Last Minute Trip for My Sanity According to My Husband At Least - updated 10/17

tazdev3225

<font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t
The title says it all. This was, technically, a somewhat last minute trip although I do have an Annual Pass. And It was to preserve what little sanity I had left.

I went with a group of 21 people, more or less, last November. While we were there I upgraded my ticket to an Annual Pass hoping to head down in the spring. Then I found out that the tour to Scotland I had been on a couple of years ago was heading into England. It was going to make a stop at Hadrian's Wall. I couldn't pass that up. I put off Disney.

I planned a party for my mother's 80th Birthday. A SURPRISE party. My mother is IMPOSSIBLE to surprise. We were determined to do it this time. We as in my brothers, their wives, my dad and my aunt. I put Disney off again. No Flower and Garden this year sadly.

I also had my husband to worry about. He had 2 strokes in 2017 and has issues because of the strokes. Then there are the grandkids that I keep an eye on, meetings, outside commitments, older parents, etc. to consider. I said I just couldn't fit a trip in, Disney got about $300 from me for free. Jim said, "GO!!!" I resisted.

I got through the party for mom, barely. Until about noon the day of the party we still had no idea how to get her there. My dad came to the rescue. He came up with the perfect excuse - a memorial for her cousin, late on a saturday afternoon. Her cousin had passed away on her birthday sadly, but we knew she would be dressed nicely at least. I think we surprised her

Better my nephew flew home for one day to be there. She hadn't seen him for several years

We even managed a picture with all of her kids, minus 1 brother sadly he has issues, grandkids and great-grandkids and a few spouses

I was in a good mood but it didn't last. Stress came at me full force AGAIN! Mom and I were going to Scotland together because my dad has this insane notion that I will be kidnapped by marauding gangs. I don't know why they would want me but I went with mom or I didn't go. Never mind I have an ADULT grandchild, Dad has spoken. OK It was actually cheaper sharing a room. Only problem was mom was mad at me by the time we left for the trip. (It's been almost 4 months and I still don't know why and she is still mad!)

Scotland was fun but with mom it became a 4 Beer and 2 Whiskey trip, and I DO NOT drink!!! We argued over EVERYTHING!!! The 2 big ones and my favorites were 1) the window seat on the plane and the bus and 2) the fire.

I get car sick and I'm a little claustrophobic, I like the window seat. I also like to take pictures, around 3,500 this trip. Mom got mad, she wanted to take pics. It was an interesting conversation

Mom: Can I get the window seat, I want to take pictures with my new camera.

Me: Mom, it's a PHONE although I am impressed you got a smart phone. (My aunt made her upgrade.)

Mom: It's not a smart phone it's an I-Phone but it's a camera too.

Me: It's a SMART phone with a camera, it is not a camera.

Mom: I have a camera too, as she pulls out her little pocket camera and proceeds to look at a few pictures.

Me: Mom did you finally get a new memory card???

Mom: NO!!! I do NOT need one! (She has used the same 2 GB card for the last 15 years.)

Me: Tell me when you want me to move my head.

That was a highlight of the trip. She wound up taking less than 100 pictures.

She also complained that I took to many pictures of gargoyles and couldn't possibly enjoy the trip with a camera in my face.

Mom exploring a castle - NO phone or camera in hand

The other big argument came at night. She went to bed at 9 PM so I had to go to bed at 9 PM. She didn't want me waking her up. Not a huge issue I just read my Kindle every night, mom couldn't get hers to work so that was no fun and she always got the big bed. Anyhoo, one night I am laying in bed reading and all of a sudden there is a loud Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Mom: Would you turn OFF the TV.

Me: Mom, the TV is off.

Mom: Then turn off your alarm, I'm trying to sleep.

Me: Mom, my alarm goes Ding, Ding, Ding and does not make the whole room shake. Besides I don't need an alarm, you wake me up every morning at 6:30 AM.

I got out of bed and went into the hallway to see hotel personnel pounding on doors and people in various attire rushing out of their rooms. Yep we had a fire alarm and were being told LEAVE NOW!!! I grabbed my hoodie, phone and small bag (with my passport) as I shoved my shoes on my feet. My mom decided to get dressed! I told her we had no time for that.

MOM GOT DRESSED!!!!

She refused to leave until she was dressed properly. I told her to grab the key because I was out of there. I wasn't going to burn up waiting. They actually had police and fire crews arriving as we got outside.

Thankfully after standing outside in the wet Scottish night it was determined that someone had been smoking in their room. I was happy as my money was in the room, I forgot my wallet.

The trip was different. I did get at least one decent picture of us together, mom's smile was forced

The trip ended just as badly with my dad getting lost for over an hour trying to find the airport and then mom taking me to the river instead of my house. Not sure what she was thinking at that point.

I walked in the door and Jim said GO TO DISNEY!!! He knew I was stressed. I didn't argue.

I booked a preferred room at All Star Sports with QS dining. Flights were a little different as I now had almost enough miles each way but on different airlines. I booked American down and just paid to upgrade my seat - $30. Southwest home and had to buy 50 points so another $75 points but I bought more than I needed.

And who went on the trip? ME, MYSELF and I! Cast members get very confused when I answer like that.

Yep I went solo. I booked early August and went from October 1 to October 6. I meant to book til the 7th but it worked out OK.

So who am I you ask. I answer to many names: Mom, Grandmom, Sis, Lorrie and sometimes a few choice words that cannot be repeated.

I'm retired, or at least I am supposed to be retired. I do more now than when I was actually paid.

Favorite park: Animal Kingdom at the moment but it changes on my mood

Favorite ride: Cue the groans - It's a Small World. I rode the prototype for it at the '64 World's Fair in New York

Favorite Character: Chewbacca and Grumpy

So you can put a face to the name - here I am with Anna

This was my 23rd trip to Disney World and my 4th trip totally Solo.

So there is some background. Please join in and say Hi!

There is something so amazingly stress-relieving about getting some alone time to travel somewhere you love! Can't wait to read how the rest of your trip went!

There is something so amazingly stress-relieving about getting some alone time to travel somewhere you love! Can't wait to read how the rest of your trip went!

:welcome:Thanks for joining in. My husband knows me so well and knows I need that alone time. It really was needed. Working on getting pictures to load on Flickr and I will start the trip.

Joining in, wow lots of stress before your trip, I sure hope the Disney bubble helped you find some Zen!!

Joining in, wow lots of stress before your trip, I sure hope the Disney bubble helped you find some Zen!!
:welcome:Thanks for joining in. It had been more stressful than normal, that's for sure. I hope to get an update to start the trip tomorrow. Working on it now.

I'm here, Lorrie! :) Glad you're doing a TR.

I walked in the door and Jim said GO TO DISNEY!!! He knew I was stressed. I didn't argue.

No! Never, ever argue against a "Go, Honey!" trip!!

Yep I went solo.

Solo is great!!

Cue the groans - It's a Small World. I rode the prototype for it at the '64 World's Fair in New York

NO groans from this quarter! I love that ride and I can't believe you got to go on the original one in '64!! Nice!!

Following along! I love solo trips, as much as I love my husband, kids, parents, there is something so peaceful about doing something totally alone.

I'm here, Lorrie! :) Glad you're doing a TR.

:welcome: I debated doing a report since I don't usually get commented on but I do get read. Most of my friends have left the boards.

No! Never, ever argue against a "Go, Honey!" trip!!

I should remember that. He actually defended my traveling to Disney so often today at a meeting. He knows I love it there and come back relaxed.

Solo is great!!

I will not argue that. The people we were talking to today cannot understand why I love Solo trips.

NO groans from this quarter! I love that ride and I can't believe you got to go on the original one in '64!! Nice!!

I also rode Carousel of Progress. My mom won a trip to the World's Fair and took me.

Following along! I love solo trips, as much as I love my husband, kids, parents, there is something so peaceful about doing something totally alone.

:welcome: That was what I tried to explain to the people I was with today. I love my family and miss my grandkids like crazy but being able to do what I want, when I want and not have to worry about other people is so relaxing. If I want to take half an hour getting the perfect picture of something I don't worry that I am annoying people. My husband gets this and sends me away. Gotta love a man that understands you so well.

I had planned to update with the start of the trip today but 2 meetings at church and a full blown case of bronchitis has worn me out. As I said I am pulled in many directions on a regular basis. Have another full day tomorrow but hopefully I can squeeze at least the start of the trip in.

I swear if my life was a movie no one would believe it. A friend asked me to take her to her mechanics to pick up her car. We were going out to dinner afterwards. On the way my radio stopped working, then all the lights in my car went out and I was getting weird lights on the dash. By the time we got her car she had to follow me to my mechanic to drop off my car. The mechanics don't know how I managed to drive 2.5 miles with no alternator working in the car. I should have died within a block. Thankfully it is an easy repair. I definitely had an angel watching out for me.

So since I am house-bound til later today let us get to Disney World at least.

Day 1 begins

I had to figure out a way to the airport. My husband always drove me down but since he is no longer able to drive that was out. I asked my son-in-law and he was my ride. He actually doesn't mind as he gets out of work earlier that day or gets some OT.

Jim had enough food for the week and then some. I made pulled pork, left over roast beef, a noodle dish, got him lunch meat and chicken salad. He also had cereal, yogurt and peanut butter (which he loves). I packed at the last minute again, mostly because it was just clothes. I never unpacked my toiletries and such from Scotland after Jim insisted I take this trip. Jim planned on waking me up at 4:30 AM since my phone was on the charger downstairs. Turned out I didn't need an alarm as I popped awake on my own after another restless night.

I got my luggage downstairs, grabbed a cup of coffee with the Keurig as it's faster than the other coffee maker and I was set. My fur babies knew I was leaving again and were not happy, 2 of them anyway. Chewbacca and Yoda kept tripping me up, Jack slept away.
Chewbacca

Yoda, and this is normal for him

Jack (He had a brother Barbossa but sadly he died last year)

No sooner had I said good-bye to the babies Mike was at the door. We encountered more traffic than I expected but we chatted for a bit, for once. My SIL is not usually outgoing but we discussed his insane family, he agrees, and why his kids want nothing to do with his parents. Long story but they deserve the treatment the kids plan on giving them. The time passed quickly and I was at the airport in no time. Since I was on American down I couldn't do curb check but had to go to a kiosk to pay for my one bag. That was quick as there was almost no line. I skipped the wheelchair to my gate as it was really close and breezed through TSA. I did get to preboard not that it mattered as American has assigned seats.

We took off on time at 7 AM and I got a quick picture - sunrise over the Jersey shore

I used the phone camera as it takes a decent enough picture and I don't have to have the big camera out. I put the phone away and read my Kindle - I was reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, the last book in the series. I was even able to stretch out a bit as I paid for more legroom and there was nobody in the middle seat. Breakfast was Dr. Pepper and the small cookies they gave as a snack.

It seemed like no time til this was out of my window - the Florida coast

The plane landed a few minutes early and I headed straight down to Magical Express. More pixie dust as the bus for the resort was there and ready to leave. I even managed to get a front row seat and in no time I was seeing this sight and I started to relax

Even better this was the first stop - my home for the next 6 days

I checked in on-line but I still needed to stop at the desk. I do not like having my credit card linked to my Magic Band and wanted that taken care of. I also asked about my room as I was hoping for the Football building and a king bed. The room wasn't ready but my requests were on file. Not a problem. I called Walker Mobility to see if I could get my scooter rental delivery time moved up. It was only around 10:30 and I was anxious to start my day.

While I waited I put everything I didn't need into my backpack and carry-on luggage and checked them with Bell Services. Grabbed my refillable mug and filled my 2 water bottles with water and iced tea and waited. My scooter arrived by 11 AM and I was off. I did notice that the scooter had seen better days and took a few pictures just in case I would need them. My bus arrived almost immediately and there was no virtually no line and no other scooters.

My day had an awesome start and I hoped it would continue. I could just feel the stress and tension leave me.

Up next - Where was I headed?

The title says it all. This was, technically, a somewhat last minute trip although I do have an Annual Pass. And It was to preserve what little sanity I had left.

I went with a group of 21 people, more or less, last November. While we were there I upgraded my ticket to an Annual Pass hoping to head down in the spring. Then I found out that the tour to Scotland I had been on a couple of years ago was heading into England. It was going to make a stop at Hadrian's Wall. I couldn't pass that up. I put off Disney.

I planned a party for my mother's 80th Birthday. A SURPRISE party. My mother is IMPOSSIBLE to surprise. We were determined to do it this time. We as in my brothers, their wives, my dad and my aunt. I put Disney off again. No Flower and Garden this year sadly.

I also had my husband to worry about. He had 2 strokes in 2017 and has issues because of the strokes. Then there are the grandkids that I keep an eye on, meetings, outside commitments, older parents, etc. to consider. I said I just couldn't fit a trip in, Disney got about $300 from me for free. Jim said, "GO!!!" I resisted.

I got through the party for mom, barely. Until about noon the day of the party we still had no idea how to get her there. My dad came to the rescue. He came up with the perfect excuse - a memorial for her cousin, late on a saturday afternoon. Her cousin had passed away on her birthday sadly, but we knew she would be dressed nicely at least. I think we surprised her

Better my nephew flew home for one day to be there. She hadn't seen him for several years

We even managed a picture with all of her kids, minus 1 brother sadly he has issues, grandkids and great-grandkids and a few spouses

I was in a good mood but it didn't last. Stress came at me full force AGAIN! Mom and I were going to Scotland together because my dad has this insane notion that I will be kidnapped by marauding gangs. I don't know why they would want me but I went with mom or I didn't go. Never mind I have an ADULT grandchild, Dad has spoken. OK It was actually cheaper sharing a room. Only problem was mom was mad at me by the time we left for the trip. (It's been almost 4 months and I still don't know why and she is still mad!)

Scotland was fun but with mom it became a 4 Beer and 2 Whiskey trip, and I DO NOT drink!!! We argued over EVERYTHING!!! The 2 big ones and my favorites were 1) the window seat on the plane and the bus and 2) the fire.

I get car sick and I'm a little claustrophobic, I like the window seat. I also like to take pictures, around 3,500 this trip. Mom got mad, she wanted to take pics. It was an interesting conversation

Mom: Can I get the window seat, I want to take pictures with my new camera.

Me: Mom, it's a PHONE although I am impressed you got a smart phone. (My aunt made her upgrade.)

Mom: It's not a smart phone it's an I-Phone but it's a camera too.

Me: It's a SMART phone with a camera, it is not a camera.

Mom: I have a camera too, as she pulls out her little pocket camera and proceeds to look at a few pictures.

Me: Mom did you finally get a new memory card???

Mom: NO!!! I do NOT need one! (She has used the same 2 GB card for the last 15 years.)

Me: Tell me when you want me to move my head.

That was a highlight of the trip. She wound up taking less than 100 pictures.

She also complained that I took to many pictures of gargoyles and couldn't possibly enjoy the trip with a camera in my face.

Mom exploring a castle - NO phone or camera in hand

The other big argument came at night. She went to bed at 9 PM so I had to go to bed at 9 PM. She didn't want me waking her up. Not a huge issue I just read my Kindle every night, mom couldn't get hers to work so that was no fun and she always got the big bed. Anyhoo, one night I am laying in bed reading and all of a sudden there is a loud Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.

Mom: Would you turn OFF the TV.

Me: Mom, the TV is off.

Mom: Then turn off your alarm, I'm trying to sleep.

Me: Mom, my alarm goes Ding, Ding, Ding and does not make the whole room shake. Besides I don't need an alarm, you wake me up every morning at 6:30 AM.

I got out of bed and went into the hallway to see hotel personnel pounding on doors and people in various attire rushing out of their rooms. Yep we had a fire alarm and were being told LEAVE NOW!!! I grabbed my hoodie, phone and small bag (with my passport) as I shoved my shoes on my feet. My mom decided to get dressed! I told her we had no time for that.

MOM GOT DRESSED!!!!

She refused to leave until she was dressed properly. I told her to grab the key because I was out of there. I wasn't going to burn up waiting. They actually had police and fire crews arriving as we got outside.

Thankfully after standing outside in the wet Scottish night it was determined that someone had been smoking in their room. I was happy as my money was in the room, I forgot my wallet.

The trip was different. I did get at least one decent picture of us together, mom's smile was forced

The trip ended just as badly with my dad getting lost for over an hour trying to find the airport and then mom taking me to the river instead of my house. Not sure what she was thinking at that point.

I booked a preferred room at All Star Sports with QS dining. Flights were a little different as I now had almost enough miles each way but on different airlines. I booked American down and just paid to upgrade my seat - $30. Southwest home and had to buy 50 points so another $75 points but I bought more than I needed.

And who went on the trip? ME, MYSELF and I! Cast members get very confused when I answer like that.

Yep I went solo. I booked early August and went from October 1 to October 6. I meant to book til the 7th but it worked out OK.

So who am I you ask. I answer to many names: Mom, Grandmom, Sis, Lorrie and sometimes a few choice words that cannot be repeated.

I'm retired, or at least I am supposed to be retired. I do more now than when I was actually paid.

Favorite park: Animal Kingdom at the moment but it changes on my mood

Favorite ride: Cue the groans - It's a Small World. I rode the prototype for it at the '64 World's Fair in New York

Favorite Character: Chewbacca and Grumpy

So you can put a face to the name - here I am with Anna

This was my 23rd trip to Disney World and my 4th trip totally Solo.

So there is some background. Please join in and say Hi!

There is a very different smile in the Scotland picture and the Disney picture. Just gonna point that out.

There is a very different smile in the Scotland picture and the Disney picture. Just gonna point that out.

I never noticed that before. Yep, definitely a clenched teeth smile. The stress shows.

I also rode Carousel of Progress. My mom won a trip to the World's Fair and took me.

How cool is that!?

I swear if my life was a movie no one would believe it. A friend asked me to take her to her mechanics to pick up her car. We were going out to dinner afterwards. On the way my radio stopped working, then all the lights in my car went out and I was getting weird lights on the dash. By the time we got her car she had to follow me to my mechanic to drop off my car. The mechanics don't know how I managed to drive 2.5 miles with no alternator working in the car. I should have died within a block. Thankfully it is an easy repair. I definitely had an angel watching out for me.

EEK! That doesn't sound fun at all!
45271171502_1eb2c15aba_c.jpg

Just gorgeous!

Magical!

My day had an awesome start and I hoped it would continue. I could just feel the stress and tension leave me.

It sure did!!! So glad it started out well!

How cool is that!?

It definitely was very cool and all these years later I still remember some of that trip. I told my mom it's her fault that I love Disney because of that trip. Mom is NOT a Disney person and doesn't get my love for it.

EEK! That doesn't sound fun at all!

It wasn't fun but thankfully that was all that was wrong. I drive a 13 year old car, things will go. If my grandson ever gets his license he is getting the car and I am getting a new one.

Just gorgeous!

One of the best things about early morning flights is being able to get a sunrise. Even better when it is over my other happy place. The Jersey shore is much closer.

It sure did!!! So glad it started out well!

It did have a great start, just what I needed.

I just found your report and happy that I did! I have often dreamed about going to WDW solo. I would be nice to just take my time and enjoy the small things. When I am on a trip with my family, there is not enough time to do it all and so, the little things I would like to check out always are added to my list of things to try the next time when we don't get to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter