Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

Honestly kind of depends upon how much time in a given day that I’ve worn a mask and if it goes in the laundry basket or gets worn a second/third day. For the last couple of days I’ve only worn my mask while dropping the kiddos off at daycare so I use hand sanitizer, take the mask off, and then set it on the front passenger seat until the next day. For times when I’m in and out of a store or a couple of stores or in a single location for 30+ minutes then I’ll toss it in the laundry basket once I’m back home.

I had to pull on the ear loops some and then they were fine.
We just got our shopdisney masks today and I'm so sad. The medium is too small for our 10 year old and there is no way either myself or DH can wear the large. They pull so much on the ears. I chatted them through FB and they're giving me an electronic gift card for $45 despite the fact that they are non-refundable. I'm just going to donate all of them to our kids' school.

How many of you are good about washing your masks? Give me the full honest report because I’m terrible about it the more time goes on haha. I just keep alternating back and forth between them hoping that’s fine. But we also only go places where we need to wear them twice a week.
I read an article last week and it mentioned that frequent washing can break down fabric fibers and make the masks less effective - their recommendation was to only wash when they’re actually dirty in some way, and to put in a place where they’re sometimes in sunlight/fresh air and leave 4-5 days between wears.

I don’t think I saved the article, but I’ll see if I can find it...

I read an article last week and it mentioned that frequent washing can break down fabric fibers and make the masks less effective - their recommendation was to only wash when they’re actually dirty in some way, and to put in a place where they’re sometimes in sunlight/fresh air and leave 4-5 days between wears.

I don’t think I saved the article, but I’ll see if I can find it...

This makes me feel much better lol! I alternate between masks and let the others just chill for a few days. But my people contact is pretty minimal. Been surviving this summer on my kayak hiding on the lake from the world. 🛶

... Out of all the masks I’ve bought (and believe me I’ve tried way too many lol) my Old Navy masks remain the ones I wear the most!
Agree, out of all the masks I've tried (quite a few so far!), the ones I wear the most often are (w/o a filter) Old Navy and Everlane and (w/N95 filter) Nordstrom.

How many of you are good about washing your masks? Give me the full honest report because I’m terrible about it the more time goes on haha...
Our masks go right into a lingerie bag in the laundry room after each use. (We have lots of masks, so this isn't a big deal) When the bag gets full, it goes in the wash. Sensitive skin/scent free detergent, Skin Care rinse (twice) with white vinegar to remove any soap residue. Hang up to dry. So far, this has helped to prevent maskne and any skin reactions to the mask itself.

I briefly wore the small world hello mask. It fit snuggly against my face and did not pull my ears. I was comfortable in it.
Good to know -- thanks for the review! Sounds like Disney is getting a handle on the sizing and fit issues.

How many of you are good about washing your masks? Give me the full honest report because I’m terrible about it the more time goes on haha. I just keep alternating back and forth between them hoping that’s fine. But we also only go places where we need to wear them twice a week.
From the Community Board in the Just for Fun Forum: How often do you REALLY wash your masks?

Me too. I think the problem with the exhalation masks is that the media hasn't spoken about it. We only found out that the N95 masks (we had bought them for smoke from wild fires) were not good because of the exhalation valve until my dad went to the DR's and they wouldn't let him wear it. They gave him a surgical mask to wear instead. We are back to saving those N95's for fire season when air quality is bad and wearing our cloth or surgical masks for covid.
We always have N95s for home renovations. But they have the valve. I want us to wear one in the airports and on the flights so I found this hack and did it. Easy and worked great.

Even though airlines haven't banned them yet (IMO they should) I couldn't in all good conscience wear them with that open valve.

I wash mine once per week but I have lots of masks. In any day, I wear 3 or 4 different masks/face coverings. If I have spent a lot of time talking in a mask, it doesn't get worn again. If I am just throwing on a mask to run an errand, that mask will be reused several times in the week.

We always have N95s for home renovations. But they have the valve. I want us to wear one in the airports and on the flights so I found this hack and did it. Easy and worked great.

Even though airlines haven't banned them yet (IMO they should) I couldn't in all good conscience wear them with that open valve.
Delta has now banned them, I would think others will follow now that the word is getting out.

We’re a fan of this 3D style with a nose wire - secure, doesn’t shift around, and easy to talk in because it’s structured with topstitching so it’s not on top of your mouth.

I haven’t seen this style as much as some of the others, but you can find a bunch on Etsy if you search “3D face mask.”View attachment 512553

These are our current favorite as well. Also called the Octagon Mask (because the fabric is cut in an octagon shape). It's very easy to make- I have a detailed pdf with instructions I can send if anyone wants it. This video also has a simplified version (no nose wire but you could add one): Simplified 3D Mask Tutorial

These are our current favorite as well. Also called the Octagon Mask (because the fabric is cut in an octagon shape). It's very easy to make- I have a detailed pdf with instructions I can send if anyone wants it. This video also has a simplified version (no nose wire but you could add one): Simplified 3D Mask Tutorial
I’m working on a whole variety of them as an act of hope!E8FFF248-A604-4D66-9D2C-50803DC40D4C.jpeg

My son's Disney masks finally shipped. The notification nearly made me cry, and not happy tears either.

I ordered my son eight mask back in May - Star Wars and Marvel - in anticipation of him starting kindergarten, so that he would have a fun and clean mask every day. Well, we found out yesterday there will be no kindergarten, at least beyond the four sides of our kitchen table. So the shipping notification just felt like yet another reminder of milestones that will be missed, and memories that will not be made. This is of course not Disney's fault. I'm sure the masks will be wonderful and the boy will be happy to have them. Just... the pile-on of what this virus has stolen is really starting to get to me 😞

Last edited:
I've got masks with Disney prints, one with the lower part of Darth Vaders mask, several plain black and because life is feeling very dystopian some days, I ordered a mask that looks like something from Mad Max.

My son's Disney masks finally shipped. The notification nearly made me cry, and not happy tears either.

I ordered my son eight mask back in May - Star Wars and Marvel - in anticipation of him starting kindergarten, so that he would have a fun and clean mask every day. Well, we found out yesterday there will be no kindergarten, at least beyond the four sides of our kitchen table. So the shipping notification just felt like yet another reminder of milestones that will be missed, and memories that will not be made. This is of course not Disney's fault. I'm sure the masks will be wonderful and the boy will be happy to have them. Just... the pile-on of what this virus has stolen is really starting to get to me 😞

I know what you mean, EmJ. For the past three years, I volunteered in a Kindergarten class. I will sorely miss helping the little ones learn -- covering their little hand with mine and teaching them to make their letters, or celebrating with them when they learned to read their first words. Volunteers will not be allowed back on campus if and when we return, so I will not be able to do what I love.

Sorry for going off topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!