Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
Let’s talk masks! But let’s talk about ‘style/type/etc.’ and NOT argue about whether or not they should be worn.

Since it looks like masks will be given in the park future, I’m trying to figure out which ones were going to use.

What type do you like?

Anyone get their Disney masks in the mail yet? We ordered Star Wars and Mickey- I hope they’re comfy because they’re so cute.

What about bandanas or buffs?

Anyone going to go all out with Disney styles?

Again... PLEASE no mask arguing/complaining/etc. I’m just curious about what everyone else is thinking of doing. There’s a huge thread of the ‘mask vs no mask’ debate happening on one of the general DIS boards. Take that debate over there and don’t bring it here. Trying to make this a positive thing as best as I can and turn it into another Disney trip shopping list item. 🥰

Finally a sensible conversation :Pinkbounc

My country has now made masks / face coverings a recommendation when in shops and on public transport, so I am building up my stock.

As I am in Ireland, the Disney masks are not on my shop Disney and if I buy them from the USA shop Disney I will get charged import tax, so I have ordered some from Amazon.

After seeing discussions about neck gaiters I have also ordered 2 non Disney gaiters from Amazon as well.

I have some new , unworn Disney socks which I am going to make into masks, using YouTube tutorials.

I also have a Hard Rock Cafe bandanna which I will use too.

My mom found some disposable masks in our local grocery store today, so we are going to stock up on them too. Most likely I will use the disposable masks as a filter and wear a neck gaiter over it, to make it look nice :)

I have a bunch of disposable masks, but I wanted something Disney as well, I couldn't justify 35 euro postage costs from the US Disney Store to Europe, and I didn't really like the design. So I ordered a bunch from an Etsy Seller from the UK (also, support local! :) ) https://www.etsy.com/shop/HandmadeHolCreations Friendly and nice to work with.

When I shopped on Etsy, besides the postage, I just looked for designs that appealed to me. I didn't go for selfmade, as I am not very crafty, and also these kind of fabrics are rare in the Netherlands (as in: I don't know where to start looking). Plus, as I only needed two masks for myself, I didn't need a lot of fabric, and I didn't want to create more waste.
I used the measurements on the Disneystore website to indicate what size I would need, what I would advice for people who are buying on Etsy, don't forget to also be specific about the length of the elastic bands. For the Disney princess one on the right, the elastic is a bit too tight around my left ear to be comfortable, but I presume it will stretch, otherwise I should be crafty enough to replace it :P

Last edited:

My latest obsession has become looking for reusable/washable colorful/patterned masks. This is what happens when you're restricted from shopping in person for an extended period of time. :)

So far I have masks from:

(1) Amazon - the masks came from somewhere overseas and took 3 weeks to arrive. Flamingo fabric pattern with elastic ear loops. I like the design, and the fabric seems to be a polyester or poly blend. I also ordered a second style from a different seller on Amazon, which never arrived. I was disappointed since it was a pretty pattern - outline of 3 cats on a tree branch with a full moon on a teal background. It was coming from somewhere overseas as well. The seller gave me an invalid tracking number that had already been used and was not very responsive to my inquiries. When the masks didn't arrive in the indicated time frame (about 3 weeks) Amazon gave me a refund without argument. Considering price plus shipping, these were the most expensive masks I tried to buy at $20 each.

(2) Nextdoor website - I found a person who lives less than 10 minutes away from me who makes masks and also donates masks to local organizations. These were the cheapest masks I've found so far ($5 each), and I gave her an additional donation so she could make more donation. These are made from cotton fabric in local sports team patterns (Pittsburgh Steelers or Pittsburgh Penguins). These masks have ties - one on the back of the head and one lower, on the neck. Overall I much prefer ear loops to ties. Some of the masks have minor fraying after washing, it looks like the material was cut too close to the seams on those.

(3) ShopDisney - I ordered the first day they were available and expect to receive them around the end of June. I ordered the Mickey and Minnie design.

(4) Finally I thought to look on Etsy, which has been a veritable gold mine. Lots of styles/fabrics and good prices. I found masks I like at prices of $8 or $10. Yesterday I received the first Etsy masks I ordered. Color purple (my favorite), cotton fabric, elastic ear loops, came with an S hook to relieve ear pressure and a filter pocket and material to use for filter if desired. These ones have a pipe cleaner inserted inside the top seam and it's the easiest/best fit to my nose and does the best job at keeping my glasses from fogging up. Other masks I'm waiting for from Etsy are an allover Mickey design and Penn State fabric.

(5) My first "mask" was a purple cotton bandana - I used the CDC website folding method to make it and used hair ties for ear loops.

Of all the masks I've tried I like the purple ones from Etsy the best. I think these will work best for my 90-year old mother (who has COPD and hasn't left the house since we had her 90th birthday party on March 7) when I have to take her for blood work in a couple weeks.

When all is said and done, I'll have 16 face masks in 10 different designs (not counting the bandana). So I hope I'm set for however long the mask requirement continues.

Last edited:
Right now I prefer the disposable masks because they fit me the best. I bought standard cloth ones from Etsy but they are way too big! I have another one that my dad’s cousin made me that’s fits well. But she knows my face size. I’m hoping that whenever Disney opens they sell the masks and I can gauge the sizing better.

I have become quite a mask snob! I prefer the elastic ones and a fitted face. I do not like the pleated ones, because I feel like I am always adjusting them. I do not like the tie masks either. I like Hawaiian prints and of course Disney prints. We ordered two sets from Disney, I hope they are sent in early June. :)

I just ordered some neck gaitors/buffs on Amazon... I had no idea there’s Disney patterns! I might have to get back on there and order more. 😂

We’re going to try them out hiking and see how it feels with the heat and exercise and then swap with the regular cloth mask. Experiment time! As long as we do a low incline hike, pretty similar to an afternoon at Disney with lots of walking and sun right?

I am also extremely bored and need something to focus on lol!

My son (10) thought he preferred a bandana, but wore it today for about 30 minutes in the store and was a sweaty mess after so need to find something that works better for him. The cloth mask I have a friend made (Wonder Woman fabric!) fits well but is so thick (which I know is safer..) that it’s uncomfortable. I ordered ones with the filter that look a little less thick so hoping the presence of a filter balances out the less fabric? 🤷‍♀️

I'm an "essential worker" (at least that's what they tell me). I have been wearing disposable masks from work with a Minnie Mouse cloth mask that one of my associates gave me over it, just to make things less depressing. As I am also immune compromised, I figure the double mask can't hurt. We also ordered masks from Disney the first day they were available. I expect to see them next month. I plan on wearing them for our September rescheduled trip whether they are mandatory or not. If Disney will let us come, we are going to be there. I just want to be as safe as possible when we do. I have found that since it is mandatory for me to wear them about 45-50 hours a week, you do get used to them. The ear pressure and heat no longer bother me.

We have some of the disposable masks from Amazon and those seem to fit just fine for the two of us but are too big for the kids.

I also ordered two sets of the Mickey & Minnie cloth masks from ShopDisney for us and then two sets of Monsters Inc and two sets of Frozen cloth masks for the kids. Originally placed these all thinking we’d be using all of these in the parks for our July trip possibly but thinking that is more and more likely not to happen as I can’t see the kiddos keeping them on their faces all day long. At the very least we’ll be stocked on masks for a long time to come!

I’ve also got some other cloth masks coming with different sports/bands designs as additional back ups.

We also got some of the filters for the cloth masks off Amazon but have yet to use them since we haven’t gotten any of the masks we’ve ordered.

Let’s talk masks! But let’s talk about ‘style/type/etc.’ and NOT argue about whether or not they should be worn.

Since it looks like masks will be given in the park future, I’m trying to figure out which ones were going to use.

What type do you like?

Anyone get their Disney masks in the mail yet? We ordered Star Wars and Mickey- I hope they’re comfy because they’re so cute.

What about bandanas or buffs?

Anyone going to go all out with Disney styles?

Again... PLEASE no mask arguing/complaining/etc. I’m just curious about what everyone else is thinking of doing. There’s a huge thread of the ‘mask vs no mask’ debate happening on one of the general DIS boards. Take that debate over there and don’t bring it here. Trying to make this a positive thing as best as I can and turn it into another Disney trip shopping list item. 🥰
We’ve been wearing mostly cloth masks I bought from an Etsy seller. My favorite is my Central Perk mask 😁 They are the kind that tie behind the head, and unfortunately my son (5) does not like them. He does better with the two masks we have that loop behind his ears, and even those he does not love.

Anyway, it’s looking like he’s going to have to wear a mask in kindergarten, if he gets to go at all, so to make it more appealing, I showed him the Marvel and Star Wars Disney masks. He said he will wear them, “especially the R2D2 one”, so I ordered both sets today. Fingers crossed! They aren’t expected to arrive until July 29 😳, so I’d love to hear from anyone who has theirs what you think of them.

I just ordered some neck gaitors/buffs on Amazon... I had no idea there’s Disney patterns! I might have to get back on there and order more. 😂

We’re going to try them out hiking and see how it feels with the heat and exercise and then swap with the regular cloth mask. Experiment time! As long as we do a low incline hike, pretty similar to an afternoon at Disney with lots of walking and sun right?

I am also extremely bored and need something to focus on lol!

My son (10) thought he preferred a bandana, but wore it today for about 30 minutes in the store and was a sweaty mess after so need to find something that works better for him. The cloth mask I have a friend made (Wonder Woman fabric!) fits well but is so thick (which I know is safer..) that it’s uncomfortable. I ordered ones with the filter that look a little less thick so hoping the presence of a filter balances out the less fabric? 🤷‍♀️
Thank you for starting this thread! Very useful AND fun!
We like the Buffs/generic Buffs -- easy to use, comfortable (soft, stretchy -- bandannas can be very scratchy and hard to soften up), and easy to wash. Also, Buffs do come in cooling, wicking fabrics, so if hot weather and sweating are an issue, look into those, too. I'm okay with the name brand Buffs costing a bit more because they can be reused multiple ways other than as face coverings -- so the cost goes farther. And the generic ones can be as inexpensive as a dozen/$18-$20. We've seen lots of kids in our area wearing them, so they seem to be popular with them. I keep a bag of about a dozen clean, folded Buffs in the car so that DH can grab one whenever he needs one. If his mask gets dirty from sneezing or whatever, he can throw it in the "dirty" bag and grab a clean Buff quickly. They can be folded over double for extra protection and can fit a filter (N95 or a coffee filter) in between the fold (a piece of double sided tape works great to hold it). Otherwise, I have some cloth masks from etsy with Disney patterns. Still waiting for my ShopDisney masks. And @DLgal had a winning tip for ear loop fatigue/annoyance: put a Disney pin (of course, Disney!) on each side of a baseball cap (I use a wide headband) right above each ear, then hook the ear loops over the pins. The masks stay on and are SO much more comfortable!

@DLgal had a winning tip for ear loop fatigue/annoyance: put a Disney pin (of course, Disney!) on each side of a baseball cap (I use a wide headband) right above each ear, then hook the ear loops over the pins. The masks stay on and are SO much more comfortable!

OMG, thanks for this, I missed this tip in all the great mask debates :rotfl2:

other tips I have seen
  • thread a ribbon or ling piece of cloth through the ear elastics and tie around your head
  • sew buttons onto an Alice band or hair band and hook the ear elastics around the buttons.
Also another thing, I never wore much makeup before, usually only for nights outs, not every day for work or out and about. But now since lockdown and all this free time, I've been experimenting a bit more. I'm thinking now with the masks / facecovering wearing , having good eye makeup makes it more into a look and a bit more individual. What do you think?
bandana.jpg

OMG, thanks for this, I missed this tip in all the great mask debates :rotfl2:

other tips I have seen
  • thread a ribbon or ling piece of cloth through the ear elastics and tie around your head
  • sew buttons onto an Alice band or hair band and hook the ear elastics around the buttons.
Also another thing, I never wore much makeup before, usually only for nights outs, not every day for work or out and about. But now since lockdown and all this free time, I've been experimenting a bit more. I'm thinking now with the masks / facecovering wearing , having good eye makeup makes it more into a look and a bit more individual. What do you think?
View attachment 496659
Another ear loop tip I saw was for those who wear glasses: put larger buttons -- one on each side of your glasses, attached with small rubber bands or even thin wire or a twist tie -- then put the ear loop over the buttons.
And you are right about emphasizing your eyes more when wearing a mask -- really makes a difference!

All the tips in this thread are great!

My DH is a major Packers fan and met the Rumors-News Mod when he and DD went to a game at Lambeau Field where rteetz works as a vendor.

As soon as WI rescinded their Stay at Home order, rteetz shopped for me and shipped out mask fabric.

These are the 100% cotton masks that are on their way to rteetz - yes, that is Quarterback Mickey 😷 :

83864C88-B273-41F7-8C4F-4682DAF81DB3.jpeg

I love the tips for making the masks more comfortable! That gives me hope for wearing them at Disney. Might be better to go in winter really... heat isn’t as much as an issue!

I have been extremely cautious and stayed home since March and gotten everything delivered. We just this week went inside a store for the first time so now I’m finally wrangling more with the mask wearing experience. My son said he hates them but he’ll do anything to go to Disney! That’s my boy. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!