Lesser known movies directly related to WDW and the Resorts themes?

Swiss Family Treehouse and Swiss Family Robinson!! One of my favorite attractions.

It's not a Disney movie, but The Jungle Cruise was in large part inspired by The African Queen (1951).

And don't forget the Country Bear Movie!! Haha the one bear had a honey problem :rotfl2:

I’m sure many people know this one: the Sir Mickey’s shop in the Magic Kingdom. Willie the Giant Is peeking in and the beanstalk is comin through the walls. This is from the Mickey and the Giant segment from Fun and Fancy Free. I always loved the singing harp.

Interestingly "The Music Man" and "Meet Me in St. Louis" aren't even Disney films. While the latter most definitely influenced Main street USA, "The Music Man" didn't even exist until 1957, after Disneyland was created. I might say Main Street USA influenced it.

Per this PBS article, Meredith Willson began working on "The Music Man" in the early 1950s. Given that Disneyland didn't open until 1955, I doubt it had any influence over Willson.

Like Walt, Willson was quite fond of this Midwestern home town of Mason City, Iowa. I would bet lots of money that the fictitious town of River City was based on Willson's own childhood along with his experience being in a flute/piccolo player in the John Philip Sousa Band in the 1920s. He wouldn't have needed to draw on what Walt Disney was planning on doing at Disneyland.

http://www.iptv.org/iowapathways/mypath/meredith-willson

Per this PBS article, Meredith Willson began working on "The Music Man" in the early 1950s. Given that Disneyland didn't open until 1955, I doubt it had any influence over Willson.

Like Walt, Willson was quite fond of this Midwestern home town of Mason City, Iowa. I would bet lots of money that the fictitious town of River City was based on Willson's own childhood along with his experience being in a flute/piccolo player in the John Philip Sousa Band in the 1920s. He wouldn't have needed to draw on what Walt Disney was planning on doing at Disneyland.

http://www.iptv.org/iowapathways/mypath/meredith-willson

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Still, it was definitely not possible for Music Man to have inspired Main Street USA either based on the timing. Being based on similar, midwestern hometowns makes sense though.

I remember going to DL in 1985 and buying the plush "Elliot" from Oete's Dragon. And he was only like $12!!!!
7c91fe61c977d3c3d4a8c63a9aad27d1.jpg

I don;t think there are any references to that movie in any of the parks now :(

I remember going to DL in 1985 and buying the plush "Elliot" from Oete's Dragon. And he was only like $12!!!!

I don't think there are any references to that movie in any of the parks now :(

I think I remember seeing Elliot in the old Main Street Electrical Parade years ago, and I've heard they use one of the songs in the Electrical Water Pageant now (but I haven't seen that, so I'm not sure). Other than that, I don't know of anything.

I think I remember seeing Elliot in the old Main Street Electrical Parade years ago, and I've heard they use one of the songs in the Electrical Water Pageant now (but I haven't seen that, so I'm not sure). Other than that, I don't know of anything.

They do! Both the MSEP and the Electrical Water Pageant use "Brazzle Dazzle Day" from Pete's Dragon. Since the ELP is still running, it is one of the last vestiges of that movie. Interestingly, the recent "Dreaming Up" parade at Tokyo Disneyland's first song after the through line is a very pepped-up version of that same song!

7c91fe61c977d3c3d4a8c63a9aad27d1.jpg

I don;t think there are any references to that movie in any of the parks now :(

Love it!! I think we'll all remember the Main Street Parade. :sad1::sad:

I really wish that movie would have more presence in the parks.

I did not know that tony’s in MK was a nod to the Italian restaurant in Lady and the Tramp, which is quite embarrassing because it was a favorite movie of mine as a child. (I got to see it in the movie theater with my dad during some sort or rerelease or matinee special... it was a real treat.)

Love Bug Section of ASMovies: At the end of two of the buildings it has the words "Bananas" & "Monte Carlo" I was watching a video last week and the person said he had no idea why those words were there...; Herbie Goes Bananas & Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo are two of the sequels to The Love Bug. I guess I'm just old...

Ha, thanks for reminding me about htis thread. I love it.

Hopefully Disney+ will have a lot of these movies available for streaming. If it does, they're going to have to pry me from my couch!

Loved the Imagineering stories too! Gotta work through more movies now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!