Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who even thinks Disney would take care of their employees is living in Fantasyland. WDW thinks of their employees as indentured servants, not employees or Cast Members. Not since the first 10-yrs of the Eisner Reign have employees felt like valued members of "The World".
Im assuming you have family and friends who work there now and are telling you they are feeling like indentured servants? Or is this just your thoughts on the current state?

Rusty Scupper has an axe to grind. While a lot of what he says isn't always wrong, his bitter personal opinion can be distracting.

Now, it has been close to 9 years since I was a CM (seems still like yesterday), Disney always treated me well. In fact, I would say there was a time where WDW management went above and beyond to help me.

I would go back and work there in a heartbeat if I was retired and looking for some discretionary income.

Anyone who even thinks Disney would take care of their employees is living in Fantasyland. WDW thinks of their employees as indentured servants, not employees or Cast Members. Not since the first 10-yrs of the Eisner Reign have employees felt like valued members of "The World".
I agree with you. Not the same by a long shot.

I don’t think any company is immune to layoffs right now. Our company just went through a third set of layoffs about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Disney may have some support roles that are not needed right now, just as UO had, and those roles could be cut. I think between the lack of CP and international representatives, the front line CMs may not be as much at risk, but I wouldn’t consider any job anywhere to be 100% secure. Heck, there were reports of medical personnel at hospitals being laid off during the virus lockdowns. If they aren’t needed right now, why would the rest of us think our jobs are secure?

I don’t think any company is immune to layoffs right now. Our company just went through a third set of layoffs about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Disney may have some support roles that are not needed right now, just as UO had, and those roles could be cut. I think between the lack of CP and international representatives, the front line CMs may not be as much at risk, but I wouldn’t consider any job anywhere to be 100% secure. Heck, there were reports of medical personnel at hospitals being laid off during the virus lockdowns. If they aren’t needed right now, why would the rest of us think our jobs are secure?
I'm retired now 11+ years from a telephone company. Union worker represented by the CWA. Our contract had a no layoff provision for workers hired by a certain date. I feel bad for workers who don't have job protection agreements.

Disney needs to keep their workers working full shifts and provide a better rate of pay. I'm pro union and pro worker.

Disney needs to keep their workers working full shifts and provide a better rate of pay. I'm pro union and pro worker.
That statement shows that you have no vision for reality. Disney nor any other company can afford to pay people for doing nothing. Unfortunate, especially in Disney's or any other entertainment oriented company their need for employees has peaks and valleys based on the economy etc. much more than any other industry.

Being pro-worker is certainly something everybody should be but as far as prounion goes there time have passed and nowadays everything they do is take money from their members to pad the pockets of their executives.

Cutting staff is not the answer. Keep everyone employed.

And pay them how??? Park attendance is limited, several resorts aren’t opening yet. Disney is not the only company downsizing employees now. Less work means less employees. Should all the brick & mortar retail stores keep all their employees on? What about restaurants running at limited capacity now?? Keep all employees?? Airlines —- keep paying all employees in, even tho travel is way down??? When there is a downturn in business, companies downsize employees. Way of the world. And has been for the 45 years I’ve been in the workforce. Disney is just another other big employer. Doing what they need to do for the survival of the company.

Now all that said... I think it’s disgusting the salaries CEOs make vs. what the average employee makes. But that has been allowed to go on for decades now. Has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Heck, there were reports of medical personnel at hospitals being laid off during the virus lockdowns. If they aren’t needed right now, why would the rest of us think our jobs are secure?

Those reports are absolutely true. I work for a large hospital system in western NY state. The governor ordered certain restrictions & changes for hospitals when we were In the thick of things. For example, no elective surgeries or routine testing to save beds & PPE for Covid patients. This meant only emergency surgeries, no routine colonoscopies etc. No surgeries meant no work for OR, pre op & recovery room staffs. We had 2 floors closed in addition to those areas at our hospital because of those census reductions. Not all that staff was needed for Covid patients. Elective surgeries are a huge source of income for hospitals. And now, after months of decreased income, budgets need to be balanced. Our hospital system has so far managed with staff from many different areas taking voluntary furloughs. Depending on how things go over the fall & winter, permanent layoffs could still happen.

So the fact that Disney paid for furloughed employees benefits for the first month on COVID shut down is treating their employees as "indentured servents" ???? Disney is a corporation that has to ultimately answer to its stock holders, but their history does not come to the histrionics as posted above.

Per union contract, they were required to. So yay for the union in providing some small protection to the employees.

As to whether or not layoffs are coming, the majority of CMs are still laid off. Disney can't lay off employees that haven't been brought back to work in the first place.

My parents are now seasonal CMs (stepped down from part time about a year and a half ago). They're still waiting to hear their fate. Seasonal employees are required to put in so many hours a year to retain employment, but as they have not been called back to work, they are unable to fulfill the requirement. There are rumors that seasonal will be extended out until next year, but still no official word.

With no prospect of CP coming back anytime soon, I would guess that Disney will hold on to as many employees as possible.

Rusty Scupper has an axe to grind. While a lot of what he says isn't always wrong, his bitter personal opinion can be distracting.

Now, it has been close to 9 years since I was a CM (seems still like yesterday), Disney always treated me well. In fact, I would say there was a time where WDW management went above and beyond to help me.

I would go back and work there in a heartbeat if I was retired and looking for some discretionary income.

Things had changed in just the few years I have been there...when I first started it was great and management was very nice and caring, but then something happened higher up and priorities changed and working does feel like indentured servitude. There is no appreciation for workers and the "managers" also seem to be very unhappy. Looking at how it used to be is great but like everything, it has changed tremendously and only in just a few short years.

Things had changed in just the few years I have been there...when I first started it was great and management was very nice and caring, but then something happened higher up and priorities changed and working does feel like indentured servitude. There is no appreciation for workers and the "managers" also seem to be very unhappy. Looking at how it used to be is great but like everything, it has changed tremendously and only in just a few short years.

Yea I personally know a Disney fanatic that moved down there and was hired easily. Pretty much just pick any location unskilledish job.

Chose the Main Street store at MK. It went through XMAS (2AM closings etc) and one day short of 90 days-let go.

This individual was crushed, and knew more about the parks and how to treat guests than even the manager.

My guess is you are irrelevant, and there is process to try to get past 90 days somehow.

Could the individual not have been as good as I'm guessing-yes but pretty doubtful.

Just get the feeling they are not really keeping the best (even less skilled positions) like the old days I hear about.

Well, I was in a skilled position (Bus Driver) and Disney did spend some considerable money on training so my experience could be way different than a CM in an unskilled position. Unless I destroyed a bus while training, I never felt like I wouldn't make 90 days. I felt that my stay there would only be limited by my like for the job.

Again, that wasn't the Disney of now. My feelings haven't changed though, it was one of the best jobs I ever had.

Yea I personally know a Disney fanatic that moved down there and was hired easily. Pretty much just pick any location unskilledish job.

Chose the Main Street store at MK. It went through XMAS (2AM closings etc) and one day short of 90 days-let go.

This individual was crushed, and knew more about the parks and how to treat guests than even the manager.

My guess is you are irrelevant, and there is process to try to get past 90 days somehow.

Could the individual not have been as good as I'm guessing-yes but pretty doubtful.

Just get the feeling they are not really keeping the best (even less skilled positions) like the old days I hear about.
could it be they didn't realize they were hired for a seasonal position? My cousin has worked on and off for Disney her whole life, and now that she's retired she comes back and works over the holiday season because it's her favorite in the park. They keep her until the parks die down and then off she goes back home until the next holiday season, and it's never more than 3 months.

That statement shows that you have no vision for reality. Disney nor any other company can afford to pay people for doing nothing. Unfortunate, especially in Disney's or any other entertainment oriented company their need for employees has peaks and valleys based on the economy etc. much more than any other industry.

Being pro-worker is certainly something everybody should be but as far as prounion goes there time has passed and nowadays everything they do is take money from their members to pad the pockets of their executives.
Considering Disney doesn't pay a liveable wage and understaf
could it be they didn't realize they were hired for a seasonal position? My cousin has worked on and off for Disney her whole life, and now that she's retired she comes back and works over the holiday season because it's her favorite in the park. They keep her until the parks die down and then off she goes back home until the next holiday season, and it's never more than 3 months.

The workers need a stronger union and a corporation that appreciates all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!