Legoland and US pre/post DL ABD?

TXAKDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
DH and I are doing the DLR and S Cali ABD in early August. We’re driving the kids up to gma’s house (N of Santa Barbara) first, doing the ABD, and then spending 5 additional nights at DLR with the kids.

One of our kids has a bday during our trip, and he’s also had a rough time with some health issues. He *really* wants to go to Legoland and stay at the Legoland Hotel, so we were looking at staying a couple nights. We’ve never been to Legoland, and I have no idea how long we should spend there. (Kids are 11, 6, 3, 2.) I’ve heard LL is best for younger kids, but DD11 loves legos (and she can suck it up for a couple days).

If one park day at LL is enough, should we look at doing a day at the safari park also? I’ve been to the San Diego Zoo 4 or 5 times (our 3 oldest kids have also been, but prob only DD11 remembers), but never the safari park.

Will LL be “disappointing” after 9 days at DL? Should we look at doing LL (and the safari park) BEFORE Hollywood/ABD/DLR?

Additionally, we prob need to get to the LA area a day or two early for our ABD (plus driving the kids up north). I’ve been to Hollywood and US, but it was a long time ago. If DH has been to either, he has no recollection. We’ve been to US Florida several times, including spending several days spent mostly in the WWoHP in the last year (although we had the kids with us and had to switch off riding rides). I know US Hollywood’s WWoHP is smaller than in FL. Is it still worth DH spending a (childless) day at US? Or should we find things to do in Hollywood (that aren’t covered in the ABD)?

We’ve never been to Legoland, and I have no idea how long we should spend there.
Normally, I would say one day is plenty, but I would allow for 2 since you are going in August. Besides Legoland they have a small aquarium and a toddler water park. I would probably do one night at Legoland Hotel with 2 days of the parks. If you do decide to stay a couple nights, there's a lot of other stuff to do in the San Diego area.

If one park day at LL is enough, should we look at doing a day at the safari park also? I’ve been to the San Diego Zoo 4 or 5 times (our 3 oldest kids have also been, but prob only DD11 remembers), but never the safari park.
August is probably the worst time to go to the Safari park. It's very hot there and you have to do a lot of walking. Even though I love it, I don't recommend taking young kids there in August.

Will LL be “disappointing” after 9 days at DL? Should we look at doing LL (and the safari park) BEFORE Hollywood/ABD/DLR?
Legoland will be a big letdown after Disneyland. If you can do it at the beginning of your trip, do it that way.

Not sure about Universal Studios. I feel like it's a go once and not again for 20 years kind of place. If there is anything else you'd rather do, I think you should do that instead. It really depends on what you like to do. If you are mostly interested in doing the backlot tour, it's worth going, but if you are going for the amusement park aspect, I don't recommend.

Normally, I would say one day is plenty, but I would allow for 2 since you are going in August. Besides Legoland they have a small aquarium and a toddler water park. I would probably do one night at Legoland Hotel with 2 days of the parks. If you do decide to stay a couple nights, there's a lot of other stuff to do in the San Diego area.

August is probably the worst time to go to the Safari park. It's very hot there and you have to do a lot of walking. Even though I love it, I don't recommend taking young kids there in August.

Legoland will be a big letdown after Disneyland. If you can do it at the beginning of your trip, do it that way.

Not sure about Universal Studios. I feel like it's a go once and not again for 20 years kind of place. If there is anything else you'd rather do, I think you should do that instead. It really depends on what you like to do. If you are mostly interested in doing the backlot tour, it's worth going, but if you are going for the amusement park aspect, I don't recommend.

I think my 3yo saw some YouTube videos about the Legoland Hotel, and he primarily wants to be there. If we can do LegoLand in one day, I think we’d prob spend 2 nights at the LL hotel, and drive to other area attractions. We have amusement parks and lots of water parks (plus splash pads, pools,...) where we live, so I’m not as concerned about visiting a water park in CA. LL before our tour and DLR sounds like the way to go.

How hot is “very hot”? At home August averages 98° daytime (with 65% humidity and overnight lows of 75°). We’re also fairly used to WDW in July. (Asking bc what’s bearable to us is far too hot for lots of people, and I’m sure others can stand temps higher than we can.)

I only have faint memories of USH. We do like US Florida, but haven’t been going much since having kids since it’s not super toddler-friendly (usually just spend all our time in FL on-site at WDW). Like I said before, we did go (particularly to see the WWoHP) a couple times last year but DH and I couldn’t ride rides together. Idk if USH will feel too small since we’re “used to” USF? (For ref, we prefer islands of adventure over the universal studios park.)

ETA: I think the backlot tour would be one of the main interest points for us. I’d rather spend the majority of our time at USH seeing/riding attractions that aren’t available at USF.

How hot is “very hot”? At home August averages 98° daytime (with 65% humidity and overnight lows of 75°). We’re also fairly used to WDW in July. (Asking bc what’s bearable to us is far too hot for lots of people, and I’m sure others can stand temps higher than we can.)
I was specifically speaking about the Safari Park. It is normally a dry heat like a desert. It should be in the high 90's in August. There is a lot walking in the sun and the line for the tram tour can be very long, but they often offer a pay for front of the line for that. If you have hats, carry cool drinks the whole time and don't mind standing in lines, walking around a lot, you can probably handle the heat based on what you are used to. Just remember it is a desert heat (which I prefer to humidity) and you can dry out. Stay hydrated.

I've never been to US in Florida, so I cannot give you any comparison on that.

You will be let down by LL, so I'd do it first if possible. The kids may not be. My boys have at various time (now 10 and 12) preferred Legoland over DL, and they love the hotel. As for USH, most of the rides are very similar (same franchises, slightly different ride tracks) as at USF. Hogsmeade is very similar with only some variations in Forbidden Journey. If you often go to USF there are not really many differences that will impress other than the Backlot Tour. That is unique to USF, but it's only about an hour of your time (if the lines aren't crazy) so it might not be worth it to you. If the Jurassic World ride is open by then that would be another draw, but as far as I know they haven't released an opening date. The rumor is summer so it's possible if they're on time.

I agree with others, nothing compares to DL. But a lego fan would definitely enjoy legoland, and US is also worth a visit. I think one day for each is plenty, though.

I think you'll be fine with the heat if you're used to high summer temps.

We booked LL for before DL. Still not sure about USH (I might go later in the year with a friend). Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter