Lady and the Tramp- No 4K UHD??

TexasErin

Loves old Pluto cartoons
DVC Silver
After watching Craig’s review of Lady and the Tramp, I wanted to get it for the special features, but we already have it on Blu-ray. Why on earth would they not go ahead and release it in 4K UHD!? We already bought it on Blu-ray a couple of years ago, so we don’t need it again on Blu-ray. However I would’ve bought it in a heartbeat if it were offered in 4K UHD. Disney just leaving money on the table!!

It's a good question Erin! Gotta wonder if some of those older titles that have been released on VHS/Beta, Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu-ray will ever be issued on physical media in 4K.

A very small handful of Disney movies are on UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Marvel and a current movie), Cars 3 (Pixar and a current movie), The Last Jedi (Lucasfilm and a current movie), Thor Ragnarok (Marvel and a current movie) and Coco (Pixar and a current movie). Disney hasn't rolled out any catalogue titles in 4k. Yet.

I'd be bummed if we never saw them on 4k. But it is a distinct possibility.

I'd be bummed if we never saw them on 4k. But it is a distinct possibility.
I don't know. All of this polishing takes some of the charm off the old films. Had a chance to see some original sequences of Pinocchio and Snow White, and when comparing them to the cleaned up and brighter versions of today... eh, something went wrong somewhere along the way.

Now, I wouldn't mind if they released a double-film, with the 4K and the original theatrical version. That would be great viewing.

Well, Disney does have a problem with how they transfer their films. They tend to degrain everything. That's why everything on disc looks so...different. If they did a straight transfer from the original elements (assuming there are enough lines of resolution for 4k), apply the HDR appropriately and put it on disc, there shouldn't be a problem.

But it all comes down to the original elements. If there wouldn't be any upgrade in quality, then I'm happy with my BD's.

Well, Disney does have a problem with how they transfer their films. They tend to degrain everything. That's why everything on disc looks so...different. If they did a straight transfer from the original elements (assuming there are enough lines of resolution for 4k), apply the HDR appropriately and put it on disc, there shouldn't be a problem.

But it all comes down to the original elements. If there wouldn't be any upgrade in quality, then I'm happy with my BD's.

lol there are no lines of resolution, film is analog and has up to an estimated pixel resolution of 7-8K. Just came here to say this, and that Beauty & The Beast (with its hand-painted backgrounds) would also like amazing in 4K HDR!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!