Length of Vacation?

Ideal length of vacation is truly dictated by how long I'm able to take off of work.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

If you live in the US, a good portion of the country doesn't get as much vacation time as they need (some people get 0 time off, others you get vacation based on years worked, some are other amounts of time). For a decent amount of international visitors to the US (we'll say Disney, since this is a Disney board) they have countries that actually appreciate the work people do and give them ample time to get away from work.

The ideal length of a vacation will vary between everyone.

We used to do 7-10 days when going to WDW; 5 nights when visiting Las Vegas many times and now just three days when we go to northern Michigan.

Ideal length of vacation is truly dictated by how long I'm able to take off of work..

Yup. I wish the trip dictated the amount of time off I get. But how much time I can get off is what determines how long my trips are. And how many hours of vacation I have on the books doesn't matter. One week is about the max.
Although last year was different. Due to a change in management, there was a huge push to get everyone to zero vacation carry over hours, which is official corporate policy. But I'm in California, and that is illegal. The law here says employees have to be allowed to carry over a "reasonable" amount of vacation time, and the example of reasonable cited is 200 hours! So a lot of folks got a week or two of vacation off in December and January, with only a few days notice. Too late to plan a trip.

Length of vacation really depends on where. Disney, I'm good with 5 days. I've gone for 2.5 (quick trip but I really wish I had at least one more day) and 10 days (way too long, lots of rain). I go there often though. Europe I like right around week but I do live on the east coast so the plane ride isn't too bad and the time change seems to work in my favor.
I would love to go to Hawaii but I do think I'd have to be gone for at least 2 weeks and that's just too long for me. It's a long trip to get there and I feel like the time change would be difficult .
When it starts getting over a week I miss be my life at home

Once in a while a weekend trip but usually our vacations are 9-10 days no matter whether it is Disney, a cruise, or some type of trip visiting various cities in the US. I know no matter how long you are gone when you get back to work it feels like you never left except for the piles of work but the time we take feels like the perfect length as it is not too long but not too short either especially with usually leaving the dog in the kennel.

Last edited:
In one city, I hit a wall at 8 days. If I'm moving around, I'd say a month or so. If it's an international or cross country flight, I wouldn't go for less than a full week.

Local camping or semi close destination, 3-4 nights.

I think about 10 days is my max for now.

We were gone 11 days for Alaskan cruise and while I didn't feel the vacation was too long, being away from our house and 3 dogs is stressful and things go wrong.

Grass has to be cut, dogs need to have someone trustworthy stay with them, our houses air conditioner broke down and we had to deal with that long distance, the internet stopped working and we had to troubleshoot that, etc etc.

Since we live in FL I really enjoy vacations with no travel time- ie port canaveral

5 days max for me and I'm bored and want to get back to work. Wife takes several each year for a month at a time and and a week each month here and there. She likes to travel. I'll meet her during that time but get just don't like to be away that long.

Length of vacation really depends on where. Disney, I'm good with 5 days. I've gone for 2.5 (quick trip but I really wish I had at least one more day) and 10 days (way too long, lots of rain). I go there often though. Europe I like right around week but I do live on the east coast so the plane ride isn't too bad and the time change seems to work in my favor.
I would love to go to Hawaii but I do think I'd have to be gone for at least 2 weeks and that's just too long for me. It's a long trip to get there and I feel like the time change would be difficult .
When it starts getting over a week I miss be my life at home

We are on the East Coast as well and I don't remember having too hard a time in Hawaii with the time difference but it's been 5 years. We did a NCL cruise that leaves from Oahu that is 7 days but we flew in the day before and stayed a day over. We got to see a lot and liked it better than when we went on our honeymoon and stayed on Oahu for 3 days and then took the interisland flight to Maui for 3 days and then another interisland flight to the Big Island.

We are on the East Coast as well and I don't remember having too hard a time in Hawaii with the time difference but it's been 5 years. We did a NCL cruise that leaves from Oahu that is 7 days but we flew in the day before and stayed a day over. We got to see a lot and liked it better than when we went on our honeymoon and stayed on Oahu for 3 days and then took the interisland flight to Maui for 3 days and then another interisland flight to the Big Island.

Thanks. That's good to know. There's just something about the whole thing that feels overwhelming so in my mind I feel like i'd need at least two weeks. Perhaps I should rethink it.

As long as I can! ;)

More accurately, Vegas, WDW and the Maldives all command 14 - 16 nights being so far away; Venice or the Italian Lakes 7 nights; Paris 3 or 4 nights and Torquay (just around the corner in England) a couple of nights.

10 days is ideal. I discovered a couple years ago 2 weeks was too long. However if I was going somewhere out of the country that required 20+ hour flights each way I would probably do at least 2 weeks.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

If you live in the US, a good portion of the country doesn't get as much vacation time as they need (some people get 0 time off, others you get vacation based on years worked, some are other amounts of time). For a decent amount of international visitors to the US (we'll say Disney, since this is a Disney board) they have countries that actually appreciate the work people do and give them ample time to get away from work.

The ideal length of a vacation will vary between everyone.

It wouldn't be a thread on the DIS about vacations without some random comment about how much US companies hate their workers. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be a thread on the DIS about vacations without some random comment about how much US companies hate their workers. :rolleyes:

Did I ever say that? No. I just stated that in the US, we typically don't get as much time off as other countries around the world. Depending on the job you have in the US, you could have a ton or no time off, so yeah.

Given the nature of the topic, this part of the discussion should come up. Don't like it, tough, it's a part of it.

Off hand I say 10 days sounds great. Of course I am lucky to get a week off. I just tried to get 2 days off and was denied. I am just THAT important I guess.

Did I ever say that? No. I just stated that in the US, we typically don't get as much time off as other countries around the world. Depending on the job you have in the US, you could have a ton or no time off, so yeah.

Given the nature of the topic, this part of the discussion should come up. Don't like it, tough, it's a part of it.

Yep. We can afford to take more trips than we get time off. We'd take twice as many trips as we do if we had the vacation time.

So far this year I've done:

4 week trip to Tanzania and UAE
4 week trip to Colombia
And I'm just completing a 4 week West Coast road trip

So I guess my answer is 4 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter