Laundry during the Japan ABD?

Eastridge

Mouseketeer
I know this is a bit of a strange question, but for those of you who have done the Japan ABD: How did you get laundry done?

Especially with the Tokyo Disney Resort add on, this is a long trip and seems too long to go without doing laundry. But that seems to be a real challenge. The hotels in Takayama and Odawara are far from a city center. There is a coin laundry that is a bit of a walk from the Peninsula in Tokyo. But that's at the end of the trip. And other than the start and the end of the trip there doesn't appear to be much on your own time to get laundry done.

Sorry, I can't help you. I try to never do laundry while on vacation! I just pack a lot of mix and match stuff & wear things more than once. Of course, if you're doing your trip during a hot timeframe, sometimes that can't be helped.

If you're willing to take the chance, I'm sure your Adventure Guides will be able to find options for you to get laundry done in Takayama. I really don't think you're in Odawara long enough to get any laundry done, as you get there in the evening (sometimes pretty late) and leave first thing in the morning.

Sayhello

We usually ask our ABD guides at the beginning of the trip which hotel is the best option to have laundry done. For instance, on our China ABD, they suggested the hotel in Guillen because it was the cheapest option and in the middle of the trip. We do not want to do laundry while on vacation, so we splurge and have the hotel do it for us (only sending in the necessary items to make it through the rest of the trip).

I know this is a bit of a strange question, but for those of you who have done the Japan ABD: How did you get laundry done?

Especially with the Tokyo Disney Resort add on, this is a long trip and seems too long to go without doing laundry. But that seems to be a real challenge. The hotels in Takayama and Odawara are far from a city center. There is a coin laundry that is a bit of a walk from the Peninsula in Tokyo. But that's at the end of the trip. And other than the start and the end of the trip there doesn't appear to be much on your own time to get laundry done.

While I haven’t done the Japan ABD, I did do the China ABD last summer when it was super hot and was in China for 2.5 weeks with my pre and post days. I normally travel during the summer months and am gone for 2-2.5 weeks when I travel. Over the years I’ve refined the way I pack for trips that limits the need for doing laundry.

I only pack synthetic materials that can be washed easily in the sink and that will dry quickly. I normally bring travel size tide sink packets to use for sink washing of shirts and underwear. I have also used the hotel shampoo for this purpose but it doesn’t always provide the best results. I bring enough shorts and wear them 3-4 times each depending on how long I’ll be gone. If I need to dress up for dinner, I bring 2-3 pairs of pants with 3-4 tops that can interchange for a different look. For things too bulky to wash in the sink (pajamas, lounge wear, etc) I just bring two of them. I normally don’t think about doing laundry unless I know I will have access to washers/dryers with minimal effort (Cruise, WDW, timeshare, etc). The last thing you want to do on vacation is worry about doing laundry.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

Yes, it makes more sense to use the hotel's laundry service or to pack clothes suitable for washing/drying in the room.

It's just annoying to pay $5 to wash a shirt, just as I avoid paying $5 for a soda from the in-room minibar...

I have used this on a couple of trips and it is worth it to me. I find that having the nubs there for agitation really helps get things cleaner than in the sink. Check amazon for:
Scrubba Portable Clothes Washing Bag (Black) 2018/19 Model for Travel, Camping, Hiking and Cleaning Laundry Anywhere

I also take clothes that will dry quickly, but this takes up minimal space. I only use it in hotels where we spend more than one night though, to make sure things dry.

I didn't do laundry. It would be challenging on this trip, as the days are full, and you're moving frequently. I also did the Tokyo Disneyland extension. I just recycled clothes a good bit (especially pants). I don't do laundry on trips. I pack very efficiently.

We did the trip last summer and clean clothes was probably my biggest concern. Like abdgeek, we pack a lot of synthetic materials that can be washed easily in the sink and that dry quickly. A lot of 'athleisure' works (Athleta, Old Navy) or 'travel' gear (Eddie Bauer, Columbia). We also travel with a travel clothesline and detergent (a tube is my preferred, but not easy to find).
Even with that, the trip was so jam-packed we had to plan when to do laundry and when it might be dry. We also lucked out that it was quite cool once we hit Tokyo. Also, we did not 'change for dinner' as much as on some trips.

Thanks for the additional tips and for the suggestion of the clothes washing bag! And for confirming that this trip is jam packed. That's why I'm trying to figure out a plan for laundry or ways to not need it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts