Large groups

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
We have a trip coming up and it looks like most meals will be between 8-12 people! I’m sure to going and it being between 3-6 people max!

I’m assuming the chances of being able to move stuff around is going to be less, and it’s going to be harder.

What about last minute ADR? Not possible? I’m working on my plan now but I’m still a ways out and I know as we get closer, park hours change, and special events are added.

Am I stressing about nothing?

We traveled with a group of 12 last summer. I only booked restaurants that I knew could accommodate us. I can't remember the name of the site, but there is a site that lists all restaurants and the # of people per table.

We were split into 2 groups at Yak & Yeti and Via Napoli, but seated right next to each other. Some places we all sat together (Olivia's, for example).

I wouldn't stress about it. I was more stressed with whether or not everyone would be happy with the restaurant choices. I tried to make sure there was something for everyone.

I wouldn't count on last minute ADRs with such a big group. Maybe a night or 2 the group could split up?

I discovered that some restaurants that won't allow large parties on the Disney dining site are also on Open Table and you are able to book them there. I know what you are going through, we were a party of 21 in May!

We traveled with a group of 12 last summer. I only booked restaurants that I knew could accommodate us. I can't remember the name of the site, but there is a site that lists all restaurants and the # of people per table.

We were split into 2 groups at Yak & Yeti and Via Napoli, but seated right next to each other. Some places we all sat together (Olivia's, for example).

I wouldn't stress about it. I was more stressed with whether or not everyone would be happy with the restaurant choices. I tried to make sure there was something for everyone.

I wouldn't count on last minute ADRs with such a big group. Maybe a night or 2 the group could split up?

Thank you!

Ideally we would break off the 4 of us for a few meals or days, but I have a strong feeling the kids (cousins) aren’t going to feel that. I don’t mind being seated in two groups, I just worry as I like to move stuff around!

Going to search for that site too!

I discovered that some restaurants that won't allow large parties on the Disney dining site are also on Open Table and you are able to book them there. I know what you are going through, we were a party of 21 in May!

Oh boy! How did that go 21 people?!?!

Oh boy! How did that go 21 people?!?!
we did a group of 14 and with the exception on Rainforest Café which we called directly all rest were booked thru Disney. only one that broke group up was Chef Mickey and that one had us at 2 groups of tables right next to each other.

We were a group of 20. We meet together before our ADR window opened. We made multiple reservations, but typically were able to do 2 10 person reservations. We did Boma and Flying Fish (for 10 only). We were seated together at both of those places. We also had ressies for Jungle Canteen but I ditched that for BOG but others in our group went to Jungle Canteen. Before we arrived, a large group went to Diamond Horseshoe at MK.

We did 6 at Tiffins for lunch, that would probably be easy to get but it is super pricy. We did the ROL package. There is no reason NOT to do the package, it actually makes it less $, which is super odd.

I would keep control of your personal ressies. It is ok to show up with less people. We did that at Boma and it was not a problem. (We also have our must do/s - we did those on day 1 and the last day before the 'group' got going)

Honestly, FP were a way bigger deal than meals. We had ages 2-72 and 1 pregnant!

We were a group of 20. We meet together before our ADR window opened. We made multiple reservations, but typically were able to do 2 10 person reservations. We did Boma and Flying Fish (for 10 only). We were seated together at both of those places. We also had ressies for Jungle Canteen but I ditched that for BOG but others in our group went to Jungle Canteen. Before we arrived, a large group went to Diamond Horseshoe at MK.

We did 6 at Tiffins for lunch, that would probably be easy to get but it is super pricy. We did the ROL package. There is no reason NOT to do the package, it actually makes it less $, which is super odd.

I would keep control of your personal ressies. It is ok to show up with less people. We did that at Boma and it was not a problem. (We also have our must do/s - we did those on day 1 and the last day before the 'group' got going)

Honestly, FP were a way bigger deal than meals. We had ages 2-72 and 1 pregnant!

Ugh I don’t even want to think about FP! Last trip I was able to get so many same day FP assuming that’s going to be really hard this trip! We still have sometime before ADR day and of course before FP day. I’m looking forward to and dreading this trip at the same time.

I've gone with 23 before and even ate the the popular places like character meals and 'Ohana. It is more challenging but can be done! If you are working with a limited amount of time, I'd go ahead and call to see if you can modify what you've already got if you're happy with those choices.

Last minute may not be as hard to find as you think. Tonight for example, you can have an ADR for 12 at Biergarten, Boma, Trattoria, Whispering Canyon, and 6 other choices. You'll have to be flexible and be aware that your group might be split across a couple tables and your dining times may not be at peak meal slots.

We've booked trips with 11 people many many times. We have always gotten ADRs for the places we wanted- but definitely on our 180 day mark. Very few choices when you try to switch things up- depending on the popularity of the restaurant and time of year you go.
We got a last minute at GF dinner one time- the one with Cinderella and characters- maybe a couple of weeks before our trip. and once we went to said dinner and Prince Charming was not there- the only reason the teenage girls requested this meal- and they gladly seated us in the GF cafe restaurant. (we asked if Prince Charming was there when we arrived as we were checking in- before we were seated) So it is possible.

The more popular places are going to obviously have less options as far as changing reservations. We always make our reservations when traveling with 11 the minute the 180 day mark opens up and then tweak the times if possible for the next few days. We book the ADR first so we know we have it- then as we think our plans through- change times if we can. Last minute tweaks are much more difficult.

Sometimes breaking the party up may help too. If you search for the large number of people in your party first and get nothing- try for two tables of smaller parties- for our 11 say a table for 6 and 5. We've done that many times and then would call and make the request that our tables be together. Also when we check in- we make sure they know the tables are together and we have never had a problem sitting together.

Also, some restaurants will seat big parties like that at the beginning or end of their 'rotation'- meaning- if dinner starts at 5pm- they book the larger parties at 5pm - we have found ADRs for those times much easier to get for large parties.

Good luck!

I've gone with 23 before and even ate the the popular places like character meals and 'Ohana. It is more challenging but can be done! If you are working with a limited amount of time, I'd go ahead and call to see if you can modify what you've already got if you're happy with those choices.

Last minute may not be as hard to find as you think. Tonight for example, you can have an ADR for 12 at Biergarten, Boma, Trattoria, Whispering Canyon, and 6 other choices. You'll have to be flexible and be aware that your group might be split across a couple tables and your dining times may not be at peak meal slots.

Thank you! I have been checking some reservations to get an idea of what’s available for large groups. Would be helpful if I had a finally head count but since the trip isn’t till the summer I’m waiting till after the holidays to pin everyone down!

We've booked trips with 11 people many many times. We have always gotten ADRs for the places we wanted- but definitely on our 180 day mark. Very few choices when you try to switch things up- depending on the popularity of the restaurant and time of year you go.
We got a last minute at GF dinner one time- the one with Cinderella and characters- maybe a couple of weeks before our trip. and once we went to said dinner and Prince Charming was not there- the only reason the teenage girls requested this meal- and they gladly seated us in the GF cafe restaurant. (we asked if Prince Charming was there when we arrived as we were checking in- before we were seated) So it is possible.

The more popular places are going to obviously have less options as far as changing reservations. We always make our reservations when traveling with 11 the minute the 180 day mark opens up and then tweak the times if possible for the next few days. We book the ADR first so we know we have it- then as we think our plans through- change times if we can. Last minute tweaks are much more difficult.

Sometimes breaking the party up may help too. If you search for the large number of people in your party first and get nothing- try for two tables of smaller parties- for our 11 say a table for 6 and 5. We've done that many times and then would call and make the request that our tables be together. Also when we check in- we make sure they know the tables are together and we have never had a problem sitting together.

Also, some restaurants will seat big parties like that at the beginning or end of their 'rotation'- meaning- if dinner starts at 5pm- they book the larger parties at 5pm - we have found ADRs for those times much easier to get for large parties.

Good luck!

Thank you! Trip is still a ways away but I’ve started writing out my tentative plans so I’m starting to worry. Granted I’m also not 100% on who’s coming and what not so plans are still moving but I have a bit of time till I even need to book ADRs. Good tip about the 5pm slot! Going to keep that in mind.

I will be booking right at the 180 mark and staying on site so that should help so for the later days of the trip.

I've gone with bigger groups several times. My group of 23 was like herding cats! We had a great meal at 'Ohana at one incredibly long table, it was the happy family you'd see on a commercial. A couple other meals weren't as successful because some of my group didn't seem to grasp the concept of how large WDW was and didn't leave enough time to arrive.

A couple of things that I learned, some of them the hard way:
- When booking a big group for must-do's that are popular, making those 180 day ADRs is important.
- Book for the biggest group you think you'll have. It is easier to adjust down in numbers than up.
- Don't book any restaurants that require a pre-payment on your credit card. You will be held responsible for no-shows (CRT, HDDR, etc)
- Most other places are forgiving and don't charge a no-show fee as long as part of your party shows up.
- Share info on dinner location and time with the group. It is really easy to share info if everyone downloads the WDW app and creates a profile. Sending a reminder text about 90 min before your meal can also be helpful.
- Don't sweat it if part of your group would rather ride Tower of Terror again rather than meet the family for dinner that you worked your tail off to book at the most popular restaurant at WDW. (Can you tell that this was hard for me to let go of? LOL)
-Don't overlook the charm and ease of a quick service or lounge meet-up. Send out a group text and see who is available. It is normally pretty easy to find plenty of tables at Tangierine Cafe, Wolfgang Puck Express, Tiki Terrace at the Poly, and the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort.

I've gone with bigger groups several times. My group of 23 was like herding cats! We had a great meal at 'Ohana at one incredibly long table, it was the happy family you'd see on a commercial. A couple other meals weren't as successful because some of my group didn't seem to grasp the concept of how large WDW was and didn't leave enough time to arrive.

A couple of things that I learned, some of them the hard way:
- When booking a big group for must-do's that are popular, making those 180 day ADRs is important.
- Book for the biggest group you think you'll have. It is easier to adjust down in numbers than up.
- Don't book any restaurants that require a pre-payment on your credit card. You will be held responsible for no-shows (CRT, HDDR, etc)
- Most other places are forgiving and don't charge a no-show fee as long as part of your party shows up.
- Share info on dinner location and time with the group. It is really easy to share info if everyone downloads the WDW app and creates a profile. Sending a reminder text about 90 min before your meal can also be helpful.
- Don't sweat it if part of your group would rather ride Tower of Terror again rather than meet the family for dinner that you worked your tail off to book at the most popular restaurant at WDW. (Can you tell that this was hard for me to let go of? LOL)
-Don't overlook the charm and ease of a quick service or lounge meet-up. Send out a group text and see who is available. It is normally pretty easy to find plenty of tables at Tangierine Cafe, Wolfgang Puck Express, Tiki Terrace at the Poly, and the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort.

It is looking like at a minimum the ‘core’ 5 maybe 6 of us will be together 95% of the time so I doubt not being together for meals will be that hard. But I have a feeling is going to make the trip harder in general. I have never gone with another planner, so this is also stressing me out a tad!

CRT and HDDR are on my list ugh!!!! Need to figure that out I think CRT is going to be 100% must do, if change the number a week before will they refund you? Ugh!!!

I can skip HDDR

It is looking like at a minimum the ‘core’ 5 maybe 6 of us will be together 95% of the time so I doubt not being together for meals will be that hard. But I have a feeling is going to make the trip harder in general. I have never gone with another planner, so this is also stressing me out a tad!

CRT and HDDR are on my list ugh!!!! Need to figure that out I think CRT is going to be 100% must do, if change the number a week before will they refund you? Ugh!!!

I can skip HDDR

CRT is always a must do for us as well. Just make sure everyone knows it is already paid for and can not be refunded after a certain point- I think it may be 48 hours not sure. There are 2 large tables I think at CRT- and if you don't get one of those- you can split up and have a few tables and request they be beside each other- we have done both and never ever had an issue at CRT. It is always a 'must' for my crew.

CRT is always a must do for us as well. Just make sure everyone knows it is already paid for and can not be refunded after a certain point- I think it may be 48 hours not sure. There are 2 large tables I think at CRT- and if you don't get one of those- you can split up and have a few tables and request they be beside each other- we have done both and never ever had an issue at CRT. It is always a 'must' for my crew.

Thanks! I just need to plan out my days to make sure I get it. This might just have to be for 8, and other people can fend for them selves

I would make 2 ressies for 6 people each and then cancel if people flake out. Urban legend is that it's easier to get ressies for even numbers at most restaurants. You could also do 3 ressies of 4. I would teach the others how to make their own ressies so you can make yours and not worry about what they are doing. Or just have a back up in your back pocket and cancel it as plans firm up and you know how they 'travel'. (My mom never makes FP or ADR before 11 or so - I still include her but we move on without her.)

My cousin made all of the FPs and then I modified ours as needed (very little, only 1 that I can remember). Since our group was so varied we have some FPs with all 20 and many in smaller groups. So everyone on Mine Train at 10am, then 1/2 went to Space and 1/2 went to Jungle Cruise for example. Some were too short and some didn't like the mountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter