Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Disney doesn't pay a liveable wage and understaf

The workers need a stronger union and a corporation that appreciates all do.
I never said anything about that, I was just referring to that post saying the person was let go right before 90 days after the holiday season. Having a union has nothing to do with what I commented.

could it be they didn't realize they were hired for a seasonal position? My cousin has worked on and off for Disney her whole life, and now that she's retired she comes back and works over the holiday season because it's her favorite in the park. They keep her until the parks die down and then off she goes back home until the next holiday season, and it's never more than 3 months.

It was def not advertised that way, but indeed there has to be a lot let go after a busy season. She ended up way better off in the long run anyway. Just not at WDW.

have you researched the hiring, starting hourly pay at Disney compared to other companies in the area?
I mean there's no liveable, starting wage anywhere really but Disney pays a lot more than most companies in Central Florida

Not really... but ok.

Disney also makes more than most as well. They could have easily immediately jumped to $15 an hour but chose not to. At the end of the day the bottom line is more important than any staff member or guest.

Not really... but ok.

Disney also makes more than most as well. They could have easily immediately jumped to $15 an hour but chose not to. At the end of the day the bottom line is more important than any staff member or guest.
Next year it'll be $15, right now it's $13

I just heard the WDW leaders have been calling furloughed O&T cast and have been telling them they don't know when they will be called back and to start looking for other jobs.
Can you expand? I don't know what "O&T" means.... but we may have a dear CM friend, affected :(.

Disney tried once to get rid of their American IT workers by making them train their replacement H-1B visa workers. Hope that isn't the route they are going again.

Can you expand? I don't know what "O&T" means.... but we may have a dear CM friend, affected :(.

Office & Technical, which is a blanket term for pretty much all hourly CMs that aren't unionized. The term can be misleading though, they're not all office jobs. Photopass photographers and Guest Relations hosts are O&T, for example.

I'm retired now 11+ years from a telephone company. Union worker represented by the CWA. Our contract had a no layoff provision for workers hired by a certain date. I feel bad for workers who don't have job protection agreements.

Disney needs to keep their workers working full shifts and provide a better rate of pay. I'm pro union and pro worker.
I agree unions help save jobs. In fact one union just stopped over 200 jobs from going to foreign worker. Tennessee Valley Authority, research it if you have a chance

I agree unions help save jobs. In fact one union just stopped over 200 jobs from going to foreign worker. Tennessee Valley Authority, research it if you have a chance

"Saves" jobs for as long as the business isn't forced to shut down for good and fire everyone because they needed to lay some people off and couldn't, you mean. Simply believing companies have infinite revenue streams and should never have to layoff workers doesn't make it reality.

Last edited:
Disney tried once to get rid of their American IT workers by making them train their replacement H-1B visa workers. Hope that isn't the route they are going again.

They didn't just try, they did. I had a coworker who worked in IT at Disney and said she trained her replacement then was let go.

"Saves" jobs for as long as the business sn't forced to shut down for good and fire everyone because they needed to lay some people off and couldn't, you mean. Simply believing companies have infinite revenue streams and should never have to layoff workers doesn't make it reality.
Was Disney forced to shut down in 2015 when they layed off 300 IT workers and replaced them with cheap foreign labor. Good paying American jobs gone to H-1B visas. Yep need that union😛

Unions were also responsible for the decline in American car manufacturing. Unions keep members by making sure their members are discontent with their working conditions. After all, a happy union worker isn't going to demand more from their employer and continue paying their union dues.

They didn't just try, they did. I had a coworker who worked in IT at Disney and said she trained her replacement then was let go.

Thanks. I thought they backed off after the news got out about their plans. Not the purpose of the H-1B visa program. It was designed to fill a need, no displace current workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!