layover trip to HK-DL

kac911

Mouseketeer
We have 2 long layovers in Hong Kong, 0730-1730 and 1000-1830, both Saturdays, in March and April, and wanting to use one to see Disneyland. Thinking of going the first one, figuring we will get 1000 (pre-rope drop) to about 1500 in the park (5 hours) vs. the other we'd probably get 1130-1600 (4.5 hours) and have to worry more about the plane arriving late.

My other questions are-
1) best place to buy tickets? Ahead of time or there, or does it really matter because we will likely have plenty of time?
2) it seems like they have a regular Disneyland style fastpass there, as well as the purchased one for the big rides, do you think it's worth investing in it? Hubby will do all the rides, I have some motion sickness so I won't do the crazy ones, so single rider lines (if they have them) are an option.
3) how specifically to get from the airport to DL and back again? If it matters, we are 2 adults.
4) If we leave the park at 1500 for a 1730 flight does that seem about right? Obviously I'd like to maximize time in the park but don't want to be cutting it too close. If it matters, we will be flying Cathay Dragon out.
5) as far as our carry on bags, is there a place to store at the airport or better to store at DL?
6) will we need to get any Hong Kong Dollar to make this happen?

Thanks!

KAC

1) Online is the best place. You can show the QR code at the turnstile
2) At this moment, only 2 rides have FPs: Space Mountain and Winnie the Pooh. I think they're doing away with it completely and go with the paid FPs. If you arrive pre-rope drop, I don't think you'll need it at all. None of the rides have single rider though.
3) The best way to get to the airport is take the S1 bus to Tung Chung and then take the MTR to Disneyland. There's an option to take the Airport Express to Tsing Yi and then the MTR to Disneyland but if you look at the MTR map, this is actually require backtracking and it's more expensive.
4) It should be fine. There aren't that many rides. Unless you want to watch Festival of the Lion King and/or Mickey and the Wondrous Book, I think you'll be done before 15:00
5) There are staffed lockers in Disneyland at the Promenade (You'll pass it if you walk from the MTR station to the park)
6) Probably. I don't know if the lockers take credit cards.

1. You could buy tickets at the booth but it'll probably save you a couple minutes to buy online and show the code at the turnstile.
2. Toy Soldier Parachute Drop actually has single rider. Winnie the Pooh should be your priority for fastpass in March. Antman will be open when you visit in April so that will be the priority for your second trip. We don't know if it will have FP or what the lines will look like but I would only think about buying FP during your second visit if this ride goes crazy.
3. Since you're two people it'll make more sense to take a taxi rather than do the airport express. Of course, you could also try the bus which will be cheaper but cut into your time at the park.
4. That time should be fine. Immigration in Hong Kong is relatively efficient.
5. I think there's hourly storage in Terminal 2. If you have only one piece of luggage, that'll probably be cheaper than daily rentals at Disneyland. However, if you have a few small bags, you may want to check out the lockers inside the park instead.
6. Yes. You'll need HKD starting from transportation from the airport.

The last 2 posters gave some good advice, so I’m just going to chime in a few things:

2. I have fairly bad motion sickness too. I’m fine on Grizzly Gulch, but get sick on space mountain. I don’t like to ride Iron Man because it makes me really dizzy. I won’t ride any of the Toy Story land rides because just looking at them makes it seem like they will make me sick.

3. While you can take the S1 (or S56) bus to Tung Chung and then the MTR, I would take a taxi in the interest of maximizing time. You can take a blue Lantau taxi from the airport and it will be the cheapest of the 3 taxis. I’ve found that Lantau taxis are not always waiting at Disney, so going back to the airport you mah have to take a green new territories taxi or a red one. The green ones will be slightly cheaper than the red ones.

6. Yes, get some HK dollars. Taxis are cash only. If you choose to take the bus/MTR, you need cash to buy tickets or an Octopus (reloadable transportation card). The bus requires exact change or Octopus. The ticket machines in the mtr will give you change, but I’ve seen them spit out lots and lots of coins, just FYI. Most places in Disney take cards, but some snack locations may not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!