Leaving a child in Oceaneer's during an excursion

Just FYI, maybe it's changed but we were NOT able to book the nursery online for our three year old. We got an error that she was too old. It's possible we would have been able to book her on board or if we called but we couldn't do it online.
It let us book her online, no problem. It has her name bold as the only one in our party as able to be signed up for Nursery, since she is only one the right age. We are all set.

It let us book her online, no problem. It has her name bold as the only one in our party as able to be signed up for Nursery, since she is only one the right age. We are all set.

That’s good. I have no idea why we weren’t able to but it was three years ago so who knows. Might have saved us a bit of grief but oh well.

Our daughter was almost 4 on our first cruise and she actually insisted on being left in the kids club and would throw tantrums when we came to take her out. Now she has been going to full time day care since she was 6 weeks old so she is very independent and that probably has something to do with it.

We took her on our first excursion and she was so miserable on it that we ended up leaving her on the ship for the rest of our excursions. The staff took our number so they could call us if needed. I think all kids are going to react differently to the experience but if your kid loves it you shouldn’t feel bad about leaving.

I think my daughter will love the nursery, and all the attention she will receive there. She's quite the extrovert, she'll love people doing crafts with her, etc. I hear that I am outlier here in leaving her. But she is going on other excursions with us. This is just the one chance for my teenagers to get to do something as a family that isn't dictated by the 3 year old and her needs. She joined us through adoption at age 2 and over the past 2 years, my big kids have sacrificied A LOT for their sister. Life is not the same for them anymore, and I hated the idea of us not getting to experience the glacier walk tour they wanted to all do together, because of their sister. They regularly have to give up what they want to do b/c of her. For us, it's worth it to have this one sweet day together with our big kids, and give them the attention they haven't been getting when she is around. I said I wasn't going to share more, but sometimes there is just more to the story of why families make certain choices. I feel grateful for getting more info here about the Club and about the Nursery. It's great to know how they operate and what to expect, so that I could make the decision that is right for our family.

That’s good. I have no idea why we weren’t able to but it was three years ago so who knows. Might have saved us a bit of grief but oh well.
That may have been during the time where the nursery was for "UNDER 3 years old". They've relaxed it now. They want 3 year olds to try Oceaneer's first, but, if it's not do-able, they can use the nursery.

Maybe. I seem to recall it said for 0-3 but we couldn’t register my oldest. It doesn’t matter now anyway as my youngest will be 5 by the time we sail.

I think my daughter will love the nursery, and all the attention she will receive there. She's quite the extrovert, she'll love people doing crafts with her, etc. I hear that I am outlier here in leaving her. But she is going on other excursions with us. This is just the one chance for my teenagers to get to do something as a family that isn't dictated by the 3 year old and her needs. She joined us through adoption at age 2 and over the past 2 years, my big kids have sacrificied A LOT for their sister. Life is not the same for them anymore, and I hated the idea of us not getting to experience the glacier walk tour they wanted to all do together, because of their sister. They regularly have to give up what they want to do b/c of her. For us, it's worth it to have this one sweet day together with our big kids, and give them the attention they haven't been getting when she is around. I said I wasn't going to share more, but sometimes there is just more to the story of why families make certain choices. I feel grateful for getting more info here about the Club and about the Nursery. It's great to know how they operate and what to expect, so that I could make the decision that is right for our family.
She'll have her special times with just you guys when her older siblings are grown. I think it's important that each child feel special, and yes, olders sometimes get the shaft in favour of the youngers. It's a tough one, in these circumstances, but we all have to make choices sometimes. Nothing wrong with your decision.

Just so you have more evidence that other people have done this successfully too, we left our 18m in the nursery in Alaska last summer while we took our older kids on a excursion. No issues and no concerns from the staff.

Is anyone leaving a child in Oceaneers Club / Lab while they go on a shore excursion? Or has done this in the past? I have a 3 year old that we plan to leave back while we go a Glacier Adventure tour. We did not book through Disney. I feel slightly weird about leaving her on the ship without a way to reach me.

Also, I read that if your child has an accident you can't put them back in the club for 24-48 hours. And that you get called to pick them up. My daughter has been potty trained for a year, but she's 3, 4 this summer and so she does have an accident every now and then (like maybe once every 3-4 months b/c she's playing and waits to long or something like that).
I wouldn't be able to enjoy the excursion. My mind would be on my daughter the entire time. Nope...couldn't do it, just the thought of it gets me upset.

Just curious, is leaving your child in Kids Club or Nursery while you leave the ship on an excursion "allowed" by Disney or just done on the sly by people?

Just curious, is leaving your child in Kids Club or Nursery while you leave the ship on an excursion "allowed" by Disney or just done on the sly by people?​

Allowed!

(I would never have done it if it wasn't allowed.)

I'd definitely be more likely to do it in Alaska because I'd be less concerned about being able to receive any phone calls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter