Lasseter may return to Disney

Well, it is not about "hugging" it is about unwanted hugs - and clearly there was a patter of inappropriate - and unwanted - behavior that would be exacerbated when he would drink at events

So if you make it clear you don't want a hug and your boss/superior hugs you - that is not cool
/QUOTE]

This is great. I literally don't want hugs from anyone outside of my family. From a boss...never.

I don’t believe any active posters on these boards would boycott Disney, despite what they may say here.

You're wrong. I take WDW trips at will, the one I have planned for Sept. I could and might cancel in a heartbeat. I could and might take a few this summer too...

I believe that some people could boycott. But the percent of people that ACTUALLY boycott something over this is going to be so neglible that it won't be visible to Disney - and the only thing a boycott hurts - if anything - is the boycotter.

I believe that some people could boycott. But the percent of people that ACTUALLY boycott something over this is going to be so neglible that it won't be visible to Disney - and the only thing a boycott hurts - if anything - is the boycotter.

While I am sure there are a few like @amberpi that really would fully boycott I think you are right about the majority of people

On the flip side, this would erode some of the positive feelings about the company and if you get enough of them over time it does start to hurt the bottom line. Maybe just thinking of myself but it would make me less excited about talking up Disney to my friends and just more likely to mix in other vacations, etc.

Now, maybe now with Galaxy's Edge and stuff there is so much new demand it doesn't matter, but part of Disney's success is it's image and that people "trust the brand" - things like bringing him back (assuming no great explanation of a full investigation and found nothing warranted, etc) huts that image

You're wrong. I take WDW trips at will, the one I have planned for Sept. I could and might cancel in a heartbeat. I could and might take a few this summer too...
I think though when people speak about boycotting they typically mean the whole company as it's their dollars they don't want going to X. I fully stand by someone who will boycott if they believe their cause is great enough. That means much much more than just cancelling trips to WDW I think moreso in this case because of the person involved who wasn't just exclusively part of the Parks but about multi-facets of the company.

I don't know if the poster was speaking about boycotting the Parks or boycotting the Company

One entertainment executive called the possibility of Lasseter returning “a dumb move” for Disney, saying it appears the company is putting more value on one “bad senior guy” than many low-level employees.

^THIS!!!!

But further more the trouble the article goes through to show they can find a middle ground is kinda gross. It's a PATTERN. The charm of him is GONE both in the company and out here. Are they so obsessed with not coping to mistakes that they are willing to do this to so many of their lower level employees. I don't know of ANYONE in Pixar who would argue he is still the deity he was to them. Just pull the plug.

I don’t think it’s possible to boycott a monolith like Disney in totality.

That said, my discretionary spending will be greatly reduced if he is brought back in any form.

I spend a significant amount in various ways that benefit Disney - multiple trips a year, APs, RunDisney races and all the financial expenditures tied to that, first-run viewings of movies, etc.

It would be very easy for me to cut these out and spend that money elsewhere. I don’t watch ESPN, so no problem there. And the only ABC offering I watch is “Grey’s Anatomy”, so I could sure come close ...

For me, this is very personal. As someone who was harassed in the workplace and left a job because the organization turned a blind eye, I will not support any company that does the same. And I certainly don’t need to be mansplained about how his behavior might be different.

I don’t believe any active posters on these boards would boycott Disney, despite what they may say here.

But you don't have to do a full boycott...you just have to severely reduce your spending down to what you "must" have from Disney corporate.

For example, I still buy 1st run movie tickets to Disney Marvel movies...but I've given up Disney's channels on cable (including ESPN), stopped buying most of my Marvel comic books (down to my 2 favorites when I used to pull 10+), skipped park trips since 2012 (and put another one off this year now for 2019/2020), skipped Blu Rays/DVDs for the last few movies that I always used to buy (now, it's just watch on Netflix and enjoy once), stopped buying their book lines (and just hit the library), etc, etc...I've probably gone from spending $10K/year to $200-300/year with Disney corporate. I'm at the point I'm unlikely to give up more, but if everyone pared down to "their bare essentials" of Disney, Disney would rapidly change directions...as always, money talks and well, other stuff walks...

EDIT: And other than the trips, the rest I gave up 6 months ago b/c I knew which way Disney was gonna decide...sabbatical is another word for save...

I don’t think it’s possible to boycott a monolith like Disney in totality.

That said, my discretionary spending will be greatly reduced if he is brought back in any form.

I spend a significant amount in various ways that benefit Disney - multiple trips a year, APs, RunDisney races and all the financial expenditures tied to that, first-run viewings of movies, etc.

It would be very easy for me to cut these out and spend that money elsewhere. I don’t watch ESPN, so no problem there. And the only ABC offering I watch is “Grey’s Anatomy”, so I could sure come close ...

For me, this is very personal. As someone who was harassed in the workplace and left a job because the organization turned a blind eye, I will not support any company that does the same. And I certainly don’t need to be mansplained about how his behavior might be different.

I don't spend a ton with Disney outside of WDW and for me, it'd be super easy to cut the rest out...I won't love not seeing Marvel movies, but I didn't watch Pixar movies for decades; don't watch TV outside of Netflix and HBO; getting rid of Disney won't be that hard for me; and I have 0 issue doing this with other corporations, I'm not sure why anyone thinks Disney will be a challenge. Ask me about the last time I went to Walmart for instance.

If Lasseter were younger, I could possibly see him being a consultant that worked from home, only had 1 or 2 points of contact, and showed up occasionally for large meetings. However, he is probably getting closer to when he would retire anyway. They should just rip off the bandaid and figure out how to do it without him. I do agree somewhat with the article from Fast Company that maybe there is a middle ground. I don't know if now is the time for the middle ground yet. With this first wave of scandals, maybe all heads should be put on pikes. Later, it will be easier to be less shocked and emotional about new accusations, because they will hopefully be fewer and less severe. But right now, strong examples need to made. Some of the dufuses probably didn't realize that what they were doing was wrong. I find it hard to believe, but I am not a pig, so it's hard for me to empathize with one or understand how their minds work. If I get a bad meal and the restaurant corrects the situation to my satisfaction, then I won't keep them off my list forever. Not saying that what he did is as innocuous as a bad meal. However, I suspect no one ever told him that this behavior was unacceptable. You would think he would get this, but apparently, not enough people are getting it. As a society, we, generally speaking and unfortunately, including myself, have been allowing this behavior by not being consistently and loudly vociferous about it. We aren't allowing it anymore though. If Disney can come up with a that keeps Lasseter from having much, if any, interaction with others, then maybe it's ok. I wouldn't risk it though if I were Disney. Just cut the cord and move along.

I wouldn't block Disney from my life for allowing him to return, but I probably would be very disappointed. I don't have many companies that I boycott anyway. I do avoid Walmart, but that's pretty easy if you live in a big city with a lot of other options. My mom doesn't have many options where she lives, and she hates Walmart. Seaworld, and some other animal/marine keepers/zoos, are other places I avoid. Not because of Blackfish. I have been opposed to these places since I went to one as a child. I am not very strict about that though, because we do the safari at Animal Kingdom and visit some of the animals. However, I have spoken with a co-worker whose fiance has been a vet at AK and feel comfortable about the way they are treating the animals. We have also been to some select zoos. Boycotting Disney wouldn't be worth it for me personally. I garner too much joy from their products and wouldn't feel like I was making any impact by boycotting them. However, each person is free in this country to patron or avoid whomever they want for whatever reasons they want. I wouldn't tell someone else what they should or should not do.

I also think if you boycotted every large company that had an executive behave in a predatory way towards women, you would truly have to boycott EVERY large company. Even with #METOO I think we are just hearing about maybe 10% of the problem as opposed when we used to hear about 0.1% of the problem. You notice that almost all the ones where word as gotten public are entertainment companies - and zero from any other companies. Because these companies have such a large public component its been pushed forward. I guarantee its happening elsewhere and still not getting to the public.

Disney has to worry about Lasseter's damaged reputation rubbing off on his cartoon characters. People are now going to look at Buzz, Woody and Lightning McQueen as having questionable turpitude. You've got to wonder if the cartoon characters also had substance abuse problems.
Unless this issue ends up with a lot more publicity, that's not going to happen. And as much as I hate to say it, the Reuben Foster situation with the NFL and the 49ers is going to cause people who don't believe in this stuff to entrench in their opinions even more. The momentum #MeToo has created is going to splutter quickly among the people that are sitting in the middle if situations like that get publicized too often. And that is a huge shame.

Regardless, if you ask 100 people in a Pixar movie screening about John Lasseter, how many can tell you who he is, let alone about this situation? 5 out of 100? Maybe.

I also think if you boycotted every large company that had an executive behave in a predatory way towards women, you would truly have to boycott EVERY large company. Even with #METOO I think we are just hearing about maybe 10% of the problem as opposed when we used to hear about 0.1% of the problem. You notice that almost all the ones where word as gotten public are entertainment companies - and zero from any other companies. Because these companies have such a large public component its been pushed forward. I guarantee its happening elsewhere and still not getting to the public.

I 100% agree - but at the same time - it is different if it comes out publicly that this is happening at a given company and this company actively chooses to bring that individual back (in this case) or does nothing about it, etc. - vs it not being in the public/not known

I would def. agree with the sentiment that Disney is a large company, hard to boycott it all if you're interested in various things they are a part of since they own a lot more than many people are aware of.

However, I do sorta disagree with your comment regarding boycotting every large company. It would be completely unfair to boycott a company without knowing what they did that makes you want to boycott them. Doesn't mean companies shouldn't be held accountable depending on their actions but I'm not going to think about boycotting company X just because they are a large company so surely they are doing something I find morally, ethically and possibly criminally wrong. I also think a good number of people don't necesarily boycott something but rather just actively avoid it.

I bet we are only hearing about a small percentage of it too. Also, what about when it's not a high up executive but a smaller level boss. We have a friend who was harassed by her boss. She confronted him and told HR. Luckily, he admitted to it and apologized. They moved her under a different boss. Unfortunately, her new boss was buddies with her old boss and took it out on her. He basically made her life so miserable that she felt forced out of the company. Being in a male dominant profession, engineering, I don't think women always feel like they have someone who understands. I am often the only woman in my group, and there are not always very many women higher ups. Typically, I have found HR to be more of a resistance than a resource. I suspect since entertainment has more women in the industry, just maybe not always in high positions, that other women feel like they have like-minded people to discuss these matters and a bit more critical mass. Maybe that's why entertainment companies are the first to be public. I think recent years the public may have started to realize that we aren't as far in gender, racial, and sexual preference equality as we would have liked. We have improved in these areas, but there's still the quiet, slimy corners where bad things happen and the light doesn't shine.

Typically, I have found HR to be more of a resistance than a resource.
HR is not there to help or protect employees. It's there to protect the CEO from the employees. You can be sure in this case HR is doing their best to make sure that Bob Iger is held blameless in this matter concerning Lasseter.

HR is not there to help or protect employees. It's there to protect the CEO from the employees. You can be sure in this case HR is doing their best to make sure that Bob Iger is held blameless in this matter concerning Lasseter.

I always view it a bit broader as CYA for the company to help prevent future law suits - but protecting the CEO is part of that (assuming he isn’t part of the issue - the board is still above the CEO)

I always view it a bit broader as CYA for the company to help prevent future law suits - but protecting the CEO is part of that (assuming he isn’t part of the issue - the board is still above the CEO)
I agree with this. It's really all about avoiding lawsuits and also any fines and the like from governing bodies. The employees usually come last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts