LC - Pancakes and Muffins

Faldred

DIS Veteran
I've been experimenting with a mix of carbalose flour, coconut flour, and flax seed meal to make a general flour replacement that is a good low-carb substitute for regular flour, and does not have overpowering coconut or flax taste.

The base mix seems to be a 4 : 1 : 1 ratio of carbalose flour : coconut flour : flax seed meal, and 3/4 cup of the mix replaces 1 cup of flour, due to the way coconut flour expands.

As such, the following recipes come out looking and tasting as close to "the real thing" as anything I've ever tried.

Pancakes

1 c. carbalose flour (19g)
1/4 c. coconut flour (2g*)
1/4 c. flax seed meal (0g)
1 T. baking powder (3g)
1/4 t. salt
2 c. "milk" (6g)
4 eggs (2.4g)
1 t. sugar-free vanilla
sweetener equal to 2 T. sugar (see below)

*The label shows a higher net carb count, but I've read that you can treat the effective carb count of coconut flour as 1g per 2 T.

"Milk": I like using Hood's "Calorie Countdown" milk, at 3g carbs per cup. If you don't have that available, use 1 c. heavy cream and 1 c. water for a negligible difference in carbs

Sweetener: 2 T Splenda (3g) will work, but I prefer 1 t. of fiber fit, which is a liquid zero-calorie sweetener.
Mix very carefully... the coconut flour has a tendency to "clump up", and you do not want any lumps in the batter. Once everything is well mixed, let it sit for a couple of minutes -- the coconut flour has a tendency to absorb liquid, so you may need to thin it out with some water at this point.

Make as you would regular pancakes.

Total carb count: 33 (36 if using Splenda)

Blueberry Muffins

1 c. carbalose flour (19g)
1/4 c. coconut flour (2g*)
1/4 c. flax seed meal (0g)
1 t. baking powder (1g)
1/4 t. salt
1 c. "milk" (3g)
4 eggs (2.4g)
1 t. sugar-free vanilla
1/2 c. blueberries (10.2g)
sweetener equal to 1 c. sugar (0g to 24g)

Mix all except blueberries, making sure there are no "lumps" of flour. Fold in blueberries and bake in muffin tin at 350 for appx. 25 minutes.

Yields: 12 muffins, appx. 3g per muffin (5g if using Splenda)

Mix very carefully... the coconut flour has a tendency to "clump up", and you do not want any lumps in the batter.

Follow-up -- it is definitely an issue with the coconut flour. I've started using a sifter on it, and that's made a huge amount of difference... no clumps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter