Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

As I'm thinking about this - the possibility of a Toy Story themed character meal is very appealing. I have no clue if it would ever happen (I'm still leaning towards not happening at AP), but if it did, they may finally have found something to unseat BOG as the toughest to get ADR. I for one would be stoked!

Character meals have shown, time and time again, that they are money makers. Even all day character meals.

And AP has shown that they have numerous empty tables, throughout the day. Reading that other posters were "thinking about adding AP to their next trip" doesn't pay the bills. Disney needs bottoms in those seats.

Keep in mind, if they tried to keep it signature but added a hard to find character, like BOG, it would have to be prix fixe. Otherwise we would have numerous tables of water and all sharing one dessert.

I do not think it needs to be a signature dining experience, but I wonder at the wisdom of adding three character meals a day. I am not opposed, mind you, but I am just not sure it is a great idea.

I agree with you that "I was thinking of going to AP" will not cut the mustard, but I had to laugh because this December it was on our list. I am not at all sure if we would go if it was a character buffet.

As to WCC, it was a once and done for us, so time will tell if this restaurant can make the changes that draw us back.

Drawing a blank on a signature ever being at the Poly?

Me too! Nevermind 2 credits. When poster says back in the day. I think of when we started going back in the 70's. No dinning plan back then. Not many places to chose from either. There was the Poly, The Contemporary, Fort Wilderness or off site.

I wonder if the restaurants will "swap"? From what I have read, WCC is toning it down because the noise bothers guests staying above it and those in the lobby. Maybe they will put WCC where AP is now since it is enclosed.

I wouldn’t mind this so long as a fine dining experience is preserved in the WL.

Perhaps they could even use Aulani as a model. That resort has a character buffet (Makahiki) and a fine dining restaurant (‘Ama’Ama). ‘Ama’Ama not only serves a signature quality dinner but also provides a quiet, off-the-menu breakfast and lunch. In a similar vein, the WL could have one restaurant space for a character buffet (for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner) and another for a quieter, off-the-menu experience, with dinner being signature dining, similar to ‘Ama’Ama.

The odd man out would be the current dinner experience at WCC. But, to me, it makes much more sense to drop this and preserve a fine dining experience at WL than the other way around (especially if one of the restaurants will have a character dinner - it makes no sense to have two loud restaurants with mediocre food and zero quiet restaurants with higher quality food).

The bottom line is that the WL without a fine dining experience would be a travesty.

Last edited:

Me too! Nevermind 2 credits. When poster says back in the day. I think of when we started going back in the 70's. No dinning plan back then. Not many places to chose from either. There was the Poly, The Contemporary, Fort Wilderness or off site.
The Luau at Poly is 2credits.

This rumour would sure explain the lack of availability at Artist Point in November. They need time to reinvent it.

Take this FWIW, but I was contacted by a representative of WDW in response to an inquiry I addressed to WDW’s CEO regarding the future of Artist Point.

I was told that management considers fine (signature) dining to be a keystone component of a deluxe resort. I was also told that management expects demand for all WL restaurants to steadily increase due to the addition of the Copper Creek Villas to the resort. Along those lines, I was told that there are no current plans to remove fine (signature) dining from the WL.

Take this FWIW, but I was contacted by a representative of WDW in response to an inquiry I addressed to WDW’s CEO regarding the future of Artist Point.

I was told that management considers fine (signature) dining to be a keystone component of a deluxe resort. I was also told that management expects demand for all WL restaurants to steadily increase due to the addition of the Copper Creek Villas to the resort. Along those lines, I was told that there are no current plans to remove fine (signature) dining from the WL.
Wow! I sure hope that is the case! Back to checking for a December ressie!! Thanks!

That's (maybe) good news. Problem? WDW keeps classifying "Character Restaurants" as SIGS :(.

That's (maybe) good news. Problem? WDW keeps classifying "Character Restaurants" as SIGS :(.

As I read that I thought the same thing. They are good at giving the answer they think you want to hear. Signature does not mean it's not a character meal .... CRT forever, but now that BOG is signature with The Beast ... :confused3 ... why not AP? It's Signature now, it used to host character meals, it always comes up available. Empty chairs need filling and Disney will do what they need to do to create demand.

As I read that I thought the same thing. They are good at giving the answer they think you want to hear. Signature does not mean it's not a character meal .... CRT forever, but now that BOG is signature with The Beast ... :confused3 ... why not AP? It's Signature now, it used to host character meals, it always comes up available. Empty chairs need filling and Disney will do what they need to do to create demand.
As my personal addendum, I will count no character meal as Signature--those two categories are distinct and don't overlap.

Just a heads up if you weren't aware.....today my 180 window opened up for our December trip and we'll be staying at WL. I got all my dining reservations including the coveted Cali Grill brunch but couldn't get Artists Point. When I called the special guest service line I was informed that they are reimagining this restaurant and haven't opened up the window for it yet. Whew! Hopefully it won't be under construction when we're go and it is simply a change in menu.

Well, this is interesting that the phone "script" includes this and not just ... "they haven't opened yet".

As my personal addendum, I will count no character meal as Signature--those two categories are distinct and don't overlap.

And I will match you with some of the "Signature" meals are not worth two credits let alone the prices.

Some Signature are only that due to demand.

I was thinking same...that the answer above was so vague that Disney could be thinking an AP character meal can still be signature, a la BOG. And they will have to do something to avoid the fate of BOG with the cupcake diners so they likely will have a prix fixe dinner or buffet. Maybe something like Akershus. NOPE, that's not the same. Not signature in my book.

I wonder if the restaurants will "swap"? From what I have read, WCC is toning it down because the noise bothers guests staying above it and those in the lobby. Maybe they will put WCC where AP is now since it is enclosed. They could theme it as Woody's Round Up from Toy Story... then you could have the antics WCC is known for and characters to boot - Woody, Jesse, the Prospector... they could even keep the same menu. Then AP could go in the WCC space as a quieter signature experience.

Whatever happens, we will be staying at CC in January and I can't wait to check it out! It's our first time staying at WL and we are so excited!

I love this idea. I would't have thought of it, but it makes sense to me. Everyone could be happy. Signature could stay and get more foot traffic too. I would love to be able experience the Antics of WC (had just heard about them and was ready to try it out for next stay lol.) Also, Toy Story characters would surely be popular. Families with boys or girls who aren't into princesses would have another option. Great tie in to new HS area & to the theme. Please share this idea with Disney & sign me up. lol.
*Disclaimer- I haven't actually eaten at either of the restaurants as they stand now; just had future plans too. lol.

Going on Day 4 after being asked for my phone number to discuss the matter and still nothing. I wasn't holding my breath before. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter