Late addition to group- FastPass/Rider Swap question

ROBINGOOD

Earning My Ears
A friend of the family has decided to join our trip to Disney in late March. I had already set up our family's FPs 60 days out so I went in today to see what I could get her added to. I was able to get her added to everything with the exception of SDMT, Slink Dog, and Big Thunder Mtn Railroad. Since these are all rides that have a height requirement, and we will be using the Rider Swap option anyway, does this person have to have a FP, in order to get in the 2nd group of the Rider Swap?

On our last trip in Thanskgiving we used Rider Swap a good bit and after we rode we would still see the unused adult's FP list on MDE, so that makes me think that the original FP wasn't used, and instead the "rider swap fast pass" was applied and used instead. Thoughts?

I posted my thread and then saw this one. here is the response I got when I emailed Disney - hope it helps:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all four Walt Disney World® Resort Theme Parks. With Rider Switch, if a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again! Upon arrival at the participating attraction, please speak to the Attraction Host or Hostess for assistance.

Please note, that each Guest wishing to use Rider Switch through the FastPass+ line must have a FastPass+ selection otherwise they would not be eligible to have been in the line for a Rider Switch. You may be pleased to know that typically it is not needed to use Rider Switch when you have a FastPass+, as you have an hour to redeem a selection.

For additional information and list of attractions, please visit, Rider Switch. Please note, attractions are subject to change without notice.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website. Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

I wouldn't count on getting a rider swap these days unless everyone has a FP. Just keep trying; especially if you see a change in park hours and then on the day of for a FP+ for one, grab anytime that pops up and then keep looking to tweak the time to sometime within your hour window.

If the non rider is over 2 and has a fp along with the rest of the party the new guest could ride using that MB.

I would try it the way you suggested. I have never made FPs for everyone in my party for attractions and have always used RS. Instead of making a FP for everyone for the height restricted attraction, I would make a FP for me and the child who was too short to ride (if they had a ticket) for something else nearby. (Soarin' I will make a FP for Living with the Land). I have never had an issue.
I always thought that was the point of RS especially now since you have to come back within a return time window. The child will likely just end up waiting outside the attraction doing nothing, which is fine for short rides like SDMT and Big Thunder but is sort of awful for attractions like FOP and Soarin which tend to take awhile. However, policies change. My last trip was last July. I have an upcoming trip next month. I have my FP set up this way for this trip because I haven't seen any announcements regarding this change. If I don't get to ride the big attractions then I don't get to ride. It won't be the end of the world. I've done them before, but I feel like the RS policy isn't really worth it if this is the case. I would be a little disappointed because this was a nice feature for people with young kids. A way to let the adults experience the larger attractions while also keeping the littles happy. Just stagger your FPS a bit same difference. In fact, you really have more control that way because you choose your times rather than being given a return time window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!