• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Late check-in a problem at OKW?

SamanthaL

<font color=purple>I got the cute kids AND <font c
:confused: When I first booked my plane tickets we were arriving at WDW at 3pm. USAir has changed our flight time so now we arrive at 5:15pm. We requested a ground floor or elevator building for medical reasons. Will this be a problem with our late check-in? Another thread posted by someone stated that the CM at the resort said it is first come first serve and requests are not looked at ahead of time. Does anyone else know?

There should not be a problem, not really a late check in either.
We arrived at 1am and the unit and building I requested were exactly what I received.
The information you received about "first come first served" is not entirely correct. They do look and they do try to accomodate you, however there are no guarantees.
Medical reasons ALWAYS take priority over any other requests, btw.

We arrived this past trip in August at 10:30 pm and all of our requests were met. None of them were medical, just our tastes and opinions. I have had less success with my requests being met with afternoon checkins.

If your confirmation states that you need ground floor or elevator for medical reasons, you will get them. It's only on the confirmation as guaranteed if you need a completely wheelchair accessible unit. We have been told though, that Medical Requests are always filled. As someone else stated, those requests are filled first and after they are filled, general requests for first floor are filled. We have checked in as late as midnight and still got our medical (and actually our other) requests.
There is also no way with a resort as big as OKW that they could assign all the rooms on a "first come first served basis". Whether they have firmly assigned them or not, they have blocked out which rooms will be assigned to which people before you get there.

We arrived at midnight and were disappointed with our room. I called the next day and they were willing to move us. This was before they started charging members if they requested a room change after checking into a unit. We have found that now that there is a fee to move our requests are always met at the BW and OKW. Maybe we've just been lucky.

Most of the time it should not be a problem. My parents are down there now and they said the person that checked them in was very rude, not at all accomadating and of course everything that my husband asked for for them she said she didn't have. This They did get a first floor room but that's it. She told them everything else was filled. So much for Disney getting on TV and complaining about no one being there!!The check in people at OKW used to be so pleasant to work with.....I guess things are indeed changing..
Debbie

The OKW people are still wonderful to work with, with a couple of exceptions and they were not all that bad. Have yet to have a problem with getting what I requested and have always been satisfied.

You are not really getting in that late and as noted, your request should state "for medical reasons". Otherwise, arriving late can be a problem. What happens is all of those that come in complain and they start giving your room away. If you haven't checked in yet, they just keep pushing you further down the ladder.

We have checked in after midnight recently and found this to be problematic. We always request first floor and nonsmoking for medical reason,dh is a heart patient. When we checked in for our May trip, we had neither. Finally, after convincing a rude cast member in the wee hours of the morning that we had to at least have a nonsmoking room, we got one. It was not first floor nor in the area of the resort that we requested. In fact, it was as far away from everything that it could possibly be. To make matters worse, the same exact thing happened to us the previous May as well. I just made ressies for next May and booked the earliest flights that we can make after getting off work. I hope this will help.

I'd also fax the resort about 7 days ahead attention room controller with an explanation of what you must need and why.

On our last trip in January, we arrived after 1:00 AM. The two 2BR units we had requested were waiting for us, and were what we requested. The CM at the desk was most pleasant, and even set up for the arrival of 2 more guests arriving the next night ( as it turned out at 3:00 AM. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter