll put on whatever it takes to get me warn. In your situation, I would definitely go for warmth over fashion. Congrats to your DS. I hope you have better weather than expected.

Sons college graduation was at 8 am outdoors on the lawn - it was chilly and slightly damp. I wore slacks with a sweater and comfortable shoes (Dansko's). Hubby wore his University Polo with slacks. My Bro and SIL were in Jeans, my DD was in jeans and a t-shirt.

For his hooding ceremony from Physical Therapy Grad school a few years later, it was indoors and a bit more dressy. I wore the same black slacks but jazzed it up with a blouse and blazer along with a low heeled pointy toed pump. My MIL / SIL were as similar. All the guys wore slacks, shirt, tie and sports coats, my DD wore leggings and a blouse.

Wife purchased a nice blue and white flowery dress today at Dillard's our daughter graduates from law school in Quebec this June.
It appears this is DS's next goal, but I really wish I could talk him out of it. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to listen to me, when it comes to choosing a career. :p

I shop at Anthropologie quite a bit. Online and in the store. I like many of their dress styles. There are many different styles to choose from here. I go with a semi casual dress and nice heeled sandals for grads.

https://www.anthropologie.com/dresses?page=3
Wife loves that place, visits one in Oakville and another in Orlando, Disney has one too. There is a large one at Rockefeller Center, I like that one since there is a nice place for the men to sit. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter