Lesser known movies directly related to WDW and the Resorts themes?

MicheyMouse

Mouseketeer
While this relates to movies to watch while you are excitedly awaiting your vacation departure, I'm specifically asking for lesser known movies directly related to what you see in the parks and resorts as themes or characters. Please connect them to the locations unless they are just too general or obvious.

Please avoid the obvious ones like Cinderella and Toy Story.

For example, we stayed at CSR and I was very disappointed that I hadn't watched Three Caballeros before going. I vaguely remember tiny clips of it as a kid, but do not recall the entire movie. The characters are a recurring decoration throughout CSR.

What are some of the lesser known ones related to WDW themes used?

I'm sure lots of people know but one of the themes that I wasn't aware of until after I had ridden and looked it up:

Splash Mountain is based on the movie "Song of the South". I think most would recognize the song "Zip-a-dee-doo-daw" but I had no idea what movie it was from.

Oh, there are probably more than I could name. A lot of times the references are pretty subtle.

One good one for you is that Journey into Imagination has tons of references to "Medfield College" and the movies that take place there, like "The Computer Wore Tennis Shows" (note the pair of tennis shoes on the floor in the computer room scene). These are the Kurt Russell "Dexter Riley" films plus The Absent Minded Professor (Flubber) films. Flubber is more known because of the remake with Robin Williams, but the others are pretty obscure these days!

In Frontierland at MK, there is a small snack location called Westward Ho which is a reference to the 1956 film "Westward Ho The Wagons!", an old Disney western starring Fess Parker. There is also a shop called Westward Ho at Disneyland, but it is a pin trading store.

That's all I can think of right now. Sometimes I know them when I see them, but recalling them is another matter.

Last edited:

How could I forget the "king of the wild frontier"? He's a 'given' when I think of Frontierland, so I guess that's why I didn't include him.

Well, right. Davy Crockett was the show from the "Disneyland" show that represented Frontierland before it was even built. I always smile when I hear the theme song instrumental in the music loop.

I got to poking around, and in the "film came after" category, Disney did make a movie based on Pecos Bill in 1995 with Patrick Swayze. I had forgotten about that one. Obviously Pecos Bill isn't strictly a Disney character but they put hteir stamp on him I guess. I kinda want to see it now.

Have you seen Fantasia?

These:
disneys-all-star-movies-resort-12704.jpg
(All Star Resort)

and these:
DSC04539.jpg
(DHS)

are from that, as well as a whole mini golf course.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious now, but one of the viewing "tasks" we found the hardest in our prep was finding classic cartoons of the Fab Five et al. We were staying at WL and realized the girls had no idea who Chip and Dale were. I was surprised to find how hard it was, either on Netflix/Amazon Prime or the local library, to find classic Disney cartoons. A handful, sure, but not much. It wound up being Youtube to the rescue, and any time we didn't have time for a feature before bed we'd just watch a short.

There are also some movies that only get the most oblique of references: e.g. I wished we'd shown them the Music Man when we walked into Main Street USA and songs from it were playing. Also Meet Me in St Louis.

There are also some movies that only get the most oblique of references: e.g. I wished we'd shown them the Music Man when we walked into Main Street USA and songs from it were playing. Also Meet Me in St Louis.

Interestingly "The Music Man" and "Meet Me in St. Louis" aren't even Disney films. While the latter most definitely influenced Main street USA, "The Music Man" didn't even exist until 1957, after Disneyland was created. I might say Main Street USA influenced it.

In other non-Disney references, The Jungle Cruise is heavily influenced by "The African Queen." I suppose with Disney making an official Jungle Cruise movie, the association may lessen, but it certainly originated there.

By the way, this thread is super fun and educational. Most of the facts I am stating I am just learning now when I look this stuff up. Thank you, Wikipedia!

Last edited:
I got to poking around, and in the "film came after" category, Disney did make a movie based on Pecos Bill in 1995 with Patrick Swayze. I had forgotten about that one. Obviously Pecos Bill isn't strictly a Disney character but they put hteir stamp on him I guess. I kinda want to see it now.

Actually, Disney released a collection of shorts under the title Melody Time in 1948. Pecos Bill was one of the shorts. They rereleased it, editing it for television as part of the Disneyland series.

Here’s the imdb link... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040580/

I happened to remember seeing it as a kid. :)

Last edited:
Actually, Disney released a collection of shorts under the title Melody Time in 1948. Pecos Bill was one of the shorts. They rereleased it, editing it for television as part of the Disneyland series.

Here’s the imdb link... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040580/

I happened to remember seeing it as a kid. :)

I actually have an old VHS copy of Melody Time!

It has a Johnny Appleseed one in addition to Pecos Bill, and the parrot from the Three Caballeros is in it too ("Blame it on the Samba" with Donald Duck.)

This thread is so fun!

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious now, but one of the viewing "tasks" we found the hardest in our prep was finding classic cartoons of the Fab Five et al. We were staying at WL and realized the girls had no idea who Chip and Dale were. I was surprised to find how hard it was, either on Netflix/Amazon Prime or the local library, to find classic Disney cartoons. A handful, sure, but not much. It wound up being Youtube to the rescue, and any time we didn't have time for a feature before bed we'd just watch a short.

You find those characters more readily on Netfix if you are willing to watch holiday movies. My son is still watching Christmas Disney movies in April and they have many of the classic characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter