Last Chance for a Summer Vacation Experience- August 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Ok confession I did a couple of quizzes the first one said I was ....

Queen Elsa (You share quite the personality with the ice queen! Most of the time, you are seen as a introverted person and would rather be alone in a state of solitude than in a crowded room. You usually keep your thoughts and emotions to yourself, although there are times when you just want to shout your feelings into the void. You are not exactly the sociable type, even though people take a liking to you. You find yourself sometimes worrying about what others may think of you, but yet you still choose to make your own decisions based on what you deem to be right. ) It seemed somewhat right but I thought I tend to let my thoughts and emotions out a bit more than that description - so I tried another one, this time I was ...

Aladin (You’re street-smart with lots of heart. Dare we call you a diamond in the rough?) .... I think this describes me pretty well haha

I probably wouldn't have picked either of these ..... I don't know, these days I feel like Winnie the Pooh who can't stop eating Honey and can't fit through the hole!

I might as well report in for a disappointing 0% - it has not been a good month for me.

When I did a quiz I got Belle. I wouldn't have picked her myself but after thinking about it she is probably a good pick. We both grew up feeling like we didn't fit in. She isn't afraid to be different, I am very much like that and I also like to research and read.

Today has been a better day. I am so glad it is Friday and I get the next 2 days with the family at home :) Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I just wanted to share that I have just spent some time getting next months thread started ... it is starting to come together quite well I think. I will post it in the next few days closer to the end of the month so that we can all keep focused with Donac and the great job she is doing this month....

Good Friday Morning everyone

Dh and I have been Star War fans from the beginning. Both sons love these movies.

Which Disney character reminds you the most of yourself and why?

Have a happy and healthy day

Great question Dona! My DS leaves for college TOMORROW and I was searching my brain for something sweet and touching and meaningful we could do today (especially since we have limited time since we aren't done packing).... we are going to watch TS3!!!!!!!!!!! Those have forever-and-always been his favorite go-to Disney movies..... I cannot begin to imagine how many times we watched the original and TS2 when he was little. He had a Buzz Lightyear themed room for about 10 years and even when we repainted it in his teen years, he didn't let me paint over the Buzz mural/stencil.... we just hung a Dr. Who poster over it!

Anyhow, I am rambling. I think I would need to take the quiz that others here took to give you a TRUE answer. I related to what many other said..... I am a loner, like Elsa. I am a reader who wants adventures and doesn't feel that they always fit in, like Belle. I like to eat, like Pooh. I am loyal to my family/owner, like Woody. I would go ANYWHERE to help/protect my kiddos, like Marlin. I am SUPER forgetful these days, like Dory. I can be TOTALLY sarcastic, like Megara. I am old-school and classic, like Mickey.

Okay.... I took the quiz and

You got: Miss Bianca
You’re a person willing to go a long way to help somebody. You may be a little vain at times, but you’re definitely not a wimp.

Not sure I agree with this, but Buzzfeed quizzes don't lie, right?? :thumbsup2

Okay.... I took a SECOND Buzzfeed quiz (clearly I need to get on with my day!) and ....

You got: Pluto
You’re a loyal friend and everyone’s best buddy! Continue to be the amazing friend that you are, because people trust you. Woof!

Hey friends.... Good Saturday morning! Sorry AGAIN that I was only hit-or-miss on here this week. It may continue to be that way through mid-September, but NEVER FEAR.... I will return to full-time here once life slows down just a bit!

Today's weigh-in was pretty much right in line with last Friday.... so no loss, but I'll take a maintain at this point in time. No food-related reason to NOT lose, but between some stress and the heat and being too busy for intentional exercise (although believe me, I feel like I've barely stopped moving for 2 weeks), I'm sure my body is holding onto stuff. I am just an insane 12 days away from leaving for California and 16 days until I walk through the gates at Disneyland. Wish I had more time right now to get more excited and do some of my crazy obsessive planning and packing, but that will wait until next week. Stupidly, DD and I have both been just too busy to even have an extended conversation about it! We bought the Kindle edition of the Birnbaum's guide (not because we need it.... more because it is a family tradition) and haven't even made it past page 5!

Anyhow..... I probably won't have a spare minute to pop on again until mid-week next week, so be good! And if you can't be good, be careful! ..............P

Great question Dona! My DS leaves for college TOMORROW and I was searching my brain for something sweet and touching and meaningful we could do today (especially since we have limited time since we aren't done packing).... we are going to watch TS3!!!!!!!!!!! Those have forever-and-always been his favorite go-to Disney movies..... I cannot begin to imagine how many times we watched the original and TS2 when he was little. He had a Buzz Lightyear themed room for about 10 years and even when we repainted it in his teen years, he didn't let me paint over the Buzz mural/stencil.... we just hung a Dr. Who poster over it!

Anyhow, I am rambling. I think I would need to take the quiz that others here took to give you a TRUE answer. I related to what many other said..... I am a loner, like Elsa. I am a reader who wants adventures and doesn't feel that they always fit in, like Belle. I like to eat, like Pooh. I am loyal to my family/owner, like Woody. I would go ANYWHERE to help/protect my kiddos, like Marlin. I am SUPER forgetful these days, like Dory. I can be TOTALLY sarcastic, like Megara. I am old-school and classic, like Mickey.

Okay.... I took the quiz and

You got: Miss Bianca
You’re a person willing to go a long way to help somebody. You may be a little vain at times, but you’re definitely not a wimp.

Not sure I agree with this, but Buzzfeed quizzes don't lie, right?? :thumbsup2

Okay.... I took a SECOND Buzzfeed quiz (clearly I need to get on with my day!) and ....

You got: Pluto
You’re a loyal friend and everyone’s best buddy! Continue to be the amazing friend that you are, because people trust you. Woof!

Hey friends.... Good Saturday morning! Sorry AGAIN that I was only hit-or-miss on here this week. It may continue to be that way through mid-September, but NEVER FEAR.... I will return to full-time here once life slows down just a bit!

Today's weigh-in was pretty much right in line with last Friday.... so no loss, but I'll take a maintain at this point in time. No food-related reason to NOT lose, but between some stress and the heat and being too busy for intentional exercise (although believe me, I feel like I've barely stopped moving for 2 weeks), I'm sure my body is holding onto stuff. I am just an insane 12 days away from leaving for California and 16 days until I walk through the gates at Disneyland. Wish I had more time right now to get more excited and do some of my crazy obsessive planning and packing, but that will wait until next week. Stupidly, DD and I have both been just too busy to even have an extended conversation about it! We bought the Kindle edition of the Birnbaum's guide (not because we need it.... more because it is a family tradition) and haven't even made it past page 5!

Anyhow..... I probably won't have a spare minute to pop on again until mid-week next week, so be good! And if you can't be good, be careful! ..............P

I have been thinking about you since a friend also dropped her son off at college on Thursday. It will be different with the house empty but you have a great trip planned to think about. I understand about buying the books. Dh buys a new one for every trip we take. DS2 even gave us ones for DL Paris and Tokyo which I don't think we will ever go. My niece though may be going to Japan with her husband on business so I gave her the Tokyo book

Make sure you have tissues for TS3. It is only the last 5 minutes but you will need them

Good luck tomorrow.

Good Saturday Morning everyone

The last weekend of the summer here at the Jersey Shore.

I thought I would take you to one of my favorite pools at DW

It is at Port Orleans French Quarter.
P1030324 (640x480).jpg

There are alligators all over the place and most are playing dixieland.

The highlight of the pool is the serpent slide
P1030322 (640x480).jpg

You go up the tail but come out of his mouth.It is very tame but a lot of fun.

What are your plans for this weekend?

Have a happy and healthy day.

Well.... as I mentioned earlier....my plan is to finish packing up DS and cry...a lot. I started crying a few days ago over something that came onto my Facebook feed and now I can cry at the mention of his name!

Just popping on while I wait for DS to be ready to pack and now he is! Dona, thanks for your kind words. As the Mom of two boys, I know that you can feel my pain this weekend.....P

Those themed pools look like fun! Well I am already half way through Sunday.... but this weekend has been great, boring but great... we had a weekend off from hockey before the finals next weekend and DS15s usual shift for this morning got cancelled .... so this means I got 2 days of lazy sleep ins, and more time to catch up on housework and did some paperwork for work as well. I just finished mopping the floor before jumping on here to say hi.

Well.... as I mentioned earlier....my plan is to finish packing up DS and cry...a lot. I started crying a few days ago over something that came onto my Facebook feed and now I can cry at the mention of his name!

:grouphug:

I thought I would take you to one of my favorite pools at DW

It is at Port Orleans French Quarter.
View attachment 190182

There are alligators all over the place and most are playing dixieland.

The highlight of the pool is the serpent slide
View attachment 190183

You go up the tail but come out of his mouth.It is very tame but a lot of fun.

This morning I tried to run 3 miles but I ended up running 1.5 miles and then walking one more because of my leg. Then we went to DD5's friends bday party. Afterwards I got fitted for new running shoes, I hope they help! Tomorrow I will be cleaning, finishing my costumes for the races and packing. Only 4 days until I leave for DL!!

Basically Saturday is over, but I've had a good weekend so far. Last night was the home opener for our high school football team. DH and I don't always go, but we went last night and ate at the fish fry fundraiser for a local group. I'm not a huge fried fish eater, so I didn't have a hard time just eating a small amount of it. We left in the middle of the 3rd quarter because our church hosts an event called 5th quarter for the kids to come over and just hang out for awhile after each home football game. I was in charge last night so we had to be there early. Our team ended up winning by 4 in the last minute, so it was an exciting game and the kids were all pumped when they arrived for the 5th quarter. We had pizza, chips, cookies, soda and waters for them. The good news is that is was so warm at the football game and I'm really not used to eating much fried food, so I was still full from supper and I wasn't even tempted by the snacks!

Tonight our plans really didn't work out though. DH, DS and I headed to St Louis to go see the movie Greater. We had narrowed it down to that or Pete's Dragon, but Greater was at a better time, so we chose it. We went out to eat and headed to the movie and it was sold out. So, we picked another movie and it was also sold out. We headed back to the car to regroup and decide what to do. We decided to head to one of the area malls and shop for awhile and go see Pete's Dragon at the late show. Well, we got there and found out that the mall closed 50 minutes before the show started. The movie Don't Breathe was showing at a decent time, but I decided DS was too young for it. It's rated R and sounds very intense. He likes somewhat scary movies (even more than I do probably), but I read about it on pluggedin.com and it sounded like something I'm not even somewhat comfortable taking him to.

So, we ended up heading home without seeing a movie at all. Oh well, things don't always work out and we still had a good dinner out, even if we had to drive an hour away for it lol!

Tomorrow there is a family from our church holding a boat regatta at their house. They have a big lake, so everyone could build a cardboard boat to try to race across the lake. We didn't build a boat - DS didn't want to try to take it across the lake and I sure wasn't going to - so we are just going to cheer the others on. They've held it for a few years now, but we've never been. i think it'll be fun as long as the rain holds off. Not sure what they do if it rains, but we might be finding out!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

Weekly check-in:

I was at 226 lbs at the beginning of the month. My goal for August to lose 11 lbs, but that was adjusted to 16 lbs after meeting my original goal last week. Last Sunday I was at 214.5 lbs. Today I weighed in at 209.5. I am 103% towards my new goal.

I can't really explain why the weight is coming off like it is. I wasn't able to run at all this week. I am pretty active throughout the day, but I wouldn't think to the point of losing 5 lbs in 7 days. The only thing I wonder is if stress can speed up weight loss because it was an extremely stressful week. Luckily, I haven't turned to food to deal with the stress.

I'm going to have to make a decision in the next few weeks about this half marathon in October. I haven't been training like I want to - just no time. Part of me wants to wait and do it in the Spring when I don't have football. The other part of me says it doesn't matter, run when I can and just do it. If I can't make it and have to walk, I walk. I don't know. I feel like if I pull out, I'm a quitter. At the same time, I don't want my first one to be less than what I know I'm capable of. I'm hoping the next few weeks will calm down and I'll be able to run more. I think I could be ready to run it with three weeks of solid prep.

Sorry for the rambling.

We won our football game Friday night 48-0. We started off a little rusty, but we eventually figured it out. We play a team this week that we haven't beaten in 6 years and it's on TV, so the stress won't be leaving anytime soon!

Hope everyone has a good week.

Good Monday Morning everyone.

This month to me has all about sharing memories about DW and relating it to our journey together.

Today is about pictures.

There are certain place we always take pictures at.
One is the troll in Norway
P1000790 (640x480).jpg

My son's have had a similar picture to this since they were little.
Ds1 recently sent one to my phone just like this with his new wife.

P1010414 (640x480).jpg
When we stayed at Bay Lake towers this sculpture in the back by the water. My sister and her family always take a picture here so we were included in the photo shoot.

I have usually hated having my picture taken but a lot of times I am the one with the camera.
I have been trying to change that. My sons need memories of me after I am gone so I am trying to get in front of the camera a little bit more often.

How about yo?

Is there a place in DW you always take a picture?

Are you being left out because you are the one with the camera?
Think about have a picture taken soon.

How about yo?

Well I haven't been to WDW and don't get to DL often enough to say we have a place we always take a picture lol - but when/if we come back it will probably be in front of the Castle.

I am the chief photographer - that's what happens in a one parent family. I also have spent years hiding from the camera - but am learning to focus on other things in the photo than my unwanted weight so that I can get into some photos with the kids - for the same reasons as you Dona. When we were at DL we made really good use of the Photopass Plus so that we could have photos with all of us in - and I will say there were some wonderful people who would notice me taking a photo of the kids and just come and offer to take a photo of all of us! One young girl probably in her late teens/early 20s did it and she said to me - "I grew up with a single mum and I know that we always had this problem so I know how hard it was for her to get photos of us". I was so touched she offered to snap a couple of photos.

The past few trips we have taken the kid's picture in front of the castle, but that's about it. My kids are 11 and 6, so the last thing they want to do at DW is stop and get their pictures taken, but we try and get some here and there. The one thing we have to do each trip is ride it's a small world - it's the one ride I know I've ridden every trip since I was a kid. These days, I'm usually I'm in back of the boat looking at pics on my phone during the ride, but it still makes me feel 10 again.

I don't think I necessarily avoided pictures when I weighed more, but I am more open to taking pics more now. Part of that is seeing my kids grow up to quick and wanting to grab as many memories as I can. I think that might be more of a mid-life crisis thing going on than anything else, but I'm sure my weight loss has something to do with wanting more pics too.

This month to me has all about sharing memories about DW and relating it to our journey together.

Today is about pictures.

View attachment 190574

View attachment 190575
When we stayed at Bay Lake towers this sculpture in the back by the water. My sister and her family always take a picture here so we were included in the photo shoot.

I have usually hated having my picture taken but a lot of times I am the one with the camera.
I have been trying to change that. My sons need memories of me after I am gone so I am trying to get in front of the camera a little bit more often.

How about yo?

I make my husband and kids stop and take a picture where ever there is a Photo Pass person. Since we started to get memory maker we don't take many ourselves. They get mad but they are the best pictures and we are all in them.

Well this weekend did not go as planned. Friday night we were at an event at the school and at the end while we were helping to clean up my son and daughter somehow were walking to close to each other and my son turned and his elbow hit my daughters pinky finger. They immediately started fighting so I yelled at them. My daughter was trying to tell me he hit her finger but I ignored it. After we go home I looked at it. She couldn't move it and it was swollen. Gave her some ice and sent her to bed. Saturday morning there was no change. I spent 2.5 hours in the urgicare in a small room (the whole time) with a 9 year old. It felt like torture. We finally got the x-rays. They didn't show a break or dislocation but with the way she is holding her finger they think it is a possible break in the growth plate and a possible slight dislocation. Unfortunately, I can't get her in until tomorrow morning and it is about an hour away. I could have waited another day or so to go somewhere closer but I just wanted to get her in as soon as possible. I really need to wrap this girl in bubble wrap. She broke her ankle in December (all she was step on a trampoline) and we just finished up PT or it in July.

It was a crazy Saturday to start with and this just made it a little crazier. My husbands grandmother is finally going to sell her house and move to a safer neighborhood and a smaller place. She has lived in this house for over 50 years. She had a realtor out Saturday morning. This was at the same time I was at the urgicare and my son was supposed to be at karate. So he was with her while I was at the urgicare. We both got home at the same time. We had enough time to eat really quick (Berger King) and run out the door again. My daughter had vision therapy and I was getting my hair done. I was so excited to get my hair done. It is now 3 different colors. Blonde highlights with red violet highlights and then my natural dark brown/black hair color. This is very outside the box for me but I wanted something different. It came out great and I love it. The rest of the afternoon was quiet thankfully.

Sunday we got cleaning and grocery shopping done. My son also had a friend over for awhile. While he was over my daughter and I made cookies. I don't make them often because I eat most of the dough before I have a chance to cook it. I did eat some but no where near what I normally do. I was holding myself back.

Ok I am done rambling. Hope everyone has a Monday great day.

First the weekend... I spent both days in dyeing classes, outside at a farm. It was lovely and fantastic. Saturday was using foraged plants and a couple extracts that aren't local so she brought them with her. Sunday was all about Indigo. The other students were women of all ages and just one guy. Such and interesting and inspirational group. One gal has a local flock of 30 sheep and I talked to her about doing some volunteer farm work... Woohoo I'm finally going to meet some sheep! I tried uploading a pic of one of my Shibori Indigo pieces, but got the file too big error again. I'm really happy with both the fabrics I dyed in Indigo. And I have about twelve 60 yard samples of yarn we dyed, so I'm going to have to teach myself color work to use them up.

Today is about pictures.

View attachment 190574

View attachment 190575

How about yo?

I don't have many WDW pictures of myself over the years as I'm usually on my own and behind the camera. But the past few years I have gotten a picture with a charector, just to prove I was really there :).

There are some pictures I seem to take every trip. I have several of Harper's Mill... Might not seem like an obvious choice but it's so photogenic. And I like to take pictures of Spaceship Earth from interesting angles. I also like to take close up pictures of merchandise, like the troll dolls that used to be for sale in Norway. One of my favorites is a close up of a stuffed Thumper with a crazed look in its eyes which I captioned "never doing Space Mountain again."

Weight is slowly coming down but I'm still slightly higher than a week ago. I'm getting there though.

I'm going to have to go to the Dark Side for this one, as our traditional MUST take, even if it means going out of our way, photo is in Toon Town at Universal's Islands of Adventure. I've got my daughter from about 7 on up to 18 hanging on to Marmaduke for dear life (and even a few of myself!) For anyone who has never been or never noticed this photo op, Marmaduke is actually running UP and the leash is dangling down so you're posing at a standing position and it appears as if he's taken off with you. I love it. As for Disney, definitely have to been the Singing in the Rain bronze umbrella located across the way from Lights Camera Action (I believe that's shut down at the moment) in Hollywoof Studios. If you pose and press the metal pad on the street it will spritz water over the umbrella (when it's on!)

Looks like I've made my goal for this month! I started at 199.0 and am currently at 192.8! I'm doing this in conjunction with working with my SILs fitness instructor and also over at MFP app where they are doing a Hogwarts Challenge through to the time we actually GO to Hogwarts in October - WOOT!!! Hope to lose lots more in September!!!

We don't have a picture that we take every time we go. It's a downside to be an AP holder. I have the mentality that I'll get it next time and then time goes by and I realize I never got the picture I wanted.

And I am hardly ever in pictures. It is 100% because I hate the way I look. I'm starting to loosen up now that the weight it coming off. @donac you have a great point about being in the pictures so your kids can have them later. It really made me think about my kids not having pictures of me.

@piglet1979 I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's finger!

@Zim I love the Marmaduke pic :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!