Lego Cinderella's Castle

Amazon always marks up Legos higher for some reason. Only time I can think that they ever went below list price were the dimensions figures

That's just not true for currently released products. Only exclusives are at list. Most are at or below msrp.

Now, if you're talking about 3rd party sellers at Amazon then all bets are off.

Typically, if the item is sold by Amazon directly, it's normal price, or pretty close to it. Sometimes even on sale. The ones on Amazon that are marked up quite a lot are usually sold by marketplace sellers, and a lot of them are either sets that have been retired, have become hard to find, or sets that are not offered to Amazon directly (some are Lego exclusive, some Lego and Toys R Us, some Lego and Target, etc.). At the moment, brickset.com is showing this as a Lego exclusive set, so the only place to get it at regular retail price will be a Lego Store or the Lego Store online. I read something that indicated that the Disney Store might also have it. There are already eBay listings for $549 and up, which is kind of crazy, given this thing doesn't come out for another 6-7 weeks. My guess is there will be a rush when it releases from the big Lego/Disney fans, and they might run out of stock for a few weeks, but it will come back in stock and be available for a while. For those who want one, I don't think getting one will be a problem, but it might involve a little bit of patience. Now, in a few years, after Lego has retired the set, I think this will fetch quite a lot of money on the secondary market, similar to other very large sets aimed at adults (look up Lego Taj Majal or Lego Millennium Falcon UCS).

If you want the set box to be likely creased, crushed and generally beat up, Amazon is the way to go.

For those interested in getting it, shop.lego.com is probably your best bet (when it's released in Sept).

Amazon can set the box on fire for all I care as long as the pieces are ok. The minute I get home with this or get it delivered its getting put together, can't wait for sept 1st!!!

For those also interested, the Disney minifigures have become difficult to find; it really depends on the region you're in.

Anyway, if you want to populate your new plastic castle with Peter Pan, Alice, Cheshire Cat, et al, you may start seeking them out sooner rather than later, as those prices are certain to escalate.

Amazon always marks up Legos higher for some reason. Only time I can think that they ever went below list price were the dimensions figures

I'm currently looking at a 860 piece set for my daughter. Regular price was $89.99. Local target had it on clearance for $76.99. Amazon is currently selling it for $73.89.

For those also interested, the Disney minifigures have become difficult to find; it really depends on the region you're in.

Anyway, if you want to populate your new plastic castle with Peter Pan, Alice, Cheshire Cat, et al, you may start seeking them out sooner rather than later, as those prices are certain to escalate.

Good point. If they follow their normal schedule, the next series will be coming out around September 1, which means at that point, whatever Disney minifigs are out there are probably all that are left.

These high dollar collectors pieces usually do go up in value in the long run but Lego tends to keep them in production for a while. The $400 Death Star was released in 2008 and Lego just recently retired it.

The sets in the Lego Ideas line are the ones that tend to sell out "quick" and shoot up in value.

The modular buildings do OK too. I had sets I paid less than $250. I sold them opened about 2 years later for $750.

The thing about Lego is that they don't follow a pattern. The Death Star was an insane run, and is really an exception. Most large sets last 2-3 years, but even those can come and go quickly. Being a unique prestige piece (i.e. a single huge blast to one particular theme), I equate this set most closely to the Tumbler, the Ghostbusters Firehouse and the Helicarrier. The Helicarrier came out in March 2015 and the Firehouse in January 2016 - both are still available. The Tumbler came out March 2015 and retired January 2016 - only 10 months. You'll have at least some time to pick this up for sure.

If it's available, you might want to time buying it during Lego's Black Friday sale. You'll likely get a cool holiday set as a freebie, if not other stuff as well. Even if it's backordered, you can still usually get the deals, just might not be there by xmas.

^ Yeah, I think you missed the "SOLD" banner in that listing, cause in this case they were one and the same.

Last edited:
Okay, I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion on what "expensive" is when it comes to LEGOs. :rolleyes2

I have a $50 Jurassic World set and the entire set of Disney minifigures, I know what LEGOs cost. It's still a nice chunk of change for plastic blocks even if that's the "going rate", ya dig?

They're all over ebay, that's how I finished my set.

So excited for this! I have never spent that much on one set, but DH is a huge Lego fan and has his Big Bang Theory, Dr Who, Ghostbusters, and such sets in display cases in his man cave so sure I can have just one set ;)
We weren't into Harry Potter when it was first out and now that we are reading the books with the kids, all those Lego sets are crazy priced on Amazon. I definitely don't want to miss this at retail price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter