Last sunburn you had

1994 - Typhoon Lagoon. It was the worst sunburn that blistered and everything. I swore that I would never get burnt like that again, and I never have. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! I've had maybe a tad bit of redness, but nothing that was even painful. I learned my lesson.

It was hell.

I was in my happy place - the Maldives - but fell asleep on the beach. The sun, damnit, moved and toasted my legs - first degree burns. I was bed-bound for 4 days with acute pain - I couldn't stand up, walk or anything without tremendous pain.

Never again :(

I don't like using aloe, I think it's too heavy. I prefer to use oil of olay, the sensitive skin formula. It works great!

It was hell.

I was in my happy place - the Maldives - but fell asleep on the beach. The sun, damnit, moved and toasted my legs - first degree burns. I was bed-bound for 4 days with acute pain - I couldn't stand up, walk or anything without tremendous pain.

Never again :(
Ouch! That's terrible.

Ouch! That's terrible.

Worst holiday EVER. I had to have food brought to me, each trip to the restroom was agony, I was trapped. Still can't bring myself to go back there, which is nuts because I love the Maldives!

Fortunately they had a brilliant on call doctor who visited me in my room, else I don't know what I would have done!

I've always heard not to use lotion on burns ... that it traps the heat in.
I think that's regular type burns (like from a fireplace, or cooking things). At the time of injury, yes don't use oily substances as it will lock the heat in and continue to burn.

A sunburn, once you're back home and doing first aid on it, there's no burning going on. Lotion keeps the skin soft and less painful.

My last significant sunburn was about 20 years ago when we vacationed in Cancun. My nose was so burnt that fluid kept leaking out of the pores in my nose, and needles to say, it peeled.

Worst holiday EVER. I had to have food brought to me, each trip to the restroom was agony, I was trapped. Still can't bring myself to go back there, which is nuts because I love the Maldives!

Fortunately they had a brilliant on call doctor who visited me in my room, else I don't know what I would have done!
What did that doctor do to treat you?

It been a while. Being fair skinned with blonde hair DH sprays the kiddo and I with sunblock each day from about May to the end of September.

Last time I was sunburned was probably in the '60's. It was so painful I couldn't figure out why people (self included) didn't wear a preventative.

My best friend sent her teenaged DD to stay with me for a summer about 10 yeas ago.She is very fair skinned and was going for a sightseeing tour on a boat around Manhattan. Left 35 and 50 SPF sunscreen out for her the night before, realised she "forgot" it, texted her before she got to the pier with directions on where the nearest non tourist priced health and beauty store was and gosh I guess she just didn't want to wear it since she got on board w/o it. Hours later a pink person w/ splotches of red arrived at my front door. She looked soooo bad the doorman called on the house phone while she was on the elevator and asked if I needed anything from the pharmacy before he went home for the day. Gave him a list and when he returned and I tried to tip me him he refused saying just take care of "Freddy".

Of course she opted for maximum skin exposure that day and her shoulders, upper section of back, chest, and forearms, as well as face were burnt.
Blisters kept forming, breaking and reforming; it was a Wes Craven horror scene. A few days of copious amts of cool water, aloe vera, aspirin or tylenol bathing, Neosporin, and soft touching with a flannel sheet soaked in distilled water gave her enough wherewith all to make it to a dermatologist. She'd already had a medical house call (highly unusual around here) because one of my upstairs nabes visited and told me what to do.
Bet she never does that again.

Back in the summer of 2017 I got burned hanging out at a pool for too long w/o sunscreen. It wasn't severe or anything, but enough to make me remember to use sunscreen in the future. I just used that Banana Boat Aloe stuff that's green.

It was maybe 20 years ago, I think. Spent a rare day on the beach (really hate the beach, actually), and wound up with a bad burn across my shoulders. It seemed fine until that night when we went up to the boardwalk to get a bite to eat. It hurt so much rubbing against my bra strap I had to take my bra off and shove it into my purse. Luckily, it was a cool night so I was wearing a thick hoodie so my bubs weren't flapping all over the place.

ALL NATURAL and it WORKS! I am Irish and I do not tan, I burn. This is what i do and it works. Take a pot and boil 3 cups of water. Add 10 Lipton tea bags. Let the tea get cold in the fridge (or freezer if you're in agony). Once the tea is cold soak a washcloth with the tea and apply this to the burned area. Let the tea dry on your skin and periodically re-apply. Tea has anti-inflammatory qualities. This method takes the red, the heat, and the sting out. You'll start to feel better after the first application.

Thanks to this thread I had a dream that I was at a water park and got burned all over my face, neck and shoulders, except where I had been wearing goggles. As I realized that I was burned in the dream, my first thought was that I now have to this thread on the DIS and confess that I let it happen and got burned for the first time in 25 years. Fortunately, it was all just a dream.

Noxema Original Cleansing cream is the only product that has ever worked for me. It instantly soothes and works for hours. The aloe products actually dry out my skin and make it worse.

End of August-Jamaica: More intense sun there. Did pretty well honestly as we used a lot of sunscreen but burns can still happen.

I use blue aloe vera which is aloe vera with lidocaine which helps the pain. I don't peel often at all but if I start to it's normally well after the burn has 'tanned' so at that point I'm using lotion for hydration.

My last significant sunburn was about 20 years ago when we vacationed in Cancun. My nose was so burnt that fluid kept leaking out of the pores in my nose, and needles to say, it peeled.

Ugh. That’s terrible!
I was a bit worried about my nose. It took the brunt of my burn, but it’s looking and feeling better today.

ALL NATURAL and it WORKS! I am Irish and I do not tan, I burn. This is what i do and it works. Take a pot and boil 3 cups of water. Add 10 Lipton tea bags. Let the tea get cold in the fridge (or freezer if you're in agony). Once the tea is cold soak a washcloth with the tea and apply this to the burned area. Let the tea dry on your skin and periodically re-apply. Tea has anti-inflammatory qualities. This method takes the red, the heat, and the sting out. You'll start to feel better after the first application.

Thanks for this! You and I have the same skin. I will try this if there is a next time for me. Hopefully I’ll be more careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter