Le Creuset...

Mirielle

DIS Veteran
Is it worth the big price tag? Wanting a few new pieces of bake ware and have considered Le Creuset, but the price AND the weight are sky high. Could it possibly bake any better than Tramontina, Lodge or Staub?

I have a Dutch oven and an oval stoneware baking dish. Both were wedding gifts. I like them, they're very durable, but I can't say the stoneware bakes any better than those other brands.

I have a Tramontina and am about to purchase a Le Creuset or Staub. From what I've read, you get what you pay for here. The Tramontina was good for a while, but started chipping with slight interior deglazing/staining. I use it just about every time I cook (stovetop/oven), so need a better quality brand.

I only have one (shower gift 22 years ago), but I love it. It's still in great shape, and easy to clean.

Lucky you! Great to know it's held up so well for that period of time. :)

I have a Dutch oven and an oval stoneware baking dish. Both were wedding gifts. I like them, they're very durable, but I can't say the stoneware bakes any better than those other brands.

Again...lucky you! And yes, the dutch oven (most expensive item :() is what I'm needing.

I have a Tramontina and am about to purchase a Le Creuset or Staub. From what I've read, you get what you pay for here. The Tramontina was good for a while, but started chipping with slight interior deglazing/staining. I use it just about every time I cook (stovetop/oven), so need a better quality brand.

Ah...this is what I needed to hear. Thanks!

Try Homegoods or TJMaxx for a cheaper price! :thumbsup2

So glad you reminded me. I always forget to look there first.

We bought a Le Creuset dutch oven from Costco about 3-4 years ago and it came with a small fry pan. I love the dutch oven, its a snap to clean too.
I had a Rachel Ray one first, awful it would not come clean after 3 months.

I was just looking for another one and saw the special limited edition of The Beauty and The Beast Soup pot, Omg its beautiful. it was $280 on the Le Creuset sight, but sold out.
Went to eBay tons for sale in the $350-$400 range, needless to say I didn't get one. But Le Creuset had a place to put your name on the list to get one when and if I guess they restock it.

I have many pieces of Le Crueset. Some gifts, some I bought and Williams Sonoma and some from the Outlet, which is the best deal. I love them all and we use them almost daily for part of our meal. They clean very easily and look great for years.

I have two Le Creuset dutch ovens and love them. I found one of them at Marshall's for a really good price so I would suggest checking out places like that.

Is it worth the big price tag? Wanting a few new pieces of bake ware and have considered Le Creuset, but the price AND the weight are sky high. Could it possibly bake any better than Tramontina, Lodge or Staub?

Won't the weight be the same as the Lodge? (Don't know the composition of the other brands you mention, but cast iron is cast iron, I would think.)

I've used a Le Creuset, Lodge and some FoodTV chef's name branded cast iron Dutch oven. The LC has been the best; I like the straight sides, and the other two brands seemed to pick up stains and scrapes more easily.

But ... it's not like anyone will be able to taste the difference between a $50 Dutch oven and a $300 one. (I love my LC but it was a gift.)

(I'm also a person who gave up on the hassle of trying to cook with expensive SS sauté pans *or* cast iron, and I like my $30 T-fal hard anodized skillets. And then they go in the dishwasher.)

We have a complete collection of LC! I have at least 30 pieces. I love it but in the last few years have switched housing things that are dishwasher friendly and the LC is basically a decoration. It is high quality and holds up well. After owing it he last 15 years I just don't like hand washing...

Whether I would suggest it depends on what you want to do with it. I have one and use it for baking certain things it really does well at. I don't use it on the stove top. So if someone is reading and they're just going to buy one decently large pot for everything a large pot is needed for, I'd suggest a different product entirely.
I own a Staub (pronounced Stobe) and have found it performs as good as a le creuset at about the same price or just a bit less. The Handles on my Staub are rated to 500. Some le creuset handles are rated to just 375 (or possibly less if you buy an older one from a garage sale.) But you can buy handles rated to 500 for nearly any le creuset. So if yours doesn't already have them, pay the $15 or so extra to get them (or it as the case may be)
If you want a cheaper, product, I'd suggest the Lodge. Under no circumstances would I get a Tramontina.
You didn't mention it but under no circumstances would I purchase a Martha Stewart collection and would be very wary of any cookware with a celebrity name on it.

Last edited:
I have the Tramontina, and while it's perfectly sufficient, it is HARD to clean and chips easily. I had an old Staub while I lived in France, and that thing was bulletproof. Wish I'd brought it back with me, but it was just too heavy.

I have a large collection of Le Creuset and Staub that I've purchased over the years. My oldest pieces are over 35 years old!

You can find them on sale at Sur La Table or Bloomingdales.

Costco carried pieces under their Kirkland brand that were made by Staub. They have some Fontignac (owned by Staub) on their website now and usually carry more pieces once the holidays get here. Some years Costco will carry LeCreuset at Christmas.

LeCreuset and Staub are made in France and not in China like most other brands.

I don't trust most things made in China.

I was lucky enough to inherit a set of le creuset including the large Dutch oven. The set hasn't to be at least 30 years old (if not older) and no chips cracks or anything. If you like to cook I always recommend the best you can afford- cheap stuff has to replaced frequently but the goodness stuff lasts forever. I use my LC several times a week. I also have a Lodge pan that I love. Yes you can develop some good arm muscles lifting a full pan lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter