Laptop or tablet for high school?

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
I only realized a few days ago my son probably needs a laptop for school. He's been showing me all these laptop ads and I was getting ticked off as I spent over 14,000 air miles on a gaming computer he received for Christmas.

I had forgotten he has struggled with writing for years. In grades 6-8 that became almost a non-issue as he was doing the majority of his work on computers. The elementary school had 2 or 3 computers in his classroom so he would bring an USB stick to school and back home again to work on school work.

I was thinking just a basic small cheap laptop and put Microsoft Office home edition student version so he can type notes in class and fix up his notes/work on his school projects at home. He will not be allowed to use it for gaming period. School work only.

Is a laptop the way to go? Should I be looking at tablets instead? I do not use a tablet so I'm unsure how easy or difficult it would be to use it for note taking, essays, etc and transfer the information to his computer if he needs to work on projects using specific programs instead.

I'd love some scenarios and advice please!! Thank you!!

Honestly i would just get a inexpensive laptop/ notebook computer since he has the gaming computer at home. The school computer really only needs to be a glorified typewriter with the student version of Office like you said. If he want fast internet browsing for projects, a gaming machine is certainly up to the task. I bought DH a gaming laptop for his 40th and he has a gaming machine at home as well tha he has bought. DD's school has class set of notebook computers for use in class. Since it won't be his main computer, you can re-evaluate if and when he goes to university. Is there a plan or expectation that he will go to school past high school? That may influence what I invest in a laptop computer for my child. Maybe have you son contribute some money to it so he has something invested in it.

Depends on the school as well. My sisters kids had to use iPads. The school has since changed to chromebooks. Starting in grade 7 the kids need one to take to school. I believe they do have some for use in school but I imagine they are well used.

We have an ipad pro at home and I wouldn’t use that for school. I would definitely choose a lightweigth laptop instead.

No way I'd use a tablet for any kind of typing even as someone pretty proficient at it. Even with a keyboard case it's a lot harder to type on a tablet than on a laptop.

Since he already has a nice laptop, why not just invest in a better Microsoft program and use the one he has

You could maybe reach out to someone at the school for advice? I am a high school teacher and would highly suggest a Chromebook for my students. If the school has reliable wifi and the intention is to take notes, do research and work on simple projects... A chromebook is great! Expensive laptops are generally not suggested/needed unless a student is taking advanced tech classes and has a device better then the schools!

I’m another high school teacher, and I’d second the fact that depending on your school board, the answer will be different. Contact his school, try the teacher-librarian or guidance department if you don’t know another teacher’s name yet. Some schools/boards are moving heavily towards the Chromebooks. All our students do everything in Google Docs and the other Apps there. They look at you sadly, like you’re old and out of the loop if you dare suggest using Microsoft Office for anything.

And, depending on your high school, there may be lots of computers there for students to use. Our school has over 100 in the library, plus another dozen in the special ed resource room, plus one or two in most classrooms. Plus all the labs for computer and business classes, but those aren’t really available outside of class time. The USB stick idea may work just fine.

Either way, he will NOT need something for the first week. Wait until he gets into his classes to see for sure what others are using before you purchase something.

Since it won't be his main computer, you can re-evaluate if and when he goes to university. Is there a plan or expectation that he will go to school past high school? That may influence what I invest in a laptop computer for my child. Maybe have you son contribute some money to it so he has something invested in it.

Yes, cheap is what it looks like he needs. He's not quite certain what he wants to do past high school (though he is looking more at skill trades), but by then the OS and technology would probably be outdated and a new one needed.

Since he already has a nice laptop, why not just invest in a better Microsoft program and use the one he has

Oh, sorry. I was not clear in my OP. He has a gaming desktop, not a laptop.

You could maybe reach out to someone at the school for advice? I am a high school teacher and would highly suggest a Chromebook for my students. If the school has reliable wifi and the intention is to take notes, do research and work on simple projects... A chromebook is great! Expensive laptops are generally not suggested/needed unless a student is taking advanced tech classes and has a device better then the schools!

I’m another high school teacher, and I’d second the fact that depending on your school board, the answer will be different. Contact his school, try the teacher-librarian or guidance department if you don’t know another teacher’s name yet. Some schools/boards are moving heavily towards the Chromebooks. All our students do everything in Google Docs and the other Apps there. They look at you sadly, like you’re old and out of the loop if you dare suggest using Microsoft Office for anything.

And, depending on your high school, there may be lots of computers there for students to use. Our school has over 100 in the library, plus another dozen in the special ed resource room, plus one or two in most classrooms. Plus all the labs for computer and business classes, but those aren’t really available outside of class time. The USB stick idea may work just fine.

Either way, he will NOT need something for the first week. Wait until he gets into his classes to see for sure what others are using before you purchase something.

It looks like our high school office and guidance office opens tomorrow. We will be taking a trip to school this week. I really hope our school board (KPR) provides computers for students but I doubt it.

I guess I'm old then! (sigh) While I knew a bit about Google Docs (he used GD through grades 7/8) I did not realize Chromebooks are a completely different class of computers running their own OS until now. I thought a Chromebook was an Apple computer... :sad2: Until I read Jaimetropmickey's post suggesting Chromebooks are inexpensive and started looking them up.

Thanks for all the replies! This afternoon will see me researching the differences between a Chromebook and a Windows 10 laptop and prices. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get help/answers from the school.

You should pop into your closest Staples -- the ones in our area have a white board at the front of the store with the list from every single school in the area and the items the students need for each grade. INCLUDING the specific brand of pencil crayons for one highly annoying art teacher :P . We were there last night and the lists were already up.

Also take into consideration how he will be transporting the laptop/tablet/chromebook between home and school, and what form of transportation he’ll be using. A tablet with a Bluetooth keypad is much lighter and easier to transport, but it’s not quite as durable as some of the laptops available. If he’s lugging it around the school and/or walking there/back, he’s going to want lighter, though. And he may want whatever he gets to be able to fit in a locker, for safe storage at lunch and during gym class.

You sound just like me. Both my boys insisted that gaming desktops were what they required for school work . So last Christmas, I splurged. Six months later, I've talked with the teachers and their CERTs. My one going into grade 11 says all his friends have MacBooks (Air or Pro) and if he got one of them, it will take him to university. So, he got an early birthday/Christmas present for the new school year. My younger one is just going into high school. He's been using his ipad and is adamant that it's all he needs. We did end up buying him a Logitech keyboard to go with it, so he can type faster.

One thing I was told during my searches for the right item was to watch the start-up time. They have to be ready to go when they sit down and a cheaper computer might be a slower computer. In addition, how will they print anything? Does the school have compatible printers? Do you? What devices do you have at home? Of course, what the school supports will make a difference, too. Some teachers might just text homework to kids, so is it compatible in any way with their phone, if need be?

Whatever you decide, don't forget to get a backpack with a slot to keep the unit safe. I also went for a soft carry case, as well, since our high school won't allow the kids to take their backpacks into their classes. I don't need one of my guys to be the horror story of being bumped on the stairs and their MacBook goes over the railing.

I think we will be going with a Chromebook or cheap laptop for ds14. He will get a more expensive computer when he graduates and knows what he will need for University. That was his sisters Grade 12 grad gift as well. He's going into high school. We have a new gaming desktop that we got last Christmas that is the family computer and will be what he uses at home. We want to get him something else so that he can do work when someone else is using the computer. I'll check what the school suggests but there is no requirement here that kids be bringing in expensive equipment to take notes. Am I the only one who finds that shocking? Perhaps it's a regional thing, or an income thing.. but I guarantee you if my high-schooler told me he needed a $1500 laptop to take notes and write essays I would laugh him out of the room. Maybe I'm out of touch.

ETA.. I do understand that kids will need things to help them when they have trouble writing etc and I’m not against technology in the classroom, I’m just surprised at the idea that they must have them in some school districts or the cost in some cases .

Last edited:
I agree with you, pigletto. I needed to get my son something he would use, not just something. And it's also his birthday/xmas gift, so I'm justifying it that way. He won't be getting another one for grad, but he'll probably want something else by then anyway.

I think we will be going with a Chromebook or cheap laptop for ds14. He will get a more expensive computer when he graduates and knows what he will need for University. That was his sisters Grade 12 grad gift as well. He's going into high school. We have a new gaming desktop that we got last Christmas that is the family computer and will be what he uses at home. We want to get him something else so that he can do work when someone else is using the computer. I'll check what the school suggests but there is no requirement here that kids be bringing in expensive equipment to take notes. Am I the only one who finds that shocking? Perhaps it's a regional thing, or an income thing.. but I guarantee you if my high-schooler told me he needed a $1500 laptop to take notes and write essays I would laugh him out of the room. Maybe I'm out of touch.

ETA.. I do understand that kids will need things to help them when they have trouble writing etc and I’m not against technology in the classroom, I’m just surprised at the idea that they must have them in some school districts or the cost in some cases .

My oldest is going into grade 9, and I'm waiting till school starts before going out to buy anything, so far, we've bought binders, a backpack (less childish looking apparently) and lined paper for note taking. I expect they will work at school on the Google drive, which they already started to do in grade 6.

At our elementary school they used iPads and chrome books almost daily in the classrooms, from JK-8, all funded by parent donations through the years. The school encouraged the kids to bring their own electronics to school, so they wouldn't need to share and my kids came home and told me they wanted to do the same cause kids were bringing MacBooks to school in grade 6! Nope...there was a reason why we donated to the school electronics funds!

Find out what the HS recommends. Many US schools have moved to Chromebooks, which are like "lite" versions of laptops with an Android OS. They are cheap, usually around $200-300.

If the school doesn't provide them for student use, buy one especially if it will help your son with writing. Just make sure the school allows personal devices to be brought in (some don't).

My son started HS yesterday and they issue a Chromebook to every student who needs one. Alternatively, you can bring your own.

I'm leaning towards a Microsoft Surface Go for my grade 10 daughter. She bought herself a nice laptop for home but it's pretty big and heavy. (larger screen size) The Go is only 1.5lbs. With the keyboard that clicks on (magnetic) it has the functionality of a laptop.

A Chromebook is also tempting because it's less expensive if it gets stolen. My kids are slightly turned off of Chromebooks because we got one for them when they first came (my husband and I had already been 100% cloud based forever by that point) but the kids weren't able to run Minecraft on it, haha.

My school provides any Office software they need for free.

Just thought I would give everyone an update as to what happened. Turns out the Resource Department has some laptops. When I explained what was happening with my son he was set up to come in early each morning and sign a laptop out for the day. He has to return the laptop at the end of each day. In the meantime, they are going to set up testing for him to see about an IEP which would give him a computer specifically assigned to him for the rest of high school.

Just thought I would give everyone an update as to what happened. Turns out the Resource Department has some laptops. When I explained what was happening with my son he was set up to come in early each morning and sign a laptop out for the day. He has to return the laptop at the end of each day. In the meantime, they are going to set up testing for him to see about an IEP which would give him a computer specifically assigned to him for the rest of high school.
That's wonderful! I'm glad it was all sorted out for you.
Not long after I posted on this thread I did some research on Chromebooks and found great reviews for one that Costco was having a sale on. I saved $100 off the regular price and got a free wireless mouse with it. It's all that my ds14 needs. Like I mentioned earlier, we built a gaming desktop for last Christmas. This Chromebook will be for homework or taking into school when needed. Our school board uses Google docs/classrooms etc.
He will get a nice expensive laptop as a high school grad present once he has chosen a major and we know what he will need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter