Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

I don't blame you. Frankly, I cannot imagine why this change would take place before the holidays. It makes more sense to me to leave dinner as is, and if they want to monkey around with breakfast or lunch, add a temporary one for now, and close completely in January.
I share your preference, but maybe they think the new version of the restaurant will attract even more people to dine there during the holidays.

I have no problem with making Artist Point a character meal for breakfast or even lunch, but would be very upset if they ruin the dinner signature dining experience with characters.

We've eaten there at least six or seven times over the last decade and always enjoyed it. My 21-year old son still asks for the artist palette dessert off of the children's menu that he first got when he was 10 years old.

There were a few misses over the years, like the lavender sage crème brûlée that smelled (and tasted) like turkey stuffing :rolleyes:; we're still laughing about that one. However, they've never gone wrong with the cedar plank salmon. In fact, this is the restaurant that convinced my son to start eating salmon in the first place.

On our last visit in 2017, we weren't staying at Wilderness Lodge due to the ongoing construction, so I didn't make an ADR at Artist Point for that visit. However, on our last night at WDW, my wife and son both asked if we couldn't possibly eat at Artist Point instead of heading to Disney Springs. I was able to make a last-minute ADR on this Monday night in May, so we headed there to eat. A thunderstorm came through right as we arrived, but we got inside just in time, and immediately felt like we were home. It was one of the best meals we've ever had at WDW.

Here's hoping they keep signature dining going at Artist Point.

Last edited:
FYI..... Artist Point has opened up another bank of reservations. Previously the last reservation was Oct 21. They are now taking reservations through Oct 28.

So, it is possible they are just releasing new dates slowly and this might of been just a "rumor"
Something seems to be in a state of flux. I just checked and it showed no availability for any dates at all.

I hope this means they are on the verge of opening up reservations for December... if so, it would be just in time to reserve for Christmas!

FYI..... Artist Point has opened up another bank of reservations. Previously the last reservation was Oct 21. They are now taking reservations through Oct 28.

So, it is possible they are just releasing new dates slowly and this might of been just a "rumor"
Gotta say "oh weee" :). A week? How kind.
We are DVC HOMED at the WL. When we see a serious SIG that wants our money? We will book it.
Today? There isn't one. CAB - GF, or Contemporary. Basic Breakfast at WL? Yup, already booked...

My dear wife and I HATE this... we loved AP. We love the WL. Yet? We are going to get stuck with a "Deluxe" that has ZERO Sig Dining :).

Wow you are right!! EVERY date starting from TODAY onward is now "blacked out". Something def is going on. I have never seen that before.
Think Great Movie Ride...
"It can't get any worse.... OK, it's worse...." :).

Wilderness Lodge is now the only Deluxe without a Signature Restaurant. I state this, until WDW chokes up and proves me wrong.
So - WDW? Up to you. Silence = WL no longer a Deluxe. Let us know, so we can unload our DVC points.

I agree. Now, while the rumor may not fully come true (only breakfast vice all three meals, e.g.), the fact that NO information has been released eloquently argues it's not a simple refurbishment. If it were, then they'd be more than happy to tell us when AP would be closed; there would be no guessing about when AP was closing, opening, or what changes might be in store. We would know.
waitwaitwait
are you saying that it's possible that Disney has no idea what the heck it's going to be doing!? Say it isn't so!!!!!

My guess is that they have some type of plan, even though they aren't saying what it is.
I would not be surprised if they don't know for sure and are still debating internally what to do. Wondering if the influx of feedback made them reconsider going a little slower too (just breakfast and lunch first)

waitwaitwait
are you saying that it's possible that Disney has no idea what the heck it's going to be doing!? Say it isn't so!!!!!
I would not be surprised if they don't know for sure and are still debating internally what to do. Wondering if the influx of feedback made them reconsider going a little slower too (just breakfast and lunch first)
Though Disney always claims to have a plan for a project, it's obvious such plans aren't thought through each time. Case in point: Geyser Point.

"Hey, let's build a cool place where patrons can sit at the bar or surrounding tables and order bar food." What if people crowd the tables coming from the new pool? "Oh. Well, let's make it a combo TS/QS place." The tables are being taken by people who just want to sit and eat a snack and take a break from the pool. "Okay, let's make it a sit down restaurant, only you can only get bar menu items. Oh, and let's drop breakfast."

Geyser Point is a great idea in concept (other than having to remove a great deal of wilderness from the Wilderness Lodge) and is pretty. But. It's not working because someone didn't think it through. And don't get me started on Reunion Station. Dead from the start.

Want to be forward thinkers and risk takers where the reward could be great? Make Artist Point a jewel like Napa Rose--truly topnotch dining with consistency beyond the typical Signature. Or, build Geyser Point as a Signature restaurant. . .on the water. . .with views of fireworks and piped in music. Put a character meal in at AP for all three meals. You get the best of both worlds: a) upscale dining in a great location, and b) a character meal bound to fill seats. Instead, they rushed the project(s).

I apologize for sounding so negative--truly that's not my intent. However, it's become apparent in the last decade, especially the last half, that cutting costs with incomplete concepts instead of creating experiences for long term investment and growth is the Disney preferred method to please major stockholders and the board. Disney now aims for "industry standard." They used to set the standard.

build Geyser Point as a Signature restaurant. . .on the water. . .with views of fireworks and piped in music. Put a character meal in at AP for all three meals. You get the best of both worlds: a) upscale dining in a great location, and b) a character meal bound to fill seats.

What a fabulous idea. Probably won't happen but wish it would!

I wonder if the fail of RS is going to allow them to make that location into Artist Point and then they will make old AP location the character meal.

I wonder if the fail of RS is going to allow them to make that location into Artist Point and then they will make old AP location the character meal.
My guess is that won't happen. For starters, Reunion Station is on the back side of Geyser Point and would offer no views of the water or the fireworks. To fully realize Geyser Point's potential as a location, the main eating area would have to be used, and that would require a) a substantial outlay of money to remake it into a fine dining area, and b) shutting down GP for an extended length of time. Shuttering a relatively brand new building and spending even more money to shape it into a Signature seems unlikely. Moreover, Disney would have to admit it made a huge miscalculation when it comes to GP and RS, another unlikelihood. That being said, I'd love to see this idea of a Signature on the water with the bonus of character meals in the old AP location. Too bad someone with foresight didn't see come up with this idea to start.

My guess is that won't happen. For starters, Reunion Station is on the back side of Geyser Point and would offer no views of the water or the fireworks. To fully realize Geyser Point's potential as a location, the main eating area would have to be used, and that would require a) a substantial outlay of money to remake it into a fine dining area, and b) shutting down GP for an extended length of time. Shuttering a relatively brand new building and spending even more money to shape it into a Signature seems unlikely. Moreover, Disney would have to admit it made a huge miscalculation when it comes to GP and RS, another unlikelihood. That being said, I'd love to see this idea of a Signature on the water with the bonus of character meals in the old AP location. Too bad someone with foresight didn't see come up with this idea to start.

I love the idea of dining on the water and having the chance to see the fireworks after dinner. Somewhere along the line DIsney lost sight of long term success for some of these restaurants and has nto managed to find their way back. Look at BOG. How many years did it take for DIsney to try to give this restaurant an identity? IMO, they lost such an opportunity and will have a difficult time turning that mistake around.

Signature dining in a park is not a new concept. Even the skewed CS model they wanted to begin breakfast with was on point, and BOOM! Dropped the ball the first day. Look how that turned out. At first the pastries were crisp and freshly baked, so between the entree which was delicious, pastry plate and beverage the cost was high but had a value. The last breakfast I had the pastries were the store brand stuff, and no where near the original quality.

If DIsney were to bite the bullet with dining in WL, make some hard changes and insist on quality every meal, theme the restaurants properly, and make sure the options within the resort were diverse enough to entice folks to see WL as they do the monorail restaurants, they could be successful.

I love the idea of dining on the water and having the chance to see the fireworks after dinner. Somewhere along the line DIsney lost sight of long term success for some of these restaurants and has nto managed to find their way back. Look at BOG. How many years did it take for DIsney to try to give this restaurant an identity? IMO, they lost such an opportunity and will have a difficult time turning that mistake around.

Signature dining in a park is not a new concept. Even the skewed CS model they wanted to begin breakfast with was on point, and BOOM! Dropped the ball the first day. Look how that turned out. At first the pastries were crisp and freshly baked, so between the entree which was delicious, pastry plate and beverage the cost was high but had a value. The last breakfast I had the pastries were the store brand stuff, and no where near the original quality.

If DIsney were to bite the bullet with dining in WL, make some hard changes and insist on quality every meal, theme the restaurants properly, and make sure the options within the resort were diverse enough to entice folks to see WL as they do the monorail restaurants, they could be successful.
Absolutely agree. The ideas are generally good--the execution of said notions often lack foresight and quality.

Absolutely agree. The ideas are generally good--the execution of said notions often lack foresight and quality.

It really is a shame. I loved the concept of BOG breakfast. A fixed cost meal that was a bit more than a regular CS breakfast, but with a higher quality. Disney tossed that out before it even was implemented, fist day IIRC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter