Land & Sea or Aulani? 10 year Anniversary Celebrations!!

NYE Land & Sea or Aulani?

• Total voters

Erin Martin

Earning My Ears
I'm DIStracted at work ... no surprised there! Our 10 year anniversary is coming up on New Years Eve next year - when 2019 becomes 2020 - and I'm debating on which would be better: A WDW stay from Dec. 30 through Jan. 3 or 4 and then a 4 night cruise afterwards OR going to Aulani. We haven't seen NYE at Disney, done a cruise, or been to Aulani yet, so it would all be a new experience. Let me know what your thoughts are!

Maybe Aulani as you wouldn't likely encounter the crowds and stress that you would at WDW.

I would rather book an appointment with the dentist than spending NYE at Disney again. But that's me: I hate overcrowded places and found the whole experience not very magical.
Others like the buzz and the energy of the event.
Only you know if it's something you might like.

With small children (10 or younger) I would say Aulani. If you are going without kids I would say WDW and cruise. I wouldn’t stay at Aulani without kids, too hectic. It kind of erases the Hawaii atmosphere for me.

Both (cruise and Aulani) if you have the time and money. My wife and I were fortunate to do Aulani when DCL did a Hawaii 10 night cruise out of Vancouver. We added several days at Aulani to the end of that trip. They are not offering the Hawaii cruises any more, but if I had the time I would do a cruise and Aulani combo trip, maybe during the summer when DCL is on the west coast. Don’t confine yourself to a narrow timeline. You can celebrate your 10th anniversary Disney style (18 months of special events) :)

And Hawaii has a category 5 hurricane bearing down on them for Thursday arrival. So keep them in your thoughts.

Last edited:

Since you have not been to Aulani, go to Aulani.

If you just HAVE to do the WDW/DCL thing, I would do a NYE DCL cruise followed by early January in WDW. There is an upper bound on the DCL crowd; WDW does not appear to be handicapped in this way. Early January in WDW has about the lowest crowd level you are likely to experience. That and Orlando is NOT hotter than the surface of the sun.

Hawaii, maybe a few days at Aulani, but then check out Maui or Kauai for 4-5 days. Unless you plan to visit Hawaii often. We have found Oahu is not worth more than 3 days, and only once in you lifetime. The real Hawaii is on Kauai and Maui. Our favorite has been the Big Island, but the current eruption has things all messed up there. JMHO

I voted for Aulani. We have spent 8 days at the resort without any problems. But the island is very beautiful and it is an easy drive from Aulani to the north shore. If you have the vacation time I would consider going to another island, but I would always spend at least 5 days on each island.

This year we are doing a NYE cruise on DCL. We want the experience, and who knows, that may be special enough for us always to want to do it. Will let you know. I mentioned Aulani previously.

Until this year, for about 8 years, we have been to WDW on NYE, doing MK fireworks on the 30th and Epcot’s on the 31. Sometimes we have booked a fireworks cruise, or joined others on one on either of the days. You do not have to be overwhelmed with crowds at WDW during that time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!