Last Chance for a Summer Vacation Experience- August 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Good Tuesday Morning everyone

We are at the end of the month so please let us know how you did with your goals this month.

Many people feel that for you to have a successful dieting experience you need to change little things.

Disney World is a great place to look for the little things.

Little things like the quietness of Tom Sawyer's island
P1000334 (640x640).jpg

Or the great things to look at while you are waiting in line like the Haunted Mansion
P1000329 (640x425).jpg

Or even a tribute to the past such as the Mr. Toad tribute in the Haunted Mansion pet cemetery
P1010041 (640x480).jpg

What is the one small thing you could do for yourself today?

We are at the end of the month so please let us know how you did with your goals this month.

Many people feel that for you to have a successful dieting experience you need to change little things.

View attachment 190854

Or the great things to look at while you are waiting in line like the Haunted Mansion
View attachment 190855

Or even a tribute to the past such as the Mr. Toad tribute in the Haunted Mansion pet cemetery
View attachment 190856

I think for me today is just take time for me. It has been a rough morning. My daughter woke up last night from rolling over on her had with the hurt finger. Then she climbed in bed with me after my husband left for work. It took us an hour and 15 minutes to get to the doctors office. The traffic was horrible. It is straight highway but we were only going a max of like 10 mph. The orthopedic can't tell if it is broke but put her in a cast as a precaution and for protection. Then she throw a tantrum the whole way home because I said she had to go to school. Thankfully there was no traffic and only took about 40 minutes. After she ate lunch she was doing much better and didn't fight then to go to school. I am now at work with a headache. I am sure it is just from the congestion I have. Either I am getting a cold or it is allergies. Hopefully it goes away soon. I think after dinner I am going to take a walk by myself just to have me time. It is something small but can help when I get frustrated like I was earlier today.

View attachment 190854

View attachment 190855

View attachment 190856

This morning I was back down to where I was a couple weeks ago, so I'm counting that as a win, even tho it's a 0% success rate against my goal for the month. I feel like I've stopped adding weight and am currently in pause mode. Next is to reverse the flow and start taking weight off again.

I love all the little things at WDW. For many years I didn't even take my camera because I didn't want looking thru a lense to interrupt my experience. But now I find that I look at things in much more detail, to see if I might want to snap a pic. One trip I did a Where am Eye challenge and posted pictures of eyes everyday, like from carvings, pictures or statues, and it really got me to studying what was around me.

What's one small thing I can do for myself today? Oddly enough, it's to clean house when I get home. I want to set my craft room up for sewing, which means putting up a cutting table. A lot of stuff has to be cleared out and moved around. It's time for fall cleaning anyway.

View attachment 190854

View attachment 190855

View attachment 190856

I am at 66% of my goal this month. I am a little disappointed but with hurting my leg and only being able to get in half my runs I guess it wasn't too bad.

The thing I did for myself today was to pack for my upcoming trip! I leave on Thursday as long as no tropical storms get in the way.

@donac thanks for hosting this month, I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your family!!

Quick check in (out???). Finished the month at 60%. It's the slowest month for sure, reflective of the fact I have so much less to loose

I decided on behavior goals going forward. Also adjusted the mental number I had in mind for my Orlando holiday. Its most important for me not to burn myself out and to continue with long term success in mind

Reporting in - 0% - I have to say I think this has been the most disappointing month since January - I got unwell, fell off the exercise wagon because of that, then the food followed and this week my anxiety has been acting up a bit. Work is super busy and I am feeling overwhelmed and pressured with all the kids to see.

One small I did tonight was to hang with the kids watching Thor - The Dark World - DD had not seen any of the Thor movies even though she liked Chris Hemsworth from Ghostbusters ... so this week we have been having a Thor/Avengers marathon after our fun at the Thor location shoot last week.

A GREAT BIG :thanks: to you Dona for hosting this month :-)

I can't believe its almost September!!!!!

Good Morning! I am checking in at maybe around 25%. I feel off the wagon around the time school started and just never got back to doing my walks and squats. I am very disappointed that I let it slip so bad. I am hoping to do better in September. We still have a lot going on with appointments for my daughter but I should be able to work around them.

I didn't go for the walk last night like i wanted to. I was just so tired. I sat on the couch while my husband was finishing dinner and I feel asleep so fast in just the few minutes I had. I decided to make it an early bed time. I still didn't get to bed until 10:30 though. My husband was out walking and I don't like to be in the back of the house when he is not home.

I'm also reporting for the month end. I weighed today, and I'm only down 1 pound from the beginning of the month, so 12% of my 8 pound goal.

In a way, I'm surprised it's not worse than that becuase I really wasn't into it this month. I'm hoping I can turn the page for next month.

Thank you @donac for your great job hosting! It's been fun seeing Disney World!

@donac Thank you very much for hosting August!! I was not very active, but loved lurking and loved going on a little bit of vacation to WDW thanks to your pictures.

I am also reporting in at 0%. The good thing is, it is nearly a real 0%, not a minus something... So, I maintained during a month that was difficult for me due to a number of reasons. September will be easier again and I should get back into a running routine. So, hopefully I can make the new month count!

Good Wednesday Morning everyone

Welcome to the last day of August.

Just a few last pictures to close out the month.

I really love Main Street Electrical Parade but when I have stayed at BLT, Poly or FW
this is the night show that I love to watch.

The Water Pagent
It is played nightly on the waters in front of the MK, Poly, GF, WL and FW

P1000864 (640x425).jpg

P1000866 (640x425).jpg

And always the end just like MSEP is a salute to the USA
P1000868 (640x425).jpg

It is only like 5 minutes long but so much fun to watch and listen to

Question of the Day
What have you learned about yourself this month and how will it help you going forward?

It has been fun hosting you this month.

See you on the Sept thread

Have a happy and healthy day

Good Monday Morning everyone.

I have usually hated having my picture taken but a lot of times I am the one with the camera.
I have been trying to change that. My sons need memories of me after I am gone so I am trying to get in front of the camera a little bit more often.

How about yo?

Is there a place in DW you always take a picture?

Are you being left out because you are the one with the camera?
Think about have a picture taken soon.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Well.... I got into the pictures during our first few trips, but hated the way I looked in them. I was always strategically putting a kid in front of me or hiding behind a sign or in a big jacket/sweatshirt or taking the photos from bustline up only. Then I got smart and lost weight for the trips (didn't get to goal, but DEFINITELY felt better about myself and about the pictures). I actually made sure that I was in more pictures!

We started buying Photopass in 2008 and that is a WONDERFUL thing! I've got lots of GREAT photos of the kids and I during our mother/child trips! As the MasterCard ads used to say... "PRICELESS!"

We don't really have a traditional "must" photo op. We did have a few minor traditions (including taking DD's photos in Minnie's chair in ToonTown which doesn't exist any longer), but that's it. In fact, DD and I wanted to recreate a photos of the two of us during our upcoming DL trip, but when I looked through the scrapbook, I didn't have a single photo of JUST her and I from our 2005 trip. They all either include DS and/or DH. Oh well.

All of that being said.... being happy with my weight DEFINITELY makes me HAPPY to be in photos!!

First the weekend... I spent both days in dyeing classes, outside at a farm. It was lovely and fantastic. Saturday was using foraged plants and a couple extracts that aren't local so she brought them with her. Sunday was all about Indigo. The other students were women of all ages and just one guy. Such and interesting and inspirational group. One gal has a local flock of 30 sheep and I talked to her about doing some volunteer farm work... Woohoo I'm finally going to meet some sheep! I tried uploading a pic of one of my Shibori Indigo pieces, but got the file too big error again. I'm really happy with both the fabrics I dyed in Indigo. And I have about twelve 60 yard samples of yarn we dyed, so I'm going to have to teach myself color work to use them up.

I saw them on Instagram!! I love those fabrics!! Can't wait to see what you make with them!

Today is, to some degree ALL about me! This is the FIRST day I've had off without some sort of plan that involves helping others move/pack/clean, etc since my vacation in early August and the first work-day off without a need/plan/appointment/funeral, etc in ages!! I am feeling a bit paralyzed with all of the possibilities, but will try to complete the "necessities" this morning and move onto the errands this afternoon. I do have a 24/7 chat shift tonight, but that will be short and easy and I can usually prep and/or eat dinner while working.

I'm going to grab a few extra grocery items while I'm out and prep a few BIG batches of food for the freezer..... some will be for DH to use while I'm in California and some will be to make some of my upcoming busy days a bit easier!

Question of the Day
What have you learned about yourself this month and how will it help you going forward?

First of all, THANK YOU DONA!! It was a busy month for you but you kept us talking and on track!! And your photos have been great! And congrats again on becoming an MOTHER-IN-LAW!!

I have learned that even when the weight isn't coming down, that I WON'T get (too) discouraged or give up. Even staying within a healthy 10 pound range is better than giving up and becoming obese again. Also, that I am an example to others even when I don't realize it..... so being a GOOD example is important!

Good Wednesday morning my friends!! WOWZA.... August is OVER! Unbelievable! Talk about summer being gone in a FLASH!! YIKES! I'm actually sad about that. I LOVE summer (always have, but it has intensified since I work at a public school) and honestly, other than July 4th and our lake vacation, I haven't seen hide nor hair of it! With my day job being pretty exhausting, plus working early morning and evenings online, plus my WW meeting job, I haven't had the time or energy to even go for a good hike or even a day to sit out on the deck with a drink and a good book. I know, I know.... whiney. But I'm praying that this beautiful summer weather holds through September and I will have a bit of a summer "do-over" during the upcoming month, starting with a long Labor day weekend and then my trip to CALIFORNIA! I know I keep talking about it, but DANG, I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

I did take a minute to read back through the last few pages and I see that everyone is reporting their progress for the month. I am going to hold off until Friday, as that is my normal weigh-in day. Eating has been a bit difficult for the past 4 days with so much going on and I've definitely eaten more carbs than usual (see how I'm making excuses already???), but all considered, I've done well other than a splurge on Saturday night. Red Robin (DS's choice :rolleyes: ) on Saturday night.... grilled chicken breast with a "light" roll which I only ate half of plus a big serving of sweet potato fries (the splurge) and a seltzer...... Applebee's Sunday lunch (after moving him into dorm) consisted of 6 ounce sirloin with steamed broccoli and grilled veggies and a seltzer, Monday lunch at Panera, bowl of vegetable soup with pesto, half serving of baguette and half an apple, plus water.... and Monday dinner at Chipotle, salad bowl with brown rice, pinto beans, extra fajita veggies and guacamole plus water.... and a late night lowfat vanilla soft-serve cone. So while it could have been MUCH worse and my other meals (at home) were spot-on and I've stayed within my daily SP target, I think the added fat, sodium, and carbs may make this weigh-in not great. Oh well.

Took some time for myself this morning, slept in a bit (until 6:50 am!!), so time to get moving! TTYL..................P

Just a few last pictures to close out the month.

I really love Main Street Electrical Parade but when I have stayed at BLT, Poly or FW
this is the night show that I love to watch.

The Water Pagent
It is played nightly on the waters in front of the MK, Poly, GF, WL and FW

View attachment 191079

View attachment 191080

And always the end just like MSEP is a salute to the USA
View attachment 191081

It is only like 5 minutes long but so much fun to watch and listen to

Question of the Day

A lot of this month issues revolved around my emotions with my daughter. I was having a ton of mom guilt this month with her vision issues. I just want to fix it for her. I hate seeing her struggle. I also seem to play off of my daughters emotions too. She was having some anxiety about starting school and that made me have more anxiety then her about it. I am slowly learning to let go of things that are out of my control. I can only help her with her issues and be a "cheerleader" of sorts for her. I need to encourage her but avoid adding to her fears.

Pamela, thanks for the kind words.

It sounds like the move on Sunday went okay. I know how strange it it is to have no one around any more, especially when you were so involved with some of his school activities. Where did he end up going to school?

I would be excited for your trip also. I am not going until 2018 and I am still excited.

What have I learned about myself this month? I can never take my foot off the petal because I won't just coast, I'll start sliding back down the hill. As some others have mentioned, I need to focus on behavioral changes not just number goals.

I am back down to where I was a couple weeks ago but slightly higher than when the month started, do I'm a negative something %, but not sure exactly what.

I think my metabolism is working really well now. In addition to not zonking out I feel like I'm actually burning thru the food I eat and am actually getting to hungry between meals. This is a good thing and will help with the weight loss.

Thank you @donac for hosting a lovely month!

Final weigh-in:

I was at 209.5 lbs this morning which means I met my adjusted goal of 210 lbs. I haven't been happy with my exercise over the past few weeks and I don't really know how to change it unless someone is going to add minutes to my day.

August was a crazy month. I started off by adding 8 lbs on vacation and was able to lose it pretty quickly and then some. Happy with the final results, but still need to work and adjust the schedule for exercise.

This month I've earned I'm human and I can't do it all even though I wish I could. My goal will probably switch from weight loss goals to exercise goals... even though I'm still hoping to get under 200 in September. I feel like if I keep eating the way I have over the last 8 months and I get my exercise in, I'll hit the weight loss goal. I have to find time each week to get my heart rate going again. Time to make a plan and stick with it!

I'm back to 50% for the month. Which I guess is better than nothing? It wasn't a great month but that shouldn't be an excuse. I'm focused this week but the scale isn't showing it yet. I know if i keep at it that the next weeks will be better.

Though it wasn't one of my goals on this thread, I am proud that I met 100% of my running goals for the month so I will celebrate that victory today as I prepare for next month!

Pamela, thanks for the kind words.

It sounds like the move on Sunday went okay. I know how strange it it is to have no one around any more, especially when you were so involved with some of his school activities. Where did he end up going to school?

I would be excited for your trip also. I am not going until 2018 and I am still excited.

The move was just fine... his roommate seems like a nice low-key kind of kid.....I think they will be okay together. The moving in went quickly (we arrived shortly after 11 am for a 12noon move-in time and were one of the first ones there), but by the time we got him unpacked and determined that most of the closet organizers and baskets were NOT going to work in his setting (the room we saw during orientation had different furniture :headache:) and made a trip to Target to return some stuff and buy other stuff.. and then grab lunch.... and then wait for DH to run to Staples because DS needed a cable for his new printer.... well, needless to say we didn't leave there as early as expected.

Good-bye was super hard, as expected. I gave him a hug and a kiss, through the early tears, and then turned away to give him a minute to say good-bye to his girlfriend.... and he came up behind me and grabbed me and held me super hard..... that really got the water-works going. I think it was his way of saying everything he couldn't. Gosh...now I'm crying again just telling the story.

He isn't far from home at NHTI (New Hampshire Technical Institute) studying Robotics. He didn't get into his number one choice school (WPI), so he decided rather than spend a fortune attending his #2 choice (Rochester Institute of Technology), he'd spend 2 years at a community college working hard on his grades and saving money and will re-apply to attend WPI as a transfer student in two years...plus he will leave with an Associates degree!

Final weigh-in:

I was at 209.5 lbs this morning which means I met my adjusted goal of 210 lbs. I haven't been happy with my exercise over the past few weeks and I don't really know how to change it unless someone is going to add minutes to my day.

August was a crazy month. I started off by adding 8 lbs on vacation and was able to lose it pretty quickly and then some. Happy with the final results, but still need to work and adjust the schedule for exercise.

This month I've earned I'm human and I can't do it all even though I wish I could. My goal will probably switch from weight loss goals to exercise goals... even though I'm still hoping to get under 200 in September. I feel like if I keep eating the way I have over the last 8 months and I get my exercise in, I'll hit the weight loss goal. I have to find time each week to get my heart rate going again. Time to make a plan and stick with it!

When life was CRAZY for me like that and intentional work-out time was non-existent, I just tried to get steps in where/when I could.... pacing during recess duty, calf raises while waiting in line for groceries, even going up and down the stairs at home for the 2 minutes I am waiting for the tea water to boil. If I have to watch a training video for work online at home, I grab the dumbbells and do some bicep curls, etc. I built myself a step to do steps-ups in the living room while watching my favorite show(s). The only way I was ever able to find "extra minutes" in my day, was to set my alarm for 30 minutes earlier than usual..... it was really hard some days... especially in the cold and dark of winter... but it worked. I could throw in a load of laundry, do a 25 minute workout video, and then hit the shower and start my day.

You are out on the field with your team a lot I imagine.... instead of watching them do push-ups, join them for a few!

Hey all.... heading to the market now! TTYL...............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!