Leaky Cauldron for picky eaters and other HP experiences

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
I'd love for my kids to experience the Leaky Cauldron, but the menu sounds a bit too adventurous for them. They'd love a Ploughman's, if it consisted only of tons of crusty bread and cheese with maybe some very American fruit. Would it be worthwhile to just share a couple desserts, if we're not interested in the breakfast or lunch menus?

What other non-ride experiences might we be missing? We enjoy the Feast at the 3 Broomsticks; we have interactive wands (my biggest HP fan was chosen by a wand); we've had ice cream, chocolate frogs, and of course butterbeer (although I'm the only one who actually drinks it); we always eat every flavor beans while waiting for the Hogwarts Express; we've heard moaning myrtle; and we all go through the FJ queue, including those not planning on riding. This will be our first trip since the evening lights began. We can never seem to catch the shows, but is there one that's especially worthwhile?

Please help me add things to my list of HP experiences, especially for my teenager who can't do FJ or Gringotts.

I'd love for my kids to experience the Leaky Cauldron, but the menu sounds a bit too adventurous for them. They'd love a Ploughman's, if it consisted only of tons of crusty bread and cheese with maybe some very American fruit. Would it be worthwhile to just share a couple desserts, if we're not interested in the breakfast or lunch menus?

What other non-ride experiences might we be missing? We enjoy the Feast at the 3 Broomsticks; we have interactive wands (my biggest HP fan was chosen by a wand); we've had ice cream, chocolate frogs, and of course butterbeer (although I'm the only one who actually drinks it); we always eat every flavor beans while waiting for the Hogwarts Express; we've heard moaning myrtle; and we all go through the FJ queue, including those not planning on riding. This will be our first trip since the evening lights began. We can never seem to catch the shows, but is there one that's especially worthwhile?

Please help me add things to my list of HP experiences, especially for my teenager who can't do FJ or Gringotts.

Definitely try to catch the Diagon Alley shows - they are great! The Hogsmeade shows are just so-so. Have you had a good look for all the little movie "easter eggs" hidden in the shops?

ETA: Universal ran a scavenger hunt during this year's Celebration of Harry Potter - you could do something like that for your kids...https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/even-more-magic-coming-cohp2018/

Last edited:
The ploughman's is definitely not bland. I would not suggest it. I don't even remember it having a "normal" cheese. If it had cheddar, it would have been a strong English cheddar, ie sharp. My husband and I really enjoyed it though. Do your kids like mac n cheese or chicken fingers? Both Leaky Cauldron and 3 Broomsticks have mac n cheese, and 3 Broomsticks has chicken fingers. My son is terribly picky, and those are about all he will eat there, besides butterbeer:)

My kids are well into their teens, but they still order the kids' meals at Leaky Cauldron/3 Broomsticks, because they don't like the other choices. The kdis meals are definitely good deals, and more palate-friendly.

Then there's me, who has to buy a Diet Coke and 'sneak' it into the Wizarding World... ;)

Send a postcard in Hogsmeade via Owl Post. Did you read the sticky at the top? Lots of cool nooks and crannies to explore!

Call me mean but I would tell the picky eaters to find something. If they wind up not eating a bunch, they won't die from missing one meal. I;d have them share one meal- like a chicken sandwich, cottage pie or do a kids order of mac and cheese. Then add on some desserts. Here's a more detailed menu with descriptions https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/leaky-cauldron

Send a postcard in Hogsmeade via Owl Post. Did you read the sticky at the top? Lots of cool nooks and crannies to explore!

Call me mean but I would tell the picky eaters to find something. If they wind up not eating a bunch, they won't die from missing one meal. I;d have them share one meal- like a chicken sandwich, cottage pie or do a kids order of mac and cheese. Then add on some desserts. Here's a more detailed menu with descriptions https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/leaky-cauldron

Thanks for mentioning the sticky. I missed it. Lots of good ideas there.

I just don't want to waste money on uneaten food. Sharing is a good idea. They don't necessarily like kid food, they just like plain food. The 3 Broomsticks Great Feast is exactly the kind of meal we like.

The first time we ever tried Leaky Cauldron, we just popped in at a non-busy time and ordered butterbeer and other specialty drinks. It was great to soak it all in.

The Tales of Beetle Bard is pretty cool.

You can also just go to the Leaky Cauldron and just order some fries [or the grilled cheese as mentioned above] ! I would definitely do that or just order dessert...to me their food is more "English" than Three Broomsticks and may be less appealing to picky eaters. My kids on the other hand will eat ANYTHING!!! My son ate the black pudding and later found out what is was and was freaked out but still says it tasted fine....ewwww... LOL

My daughter is a pretty picky eater as well. When we visited last year she had just turned 8 and I thought she would definitely go for the kids mac & cheese, but she surprised me and asked for the fish and chips. She ended up loving them and ordered them again at the Three Broomsticks.

I've ordered the kids fish & chips there because it is the right size for me. I'm a picky eater too and the ploughman's meal does not appeal to me at all. i do like he cottage pie too.

The kids' menu is pretty limited too. Maybe we'll go for snack (split a kids' fish and chips and I'll eat the fish :) ) or dessert just for the atmosphere.

I second trying the fish and chips. That’s what we ordered for our picky eaters. It is very similar to Captain Dees. We also like the feast at the Three Broomsticks as well. I completely understand what you mean by simple verses kids foods.

The picky eaters also surprised me by liking the cottage pie which was basically just a pot pie made with ground beef. I didn’t care for it, but they liked it. Ground beef is familiar to them (spaghetti meat, taco meat, hamburgers), so they liked it.

You could also try going for breakfast instead. Pretty standard American breakfast options, pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter