Last minute cruise -good idea?

KJTex

Mouseketeer
I am considering a cruise for the first time. The one I am looking at leaves in 60 days. Are there disadvantages to booking a cruise within 60 days? Is it better if I book something further out instead?

60 days seems like a long time. We have only done a few that were booked out over that with maybe 3 that were a year or more. Our shortest booking was a week out.

There is nothing wrong with planning ahead but for a cruise as long as you can get to the port with some clothes and your passport you will be fine.

I am considering a cruise for the first time. The one I am looking at leaves in 60 days. Are there disadvantages to booking a cruise within 60 days? Is it better if I book something further out instead?
We have generally booked cruises a year or so prior, but that is mostly to ensure we can get a decent airfare. Now that we can drive to the Florida ports (at least) we will be more likely to book those cruises closer to 60 days prior.

We booked our first Disney cruise (and 1st cruise ever), a 7-night sailing, just 2.5 weeks before sailing. Our kids were only 6 and 2. We got everything we wanted and had a blast! Our 2nd was booked about 60 days out. Again, no issues. Do it and enjoy!

We have booked as far out as 18 months before and the shortest was 8 days before.
Either way we have great time. 60 days is plenty of time to get things in order and enjoy it all.
If you can do it, do it!

Since you are a new cruiser, first timer, 60 days out would put you just behind other first time cruisers (75 days prior for booking adventures, spa, etc.). As others have stated all you need are some clothes, passport, and a credit card. Go for it !!!:sail:

While we book further out (furthest out 23 months), we have booked a cruise on Thursday night that departed on Sunday. Most of the time we book in the 6-8 months out.

Only detriment to booking on short notice, is the smaller selection of rooms, and sold out excursions, in my opinion.

Go for it! One advantage of a Disney cruise over WDW is there is no need to book it way in advance. We booked our first DCL cruise about a month out & loved it. We booked last December's cruise about 2 months out & it was awesome.

although we prefer to book further out, we have done a Christmas cruise with just a few weeks out (sometimes you just need a cruise, you know?).

The only real disadvantages are if you wanted to get reservations at Palo, Remy, Senses. Shore excursions rarely sell out since the tour companies will just add another bus.

To the OP, if you've got the time, a cruise fits in your budget, and you have the means to get there, I don't see any reason not to book it.

There is very little planning when it comes to a cruise. Do it!
I mean, yes and no, right? You still have to
- pack
- get to port
- figure out if you're doing excursions
- figure out if you're doing specialty restaurants/need to prebook activities on board

It's not a long list, but it's an important one. Then again, I like to plan. Not super-obsessive to the last detail plan, but I need to have at least a basic framework for everything.

Would also recommend reading articles that focus on the first time cruiser.

To the OP, if you've got the time, a cruise fits in your budget, and you have the means to get there, I don't see any reason not to book it.

I mean, yes and no, right? You still have to
- pack
- get to port
- figure out if you're doing excursions
- figure out if you're doing specialty restaurants/need to prebook activities on board

It's not a long list, but it's an important one. Then again, I like to plan. Not super-obsessive to the last detail plan, but I need to have at least a basic framework for everything.

Would also recommend reading articles that focus on the first time cruiser.

But you don't have to do any excursions or specialty restaurants and still have a truly wonderful vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter