last minute DC trip

allisophie

Mouseketeer
Help Dh decided to take a quick trip to DC with a tent trailer.. (towing it back for our friends who are movn out west.. long story.. just helpn them)

we will be visiting Gettysburg for a few nites, and he says to me":idea: Hey wanna make a quick stop to DC?" I'm :eek: :faint:

so any east coasters w advice is really needed.. I posted same question on the community board too:confused3

thanks for the help.. we will be in Gettysburg around june 24..

The KOA in gettysburg is ajacent to a battlefield, thought that was kind of neat. This is one trip i hope we can make this year. My dad is a Gettysburg nut, he says the best time of year to go there is September. So that is when we are going. We love DC too; glad my kids are history nuts!

The only help I can give you is this website for a campground near DC.http://www.cherryhillpark.com/ There is a daily shuttle that will take you to the downtown attractions so that you never have to drive. Have fun!

Cherryhill park is nice, we stayed last year around this time. One quick clarification though, the bus that comes to the park is park of the DC area Metro system snd will take you to the metro train station where you can catch the train into DC, the bus does not take you downtown and a separate fair must be paid for the train. In all it takes about 1 hour to get into DC, but well worth it because there is no where to park. You can purchase tickets at the park office, they do have one for unlimited use, if you will be changing trains alot during the day it is worth it. Check the maps and plan your day more or less to know if you will be using the train only to get to and from DC(don't buy the unlimited use card) or if you will be using the Metro trains to get around to different attractions(do get the unlimited card).

Susan,, that was the one I had chosen,that and KOA Capital location in MD
Donna, staying 2 nites at that Koa
Maggie, great info on the bus/metro stuff.. I kinda figured it would take some time to get into DC, how was sleeping at night since the location is right in the middle of the beltways?

This will be our first trip to DC,usually when we go "home to see the families in PA/NY" it's just PA/NY.. with the cousins all having jobs no one can take off to travel with us.
In 23 yrs hubby finally gets to see Gettysburg (always drive right on by :moped: :hyper:

Donna
We too heard October was a great time to visit..(PA family tells us this all the time) but we are booked for the Fort, IM NOT giving up The FoodnWine fest and MNSSHP :love:

Hopefully I can get a spot.. whish me luck :wizard:

Thanks again

Actually Cherryhill Park is just north of the beltway (and I do mean JUST) and is very quiet and peacefull, almost hard to believe that the interstate is right there. We didn't have any problems with noise, from traffic or other campers:) .

had plenty of openings'... when I asked her the price of fuel she told me it was 4.25! in some places.. :(
today it's 3.89 here.. no telling what it will be when we head east

Thanks, Maggie I will be sure to post when we get back..

again
thanks everyone for your quick replies

Trish

Susan,, that was the one I had chosen,that and KOA Capital location in MD
Donna, staying 2 nites at that Koa
Maggie, great info on the bus/metro stuff.. I kinda figured it would take some time to get into DC, how was sleeping at night since the location is right in the middle of the beltways?

This will be our first trip to DC,usually when we go "home to see the families in PA/NY" it's just PA/NY.. with the cousins all having jobs no one can take off to travel with us.
In 23 yrs hubby finally gets to see Gettysburg (always drive right on by :moped: :hyper:

Donna
We too heard October was a great time to visit..(PA family tells us this all the time) but we are booked for the Fort, IM NOT giving up The FoodnWine fest and MNSSHP :love:

Hopefully I can get a spot.. whish me luck :wizard:

Thanks again

OMG, no, do NOT give up the FORT and food and wine! i don't blame you one bit! Please report back how you liked that KOA, it looks nice in the pictures but i'd rather hear from someone who actually stayed there. Have a great trip!

We will be at the Fort 6/15 to 6/22. From there we will be going to Tybee Island and then to Cherryhill. Cherryhill from 6/26 to the 29th. Looking forward to bringing the kids into DC for a couple days before heading home.

we will be there the 25th ckn out the 28th, we will be in a pop up w the Blue Hemi from MO.. DH will not let me bring my halloween orange mickey lights.:confused3

nice to hear others are camping despite the crazy price of fuel...

We lived in Northern VA, just outside of DC for several years. The Metro is wonderful. It is clean and safe and usually full of business people and military personnel. I used to ride it alone with our daughter.

There is so much to do in DC and a lot of it is free. All of the Smithsonian Museums and the National Zoo are free. If you want to cut down on your walking, there is a tour-mobile bus that will take you around to the most popular sites, your ticket lets you get on and off as often and for as long as you want. http://www.tourmobile.com/

One thing my son and I did when we had two days to visit DC is to use a service called Tourmobile.

www.tourmobile.com

(Ooops, somebody just said that)

It is a set of buses that tours the DC museums and monuments in a circle. They have unlimited on and off and stop at all of the key places. They have a 2-day ticket that was well worth the money.

We started the 1st day by taking the Metro to Union Station and purchased our tickets there, then boarded the bus and worked our way through various museums and monuments and ended our day at Arlington Cemetary, then took the metro back out to our car.

The next day, we started our day at Arlington Cemetary and continued back to Union Station.

We were staying at the DC/Capitol KOA in one of their cabins. It was a nice KOA. We would take the car to one of the outlying metro parking stations and then use the metro for the ride in.

FYI, the unlimited Metro tourist pass referred to earlier doesn't allow you to board till just after 9am (after rush time).

We did have one minor problem with the Tourmobile the 2nd day. It was REALLY hot that day and it was a Friday, so the weekend crowds were coming in. We got off at a monument and looked around and took pictures, then got back to the tourmobile stop, and each bus that stopped was full and no one was getting off. They were staying on the bus to stay cooler and just listening to the spiel of the driver/guide. After 3 buses came by that way and many of us complained loudly, they finally added an empty bus to the route to cover the extra need.

Jennifer and Carol.

the tourmobile sounds like a done deal for us, my mom found out about senior rates for the metro..thanks to Fodors travel guide, she has already been on the phone w them about getting one:thumbsup2

We would also like to do the night time tour..

dd17 also requested a trip to the Ace of Cakes bakery Charm City..She has already loaded the info into the Garmin...:worship:

This trip will be no doubt a fast paced whilrwind... gee just like going to WDW

we leave in 10 days and I have to start packn...
thanks again everyone..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!