Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

We’re in the Del Sur area of San Diego and rarely see others wearing any type of masks when they are out walking or socializing in the green space / parks. Hopefully the valve masks you see have the filters in place.
It's so easy to put filters in the valves -- and some masks with valves even come with filters that fit in the valves.

Here’s the official wording on Face Coverings on the updated WDW site:

Face Coverings
All Guests ages 3 and up—along with Cast Members—are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings should:

Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
Be secured with ties or ear loops
Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

This piece is interesting as we’ve been using gaitors- but I imagine those would be fine? I wonder how picky they will be about types of masks worn? Like we discussed, the ones with valves aren’t safe for others unless they have a filter. Be curious to see how closely this is monitored.

This piece is interesting as we’ve been using gaitors- but I imagine those would be fine? I wonder how picky they will be about types of masks worn? Like we discussed, the ones with valves aren’t safe for others unless they have a filter. Be curious to see how closely this is monitored.
I checked with @rteetz and he said gaiters and the Buffs were being allowed at DSprings so they should be fine for the parks.

I’d still choose the mask that Is most protective for you knowing that you’ll encounter other guests who won’t always be wearing their masks.

I’d still choose the mask that Is most protective for you knowing that you’ll encounter other guests who won’t always be wearing their masks.

Good point, we mostly use those for walking the dogs so we can pull them up if we run into people and none of the joggers in our parks ever wear masks. I still wonder if they’re going to allow people to walk and eat? That’s a sure fire way to get around wearing them a lot and kinda defeats the purpose. Although i’m not gonna act like i’d be above eating an extra churro for a mask break here and there...

I did see WDW was going to have some ‘mask relief’ areas allowed which is a positive i think! We had a real hot day here and it was uncomfortable wearing them outside- gonna have to train for it i guess!

How are we supposed to tell if a valve mask has a filter ? Seems to me that they should ban them in the parks and make it easier on security. I just hope that if we have to wear a mask in the park that they actually enforce it.

we mostly use those for walking the dogs so we can pull them up if we run into people
If they are made of polyester/dri-fit fabric without cotton, tacking in a piece of cotton fabric will provide better filtration of microscopic particles as compared to the polyester-alone.

The Disney masks have 2 layers of cotton which should provide great filtration.

Another thing is to have a few masks with you in a Ziploc so you can change out to a clean one after you exit a restroom.

Last edited:

Face Coverings
All Guests ages 3 and up—along with Cast Members—are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings should:

Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.
Looks like the face shields don't make the cut with these guidelines.

I sure hope they will be allowed... I just can't imagine not being able to drink all the time, we are constantly guzzling water whenever we are at the parks, I think I once went a couple hours without and I couldn't even make it to the park the next day I got so sunsick, nothing gets me as dehydrated as Disneyland apparently and my whole family is the same. Also, just going an hour shopping with a mask and my face is so sore with welts already starting to form and I feel so exhausted from the lack of oxygen I guess? so I can't imagine how I'll manage fast walking wearing one all day. At least I suppose I won't end up with sunburnt lips! I'm really hoping the face shields will ultimately make the cut though, the thought of having something touching my face with germs on it really gives me a lot of anxiety... I'm already pushing my germaphobe limits whenever I go to DL and go through a ton of disinfectant and soap wipes there already. I guess I'll be having to figure out how to make room in my waist pack for a large supply of masks as well.

I think that's because face shields only protect the wearer. Masks are to protect everyone else from the person who's wearing the masks germs. My work has instructed us that if people come in only wearing shields, we are to ask them to also wear a mask or cloth face covering.

Be secured with ties or ear loops..
As soon as I saw the wording about ear loops and ties, I thought that it was to prevent guests from wearing only face shields. As @hiroMYhero said, the gaitors/Buffs have been fine so far at Disney Springs, so I think that face masks with ties or loops and gaitors/Buffs will be fine. Current regulations for OC (CA) and L.A. County allow masks with valves. If regulations change by the time DLR reopens, you'll see the news posted here and on the DLR trip planning board.

Does anyone have specific brand recommendations for cheaper neck gaiters/tubes? I’m overwhelmed with the options. I hear Buff is good (and I see a few people mentioned it here), but it’s hard for me to swallow a $20-30 purchase for something that might not work for me.

Does anyone have specific brand recommendations for cheaper neck gaiters/tubes? I’m overwhelmed with the options. I hear Buff is good (and I see a few people mentioned it here), but it’s hard for me to swallow a $20-30 purchase for something that might not work for me.
I like Buffs (and I was using them before all this as headbands), but for masks, we have those and generic ones that we've found on Amazon. I don't have an exact brand name, but some of ours were as inexpensive as a dozen for less than $20. The generic ones are a little smaller than a brand name Buff, but that hasn't caused any problems mask-wise.

I like Buffs (and I was using them before all this as headbands), but for masks, we have those and generic ones that we've found on Amazon. I don't have an exact brand name, but some of ours were as inexpensive as a dozen for less than $20. The generic ones are a little smaller than a brand name Buff, but that hasn't caused any problems mask-wise.
Thank you! I was looking at a pack of 6 Nextour for $17 because I like the neutral colors. But Buff is advertising some cooling features. Do you find one covering hotter than the other?

Thank you! I was looking at a pack of 6 Nextour for $17 because I like the neutral colors. But Buff is advertising some cooling features. Do you find one covering hotter than the other?
When wearing as a headband, I do like the cooling Buffs, e.g. when hiking or at the beach. I haven't had to wear a regular Buff/gaitor long enough without a/c to notice a difference. Usually I'm at a medical office or at a store -- nothing around here has been open long enough for me to really test the cooling difference. Now, the fleece Buffs -- that's a whole 'nother story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!