Layovers, Connections & Strategies Oh My!

Disneytrippin'

DIS Veteran
Do you have a long layover and would like suggestions from people who know about your airport? Do you have a short layover and need to know how to maneuver through a particular airport so you don't miss your flight? This thread is dedicated to those with airport dilemmas and for those who have the experience to give the best advice.

I made this thread because we actually only have a 35 minute layover in SLC. Not knowing much about that airport or what to expect I am wanting to know if anyone thinks that is too short a layover?

My strategy is to book at least a 90 minute connection. And to be insistent about getting a free rechange if the airline changes its schedule so as to produce an uncomfortably short connection.

I made this thread because we actually only have a 35 minute layover in SLC. Not knowing much about that airport or what to expect I am wanting to know if anyone thinks that is too short a layover?
Did you book that connection knowingly? Or you had a longer connection and the airline shortened it? What airline? Who's traveling? Any mobility issues?

^^ I agree. The OP is asking a rather open-ended question. If you are making connections in Atlanta or Chicago and changing airlines, the answer will be different from staying with the same airline at a smaller airport like Akron or Flint. Apparently some people book fights without noticing the layover/connection information and then create an issue for themselves. At larger airports, connecting from a smaller aircraft to a larger one can involve a terminal change. Seasoned travelers know to look for these things when making reservations.

I booked the flight with enough of a layover. Since then Delta has changed the flight twice. Both legs are on Delta. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the SLC airport. I wound up calling directly. I was told that SLC is not a huge airport and with a short layover the flights would likely be on the same concourse,

I would pop over to FlyerTalk and look at the threads there about SLC. If it is concerning look at everything Delta offers and call them up with your concerns. They shortened my connection both ways on an MSP-ATL-MCO routing and I got booked on nonstops after I called them. Also ended up with much preferable travel times. I'm also travelling with a toddler and car seat, so a 45 minute connection that would have been fine for me seemed too tight for my family this trip.

35 min is too short. It will take you a good 12 -15 minutes to just get off the plane you are arriving on and most airlines start the boarding process 20-30 before the flight time. Heaven forbid your plane gets in late or there is not someone there to move the jetway to the plane quick enough which will eat in to your deplaning time. Dont expect to stop at the bathroom. Since you mentioned it a short flight I hope the plane you are arriving on is not one that does not allow carry on's and they have to be checked at the door and reclaimed at the door. That will be a big waste of your short time. Look to see what type of aircraft you are on. You might want to rethink a short layover. If the airline made a change to your flight and the connection is too short they usually are good about moving you to a different flight. I would call back and see about switching

35 min is too short. It will take you a good 12 -15 minutes to just get off the plane you are arriving on and most airlines start the boarding process 20-30 before the flight time. Heaven forbid your plane gets in late or there is not someone there to move the jetway to the plane quick enough which will eat in to your deplaning time. Dont expect to stop at the bathroom. Since you mentioned it a short flight I hope the plane you are arriving on is not one that does not allow carry on's and they have to be checked at the door and reclaimed at the door. That will be a big waste of your short time. Look to see what type of aircraft you are on. You might want to rethink a short layover. If the airline made a change to your flight and the connection is too short they usually are good about moving you to a different flight. I would call back and see about switching
TLDR;

Due to things out of your control, short connection times bad, longer connection times good. Call your airline and ask if they will switch your flights to avoid this short connection.

I made this thread because we actually only have a 35 minute layover in SLC. Not knowing much about that airport or what to expect
Oh. It's probably a better idea to ask the specific question(s) here. Airport information is usually readily available online, including airport maps - so passengers can make relatively educated decisions.

Example: if SLC had maybe four gates, a 30 minute connection might be okay. But no, it has 71 gates.
I am wanting to know if anyone thinks that is too short a layover?
idea
Like others said, yes.

I booked the flight with enough of a layover. Since then Delta has changed the flight twice. Both legs are on Delta. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the SLC airport. I wound up calling directly. I was told that SLC is not a huge airport and with a short layover the flights would likely be on the same concourse,
1) Look at Delta's schedule for that day and find a couple of options that will work for you. These can be direct, connecting through SLC, or connecting elsewhere. Don't worry about the price.
2) Call Delta back and tell them the connection is too tight and you will miss the flight. You would like to be put on (list the flight numbers you found in step one).

Delta has been more than accommodating every time this has happened to us.

1) Look at Delta's schedule for that day and find a couple of options that will work for you. These can be direct, connecting through SLC, or connecting elsewhere. Don't worry about the price.
2) Call Delta back and tell them the connection is too tight and you will miss the flight. You would like to be put on (list the flight numbers you found in step one).

Delta has been more than accommodating every time this has happened to us.

Im going to try this. Thanks!

Well, I am stuck with our flight. The other option is to fly into L.A. and have a whole extra 10 minutes to get to our next flight. Two different agents both told me that in this case SLC will put the arrival and departure connections in gates next to each other. I also bumped us up to Comfort level in seats behind first class with dedicated overhead storage. We deboard right after first class. Its the best I can do. Fingers crossed.

Well, I am stuck with our flight. The other option is to fly into L.A. and have a whole extra 10 minutes to get to our next flight. Two different agents both told me that in this case SLC will put the arrival and departure connections in gates next to each other. I also bumped us up to Comfort level in seats behind first class with dedicated overhead storage. We deboard right after first class. Its the best I can do. Fingers crossed.
So there's only two options for you to get from your originating airport to your destination? One through SLC and one through LA? If you post where you're going and when, we might be able to find you some other options.

From experience if you are flying a CRJ flight (Delta partner share code such as SkyWest unless you are transfering to another CRJ equiped flght do not have a very short layover. You will land outside of the lower level and use the airstairs where at the bottom you will get your gate checked carry on luggage off the shelf (backpacks and duffle bags can fit overhead but a standard size rolling carry on does not) and then proceed in the door of your "gate" to a covered walkway aka the wind tunnel where you will walk how ever many gates to the lobby waiting area going past the check in desk. From there if you are transfering to a non CRJ flight you will proceed to the esculator or elevator to proceed to the upper level of the airport. To get to Delta's gates on the upper level it is down a long hall way turn down another one till you get to the letter of your gate number from there you will go to your gate. Since SLC is a major hug for Delta there are 2 of them.
If you are flying on CRJ planes for both of your legs once you get to the lobby area have a seat or feel free to go use the restroom and possibly get something to eat.
If you fly on an Airbus or some of their Boeing equipment on both legs you could make it on a shorter layover though be prepared to book it if your gates are on different letters and at the far end for both of them. I believe Delta uses C and D so they are right near each other. Connection flights use E

Well, I am stuck with our flight. The other option is to fly into L.A. and have a whole extra 10 minutes to get to our next flight.
Did you look for other flights yourself? As opposed to ask someone over the phone?

You can mix and match, say, if there are three flight pairs connecting through the same airport you can pick out a first flight from one pair and a second flight from another pair.

So there's only two options for you to get from your originating airport to your destination? One through SLC and one through LA? If you post where you're going and when, we might be able to find you some other options.

We are flying out of GEG(Airbus 320) going to MCO. Both legs are on Delta and I purchased the Comfort level right behind First Class to get off the plane sooner. Since both flights are on Delta and not partner airlines the agents said that they put gates next to each other? I don't mind the idea of jumping right on the next plane, I just don't want to miss it!lol. We have a 7:35 dinner reservation and our flight lands at 3:41 p.m. The losangeles flight only gives us a 41 minute layover and then we arrive 2 hours later than the flight we already have booked. Seems like a bad idea given how much bigger LAX is.

Did you look for other flights yourself? As opposed to ask someone over the phone?

You can mix and match, say, if there are three flight pairs connecting through the same airport you can pick out a first flight from one pair and a second flight from another pair.
I did not look myself but, I am going to do that as well. I was given the option of two layovers from SLC but, they get us in 3 hours after our dinner reservations. Also my daughter has a real fear of flying so I am trying to keep the change of planes to a minimum. She gets anxiety just boarding the plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!