Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

This is an odd question, but how does everyone wash their masks? I've just been putting them in wash and hanging to dry. Is there a secret to getting them to last long? I worry that since we have to wear masks in all public places here in Los Angeles, they will get worn out.

My hubs, master sewer (Seamster? Tailor? Fabric sorcerer) that he is has been making me masks for work because they're required and they provide us with TERRIBLE paper masks that like to slip up and touch my eyeballs. Double sewn five hundred thread count cotton because we raided pillowcases. Mine so far are just black or maroon but we have some fabric on order. Rainbow stripes for Pride, and some neat gothy stuff with little eyes all over it

Here's some he made for my family before the ties got added in!

This is an odd question, but how does everyone wash their masks? I've just been putting them in wash and hanging to dry. Is there a secret to getting them to last long? I worry that since we have to wear masks in all public places here in Los Angeles, they will get worn out.

I just wash mine in unscented dish soap by hand, rinse then hang up to dry.

Great thread.

Thankyou O.P. and all those for posting their info.

Any tips or online masks for a large face and beard?

I've been washing mine in a lingerie bag with my regular detergent. I've also been drying it in the bag in my dryer. I've had no issues. I guess it's made well as I have been wearing it at least 5 days a week and washing it a lot since March.

Love this thread. I’m trying to find something comfortable. I got a couple of the pleated ones but they are to big for my face. I have ordered a contoured one and hope that will work better for me. I find that they make me feel suffocated so I’ve been wearing the one i have around the house even though it is to big. Hoping it helps me get used to it. I did find some disposable ones the other day and they feel a little better but I would rather use a washable one if possible.

any tips on feeling less Claustrophobic with the masks?

Love this thread. I’m trying to find something comfortable. I got a couple of the pleated ones but they are to big for my face. I have ordered a contoured one and hope that will work better for me. I find that they make me feel suffocated so I’ve been wearing the one i have around the house even though it is to big. Hoping it helps me get used to it. I did find some disposable ones the other day and they feel a little better but I would rather use a washable one if possible.

any tips on feeling less Claustrophobic with the masks?
I find it easier (& my boss who has asthma agrees) to breathe in them if I consciously try to breathe through my nose. I tend to feel more uncomfortable when I catch myself breathing through my mouth. It does help to practice wearing them, so you're doing the right thing.

I find it easier (& my boss who has asthma agrees) to breathe in them if I consciously try to breathe through my nose. I tend to feel more uncomfortable when I catch myself breathing through my mouth. It does help to practice wearing them, so you're doing the right thing.
This^^^

It helps to get used to talking with them on, as well. I find I have to adjust some styles of masks more than others after talking for a bit, because of the way it fits on my face. It's important to find one that fits your face well, because the less you have to fix it, the more comfortable you'll feel wearing it for longer periods.

We ordered ours from Red Bubble, I got Star Wars themed ones and my wife got William Morris fabric designs. The seller I got the Star Wars masks from also had matching socks...................YES, yes i got the matching socks (I am such a Dork). I will post pictures once we get them, which should be in the next week hopefully as I got an email this evening saying they were shipped.

I sew a bit and have been trying out some different patterns. I still have another I want to try out to find the Goldilocks version, but the ones I have are fine. I had some leftover fabric from the sundress I made for my daughter on our very first Disney trip in 2013, when she was 7. That makes them extra special.
Edited to add photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 27
Great new thread, sad that we even have to have it but it will pass eventually ! I have heard that valve masks while good for the wearer do little to protect others.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/ditch-valve-face-mask-pros-cons/story?id=70511555
For cloth masks with an exhalation valve, you can cut up N95 filters or coffee filters (much less expensive) to fit inside the valves. We're doing this for DH's masks that have the valves because the valves really do help him breathe easier while wearing the masks.

Agree with the pp about washing the masks in a lingerie bag. We use unscented detergent (Trader Joe's or Seventh Generation) for less skin irritation, rinse twice, and hang up to air dry. So far, so good!

For cloth masks with an exhalation valve, you can cut up N95 filters or coffee filters (much less expensive) to fit inside the valves. We're doing this for DH's masks that have the valves because the valves really do help him breathe easier while wearing the masks.

That is an interesting solution ! They recommend 3 layers so are you using 3 layers of coffee filters ? I would like to try this solution but afraid that if masks are required that 1. they will not allow this type or 2. people would think I was not using a mask that helps protect them.

The Office Depot in Culver City has 3 layer disposable masks in packs of 50. Not sure if all locations carry them but it could be worth checking. The masks fit my face very well! No gaps!

We ordered ours from Red Bubble, I got Star Wars themed ones and my wife got William Morris fabric designs. The seller I got the Star Wars masks from also had matching socks...................YES, yes i got the matching socks (I am such a Dork). I will post pictures once we get them, which should be in the next week hopefully as I got an email this evening saying they were shipped.
Thanks for this! I’ve been searching for some cute ones for when I go back to work and I’d totally forgotten about Red Bubble. They have some really nice prints!

We have a variety here at our house. I had ordered some basic cloth masks from Etsy back in March...nothing fancy, but one per family member and they have the adjustable nosepiece (which I really like). I have a healthcare background and have worn masks for years, but it's still dramatically different to do so in these circumstance.
Since this all started, I have ordered some through Norwex- the fabric they are made from filters a certain micron size particle and I really like these. They are soft and really my preference, but a tad big for my face.
I also ordered a couple extra cloth masks in Disney fabrics. Why? Well, because they are Disney.

I've washed ours after a couple uses. My son also has a fabric in a particular color that was provided by his work.

My hubs, master sewer (Seamster? Tailor? Fabric sorcerer) that he is has been making me masks for work because they're required and they provide us with TERRIBLE paper masks that like to slip up and touch my eyeballs. Double sewn five hundred thread count cotton because we raided pillowcases. Mine so far are just black or maroon but we have some fabric on order. Rainbow stripes for Pride, and some neat gothy stuff with little eyes all over it

Here's some he made for my family before the ties got added in!

View attachment 496862

I just wash mine in unscented dish soap by hand, rinse then hang up to dry.

I sew a bit and have been trying out some different patterns. I still have another I want to try out to find the Goldilocks version, but the ones I have are fine. I had some leftover fabric from the sundress I made for my daughter on our very first Disney trip in 2013, when she was 7. That makes them extra special.
Edited to add photos.

Do either of you have a pattern you could share or a link to one? I have made the pleated one but I'd like to try the contoured one. Thanks.

@theluckyrabbit I am checking out the buff style you mentioned... my 13 yo son still wants to go even with a mask requirement (husband and the 15 yo do not) so this might be an option. It seems like it might stay up more easily and that way we don't have to worry about earpieces with sunglasses or something tying behind my head (I usually have my hair in a ponytail). Maybe I'll buy one now and we can "try it on."

I do wonder how hot it will be in the summer, tho... ugh!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I ordered disposable masks from cleanzonemask.com that were advertised on tv, they were spendy 30 masks for 60 dollars but i got them in about a week. I ordered the mikey mouse set the first day they were available, so i hope i get them soon, I ordered teh princess and frozen set too,= a couple of days ago now says july 15th. My work just got disposable face masks so plan on wearing the disposable with the disney ones for added protection. I just hope the disney ones arent too tight around the ears as some cloth masks ive tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!