lanyards question

Grammyx2

Earning My Ears
I know that in Disney World they use magic bands is that the same on the ship or do we need to have a lanyardd to use and if we use the lanyard do we need a plastic holder to put our cruise card in

I know that in Disney World they use magic bands is that the same on the ship or do we need to have a lanyardd to use and if we use the lanyard do we need a plastic holder to put our cruise card in

The ship does not use magic bands, yet. They still use the card system. You're not required to use a lanyard, but many people find it convenient. If this is your first cruise, you will have to purchase lanyards ahead of time. If you have cruised at least once, lanyards will be provided to you. Yes, you would want to have a plastic holder for putting the card in.

And you just need to tap the card on the reader so you can leave it in the lanyard. I would bring another card to put into the light switch so you can keep your card in the lanyard.

Thanks for asking this, as a first timer I never thought about this. Off to buy some lanyards!

I guess I need to search about the card/light switch??!! Not sure what that means?

I guess I need to search about the card/light switch??!! Not sure what that means?

The Dream and Fantasy have a card slot next to the door that enables the room power. This is similar to many hotel rooms I've been in in Europe. It doesn't have to be your key card - it can be any card.

I don't believe they've retro-fitted the Wonder/Magic for this, so if you sail those ships, you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for asking this, as a first timer I never thought about this. Off to buy some lanyards!

First time for us on the Disney Cruise. I think the card/light switch is that you have to have a card in the slot for the lights to work. I think some people use old expired gift cards or something like that to just leave in the slot for the trip

bring an old gift card or hotel room key. there is a slot on the wall you out it in to have the lights on in the room.

No one needs a lanyard at all - it's just a way to carry your key. It can be carried in your pocket, a small purse, etc as well.

Thanks everyone! We aren't planning on going until 2020 but I have been trying to learn a little something every day....this thread is today's tidbit! I ordered lanyards (using the Disney friends and family code) and will put them away until closer to cruise time. I know my children will want to have lanyards. They just got their driver's licenses a couple of months ago and use lanyards for their car keys/license so I know they will want them on the ship too (but I won't want them to use the same ones). I got the wallet style Disney cruise lines one and will probably put them in their Christmas stockings when the time comes!

I also put an old gift card on the packing list (yes, I have been compiling notes already)! Thanks again!

I would bring another card to put into the light switch so you can keep your card in the lanyard.

A good tip! And as PP's have said, any old used gift card or similar will do the trick. I tend to forget about this since I have mostly cruised the Classic ships. :cutie:

You can easily buy a lanyard at a gift shop onboard (they sell lots of them), or just carry the card in your pocket/purse. No magic bands for DCL.

Wait - you don't need a card to operate the lights on the Magic and Wonder? I'm a first-time cruiser sailing on the Magic and was planning to glue a magnet onto an old gift card, like I've seen recommended so many times... I guess i can scratch that one off my to-do list, eh?

I’m a first-time cruiser with a mountain of lanyards from many, many years of conference events. Are these kosher, or are lanyards onboard meant to be Disney-only?

Mark

I’m a first-time cruiser with a mountain of lanyards from many, many years of conference events. Are these kosher, or are lanyards onboard meant to be Disney-only?

Mark

Some large groups of cruisers wear custom-made lanyards. You don't have to wear a Disney lanyard, any more than you have to wear an all-Disney wardrobe while onboard.

Wait - you don't need a card to operate the lights on the Magic and Wonder? I'm a first-time cruiser sailing on the Magic and was planning to glue a magnet onto an old gift card, like I've seen recommended so many times... I guess i can scratch that one off my to-do list, eh?

Correct! The DCL "classic" ships, the Magic and the Wonder do not have the feature described that requires either your KTTW card or other credit card sized card, in order to turn on lights in the stateroom. So you can delete that from your to-do list! Happy planning! :flower2:

Even on the newer ships you don't need a magnet on the back. We just use our hotel key from the night before. If you pull it out partway (easy), then the lights go out. Walk into the room, push it all the way into the slot.

Some large groups of cruisers wear custom-made lanyards. You don't have to wear a Disney lanyard, any more than you have to wear an all-Disney wardrobe while onboard.

I think you were joking about the wardrobe, but I totally do have an all-disney wardrobe for myself and my kids for our trips to WDW and cruises!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter